PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions on my Rock Rail project...

CO Hummer
11-03-2006, 10:12 PM
I'm just starting my project to build some rock rails. In a few months, I'll probably be posting a request on how fix body damage. :D Anyway, I'm using 2x6 tubing for the outside rail. I've cut it to the length I want, but now I need to decide how to mount it.

I've been thinking that I'll stick it 3 INCHES off the body.

What to do guys think? Should I go to 4 inches outside? 2 inches?

Here are some photos of how it would look with 3 inch exposure.

http://atkinsweb.com/shared/RockRails/RR01.JPG

http://atkinsweb.com/shared/RockRails/RR03.JPG

http://atkinsweb.com/shared/RockRails/RR04.JPG

http://atkinsweb.com/shared/RockRails/RR02.JPG

paragoon
11-03-2006, 10:26 PM
For some reason, having something hard stick out about 3 inches sounds right to me! Do you think you can make them strong enough to hold a parson of my girth and stature?

PARAGON
11-03-2006, 10:35 PM
For some reason, having something hard stick out about 3 inches sounds right to me!Freudian Slip?

yours sticks out only 3 inches when hard?

poor nav

NEOCON1
11-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Lookin good CO , slide away :giggling:

homo thinks im the goon LMFAO :beerchug:

timgco
11-03-2006, 11:21 PM
Looks great Alan. I think that's about perfect to keep the sid eof your rig away from a wall maybe example (going up Hell's Gate).

I'm almost afraid to ask, but how far does Dirty's rock rails stick out or Phil's for that matter?

DDWH
11-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Looks good CO...you might want to seal the ends of those for better aerodynamics;)

NEOCON1
11-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Looks good CO...you might want to seal the ends of those for better aerodynamics;)

fill with foam first so you get the floatation advantage ;)

CO Hummer
11-03-2006, 11:53 PM

Of course. I'm gonna put some end caps on later.

Yeah, I'm thinking that 3" is enough. It will work both as side protection and a nice step for my shorty wife. :D

timgco
11-04-2006, 12:21 AM
Of course. I'm gonna put some end caps on later.

Yeah, I'm thinking that 3" is enough. It will work both as side protection and a nice step for my shorty wife. :D

Are you going to taper the ends into the truck?

Are you going to PC them yellow to match your shock boots?

CO Hummer
11-04-2006, 12:27 AM
Are you going to taper the ends into the truck?

Are you going to PC them yellow to match your shock boots?

No, I'm not going to taper them (may change my mind). I did angle them when I cut them to keep them from hanging up.

Not sure on the color. Black is planned, but yellow is a possibility.... :dancingbanana:

DennisAJC
11-04-2006, 12:30 AM
Are you going to war?:p It's gonna look good.

KenP
11-04-2006, 12:33 AM
I certainly would taper the ends. It would make them stonger at that point so they don't crush in.

3" out from the body should be sufficient. Find out what drty's are.

h2co-pilot
11-04-2006, 04:41 AM
I think Drty's protude less than that.

Sweet CO! Nice job. :beerchug:

Are you attaching it via the existing mount holes? I had thought of removing the actual rail and welding a new one to the factory bracket/support arms in such a way that it would be flush with the under body. Taking in the weight and shape difference of course. Maybe a makeshift rubber 'gasket' or tubing between the rail and the body. I also like the idea tacking a thin sheet along the arms for added protection of hang ups and for additional support of the new rail.

But then again- I don't weld or fabricate- just ideas.:)

I hate to admit it but a matching yellow would look nice- provided it be done right, but scraping is inevitable. You might coat the bottom and lip with a black or spray liner. Or a 2 part apoxy.....

Hey!, you could knit some great covers and switch them according to the season.;):D:D

DennisAJC
11-04-2006, 05:27 AM
Please spare your daughter. She too is innocent and should not be exposed to you drunken rage.

H2Finally
11-04-2006, 05:57 AM
CO, when I had my rockers extended that far out, I had a lot of prob with them getting hung-up in a rock-garden type of trail. I found that I had to take whole new and unfamiliar lines to fit/squeeze between boulders.

But then, I saw how well Drty and dochummer's extended rock rails did in Big Sluice in the Rubicon, and now I'm not certain if the problems I had was due to my rockers extending those far out, or just a bad wheeling day for me...

So, something you may want to think about when you fashion the mounting brackets -- would be nice if it is possible to adjust in the future as you form an opinion on how they perform.

Otherwise they look great aesthetically -- so long as you keep em sans the uber-ghey CO Hummer signatures.. :fdance:

HarryJ
11-04-2006, 06:05 AM
Please spare your daughter. She too is innocent and should not be exposed to you drunken rage.
You Sir, are easily enraged and a sick one :D

DennisAJC
11-04-2006, 06:17 AM
I love young boys. :D

And for that you are banned NEO.

ssgharkness020147
11-04-2006, 06:21 AM
Hell yeah CO. That looks awesome. I would taper the ends as others have said. All you need to do it remove a little strip from the top, V the sides, heat er up to bend it, and weld it back together.

BlueTJCO
11-04-2006, 06:36 AM
Looks nice. But if that is 3 inches, you should go with two. One inch narrower then what your pic shows and they would be perfect. The farther out they stick they more if a hindarance they may become in some situations.

DennisAJC
11-04-2006, 07:27 AM
Dennis, you enrage me. But I still love young boys.

Again buh-bye.:D

CO Hummer
11-04-2006, 07:37 AM
Are you attaching it via the existing mount holes? I had thought of removing the actual rail and welding a new one to the factory bracket/support arms in such a way that it would be flush with the under body. Taking in the weight and shape difference of course. Maybe a makeshift rubber 'gasket' or tubing between the rail and the body. I also like the idea tacking a thin sheet along the arms for added protection of hang ups and for additional support of the new rail.

I was originally going to cut off the existing rail mounts (the 5 u-shaped brackets) and attach them to this peice. However, they are not long enough for me reach the 2x6 and I'd need to weld in a filler. Instead, I'm going to make mounting brackets using some 2x2 1/4" square tubing with the some 1x1 1/8" supports. Who knows if it will work out. It's going to be a lot of angle cutting, but it surely won't bend like the current brackets/fins. I won't need the thin sheet for protection.

Hmmmm. With all the descenting opinions on the 3" extension, I'll probably back it off the 2.5". I'd like to keep it big enough to use a step too.

I don't really want to taper the fronts inward since I like the look the way it is. I've moved the front forward a little more that the stock rails, and I highly doubt I'd get wedged in between the rail and the tire. Gonna have to think about that one.

DennisAJC
11-04-2006, 07:59 AM
Ever thought of using some heavy gauge angle iron? that would look pretty decent hugging the bottom lip and it won't sacrifice your clearance.

CO Hummer
11-04-2006, 08:05 AM
Ever thought of using some heavy gauge angle iron? that would look pretty decent hugging the bottom lip and it won't sacrifice your clearance.

Where? You mean along the outside of the outer rails?

ssgharkness020147
11-04-2006, 08:49 AM
That would look sooooo sweet. There are a couple of company's that do this for the H1. Unlimited off road used to, but I do not think they are in business any longer. http://www.h123andmore.com/guards.html . These are the rockers I want for my truck. Notice the price tag??? Yeah, thats why I do not have them. :(

KenP
11-04-2006, 03:47 PM
CO, make sure you cover the ends with metal. It will add strength and keep junk out.

LOL, keep this up you proven lying freak:D Makes me LMFAO and takes all of 5 mins to create AEs here that you can?t stop.Talk about rent free! We own this KK.:giggling:

timgco
11-04-2006, 05:53 PM
That would look sooooo sweet. There are a couple of company's that do this for the H1. Unlimited off road used to, but I do not think they are in business any longer. http://www.h123andmore.com/guards.html . These are the rockers I want for my truck. Notice the price tag??? Yeah, thats why I do not have them. :(

Those do look well thought out. DAMN $ DAMN!

THey look to sttick ou around 3" or so also. I think that's fine. It will keep your door panels a little more away from rock...esp. when you are on a sideslope.

Cranky Steve
11-05-2006, 02:10 AM
Those do look well thought out. DAMN $ DAMN!

THey look to sttick ou around 3" or so also. I think that's fine. It will keep your door panels a little more away from rock...esp. when you are on a sideslope.

I concur, they are lined up nicely with the sidewall

PARAGON
11-05-2006, 02:41 AM
3 inches is, if anything, not enough. Mine are at 5" and are angle up at 10 degrees but are round tube. I am going to come back and plate the top for steps at some point.

Having them out there making wheeling nice since you feel like you can lean on them a little more with that extra width.

CO Hummer
11-06-2006, 04:38 PM
So I've made some progress....

Cut the brackets off the original rails:
http://www.atkinsweb.com/shared/RockRails/RR05.JPG

Then, cut out some extensions using 2x2 1/4" box tubing:
http://www.atkinsweb.com/shared/RockRails/RR06.JPG

Lined it up and tacked it all it. Hope to weld it solid tonight:
http://www.atkinsweb.com/shared/RockRails/RR07.JPG

ROX
11-06-2006, 08:06 PM
I can't believe you really weld.:giggling:

IMO, the rails should stick out about as far as the outside of your tires, but farther than the stock rails. 3 inches looks about right. Taper the corners and have them come back toward the rear tire a little farther. (like 4 or 5 inches) I would use a little thicker tubing for more strength.
Remember that your pant leg will rub the dirt off everytime you get in and out of the door, too.

I'm not going for new rails, I'm just going to buy a paint gun. ;)

CO Hummer
11-06-2006, 08:15 PM
Taper the corners and have them come back toward the rear tire a little farther. (like 4 or 5 inches) I would use a little thicker tubing for more strength.
Remember that your pant leg will rub the dirt off everytime you get in and out of the door, too.

Well.....It's a little late to bring to extend them farther back. Actually, I was considering shortening them a tad, but I'm gonna keep them as-is.

I've changed my mind about the taper. I will be tapering the corners. They rails stick out about 1/2" beyond the wheels. I don't want them to hang up, so they will be tapered in the front from about the middle of the 2x6.

PARAGON
11-06-2006, 11:39 PM
Well.....It's a little late to bring to extend them farther back. Actually, I was considering shortening them a tad, but I'm gonna keep them as-is.

I've changed my mind about the taper. I will be tapering the corners. They rails stick out about 1/2" beyond the wheels. I don't want them to hang up, so they will be tapered in the front from about the middle of the 2x6.

Yep, mine extend back 5 inches to match the contour and to get more protection back there. If you are on small sharp rocks and slide off, it can wedge between the rocker and the wheel.

CO Hummer
11-06-2006, 11:53 PM
Yep, mine extend back 5 inches to match the contour and to get more protection back there. If you are on small sharp rocks and slide off, it can wedge between the rocker and the wheel.

I extended mine about 2.5" farther back than the stock rails.

PARAGON
11-07-2006, 12:00 AM
I extended mine about 2.5" farther back than the stock rails.

Mine look goofy because they back into that area where it angles upward and starts into the rear wheelwell, but it offers extra protection.

CO Hummer
11-07-2006, 12:11 AM
Mine look goofy because they back into that area where it angles upward and starts into the rear wheelwell, but it offers extra protection.

Post some pics, man!

PARAGON
11-07-2006, 12:19 AM
Post some pics, man!No

h2co-pilot
11-07-2006, 12:28 AM
Yes.

PARAGON
11-07-2006, 01:08 AM
Yes.Nope, Alec will just photochop it with bigger than normal rockers

ROX
11-07-2006, 01:16 AM
Nope, Alec will just photochop it with bigger than normal knockers:D

PARAGON
11-07-2006, 01:18 AM
:DI already have those

h2co-pilot
11-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Well ....

Any Progress?:popcorn:

Have you been blinded by the torch?

CO Hummer
11-07-2006, 04:19 PM
Well ....

Any Progress?:popcorn:

Have you been blinded by the torch?

Yep. Started on the driver's side last night. I chopped off the brackets last night. Got them all sanded down, ready for welding.

Tonight I'll mount them, tack them, and hopefully get to welding everything.

ROX
11-07-2006, 06:29 PM
It's gonna be great! Glad you still have some eyesight too.:) :D

BlueTJCO
11-07-2006, 06:45 PM
So you ran spring creek and decided you needed some rock rails...:fdance:

CO Hummer
11-07-2006, 06:46 PM
So you ran spring creek and decided you needed some rock rails...:fdance:

:D :D :D Good point. I hadn't thought of that - but they'll work out nicely for the rock garden!

h2co-pilot
11-07-2006, 08:44 PM
Yep. Started on the driver's side last night. I chopped off the brackets last night. Got them all sanded down, ready for welding.

Tonight I'll mount them, tack them, and hopefully get to welding everything.

Good LAWD! I freaking forgot about the other side!!!:eek::o :D

It's coming along tho!:beerchug:

CO Hummer
11-09-2006, 05:21 PM
Update: Both sides are tacked and I've removed them from the rig.

http://www.atkinsweb.com/shared/RockRails/RR09.JPG

I started the welding last night, hope to finish everything by this weekend. Much fun!

http://www.atkinsweb.com/shared/RockRails/RR10.JPG

ROX
11-09-2006, 06:38 PM
:perfect10s:

What's the next project? New furniture?:D

CO Hummer
11-09-2006, 06:40 PM

Hey, I made that welding table in the above pic.

Next major project is railings for my back deck. :)

BlueTJCO
11-09-2006, 06:59 PM

The next project is welding my new tire carrier on the rear of my Heep:)

Thanks CO, and yes...thanksgiving weekend would work awesome. I'll be in touch!

Ryan

CO Hummer
11-09-2006, 07:02 PM
The next project is welding my new tire carrier on the rear of my Heep:)

Thanks CO, and yes...thanksgiving weekend would work awesome. I'll be in touch!

Ryan

Sound good, Moonie! Maybe as a bonus we can weld on a "I love Hummers" signature plate. :D :D

BlueTJCO
11-09-2006, 07:07 PM
:shhh: Sound good, Moonie! Maybe as a bonus we can weld on a "I love Hummers" signature plate. :D :D

I will let you engrave it on the rack.:)

This is such great news that we have a fellow welder in the house...now to those tabs for the Ford 8.8 in the rear.....

CO Hummer
11-09-2006, 08:04 PM
I'll tag your jeep with this. :D :D :D

http://www.atkinsweb.com/shared/misc/COH_w.JPG

Cranky Steve
11-10-2006, 03:27 AM
Nice Job!!! I'd run those on my rig anyday!!!

CO Hummer
11-12-2006, 07:42 AM
Gettin' close now.

Finally welded everything in place.
http://www.atkinsweb.com/shared/RockRails/RR11.JPG

CO Hummer
11-12-2006, 07:44 AM
Next, time to work on the caps. I decided to taper them a bit, on the front side only. For the fun of it, I put it a 1/4" support near the corner since that part takes the most hits.

http://www.atkinsweb.com/shared/RockRails/RR12.JPG

Then, welded the caps on. Not designed to look pretty yet.
http://www.atkinsweb.com/shared/RockRails/RR13.JPG

CO Hummer
11-12-2006, 07:45 AM
Used the grinder on them.
http://www.atkinsweb.com/shared/RockRails/RR14.JPG

Then the flap disc:
http://www.atkinsweb.com/shared/RockRails/RR15.JPG

CO Hummer
11-12-2006, 07:48 AM
I left the rear ends flat. I like how they look. :D

http://www.atkinsweb.com/shared/RockRails/RR16.JPG

I'm pretty happy with the front caps too.
http://www.atkinsweb.com/shared/RockRails/RR17.JPG

ONE THING LEFT: Painting. The weather is supposed to be cold and snowy tomorrow, so I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to paint them in 50+ degree weather. :mad:

DRTYFN
11-12-2006, 08:11 AM
Nice. Now go find yourself a Honda Element and test them out.:jump:

CO Hummer
11-12-2006, 08:15 AM
Nice. Now go find yourself a Honda Element and test them out.:jump:

Hahaha! :D I almost forgot about that. I'm gonna be original and see what I can do to a Prius.

DRTYFN
11-12-2006, 08:18 AM
Hahaha! :D I almost forgot about that. I'm gonna be original and see what I can do to a Prius.
I expect to hear about your automotive hip-check of the Prius into the boards.:jump:

ssgharkness020147
11-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Good job CO. Those turned out really nice, and your finish work is quite exceptional. I look forward to hearing how they hold up for you.

h2co-pilot
11-12-2006, 01:46 PM
:beerchug:

Very Nice!:cool:

What color are you going to paint them?

PARAGON
11-12-2006, 02:35 PM
:beerchug:

Very Nice!:cool:

What color are you going to paint them?He told me green

Cranky Steve
11-12-2006, 05:17 PM

I know what happens when a Sentra broadsides a beefy slider like those!!! Nothing to the Truck with the Sliders!!!

Sentra Totaled .... :OWNED:

timgco
11-12-2006, 05:32 PM
Damn ALan!
I'll offer a case of cigars, Highlift mount, and a blackedout grille.

deal?

LOL- Are you planning on making another set?

ROX
11-12-2006, 05:37 PM
NICE! So when do you start taking orders?:D

DennisAJC
11-12-2006, 07:14 PM
That's beautiful work CO. Can't wait to see the finish.:beerchug:

DRTYFN
11-12-2006, 07:33 PM
That's beautiful work CO. Can't wait to see the finish.:beerchug:
:clapping:

datapimp69
11-13-2006, 05:12 AM
dude thay look great. are you going to make these? if not do you mind if i copy your design and make my own. i wouldnt want to rip you off with out asking first.

CO Hummer
11-13-2006, 06:19 AM
dude thay look great. are you going to make these? if not do you mind if i copy your design and make my own. i wouldnt want to rip you off with out asking first.

Of course, you can copy my design. But you are not authorized to put a CO Hummer autograph anywhere on the rails without a licensing agreement. :D

ipeefreely
11-13-2006, 07:11 AM
lol. looks great co! :perfect10s: :perfect10s: :perfect10s:

CO Hummer
11-13-2006, 08:02 AM
:clapping:

Hmmmm. Green? Maybe.

But I'm still considering an "Ahoy" version.....

h2co-pilot
11-13-2006, 12:58 PM
:jump: :clapping: :jump:

ROX
11-13-2006, 06:05 PM
AHOY!!!:clapping: HAHA!!:jump:

datapimp69
11-14-2006, 05:36 AM
Of course, you can copy my design. But you are not authorized to put a CO Hummer autograph anywhere on the rails without a licensing agreement. :D

thanks man, i think i am going to make a set. i hope by autograph you dont mean, pissing on them after to many beers :crying:

hell if we meet in mohob in the spring i will let you "sign" them :clapping:

DRTYFN
11-14-2006, 05:54 AM
Hmmmm. Green? Maybe.

But I'm still considering an "Ahoy" version.....
:jump: You homo.:jump: :jump: :giggling:

CO Hummer
11-14-2006, 08:34 AM
spring i will let you "sign" them :clapping:

I'll be setting up a booth in the Gonzo between 5-7pm on Weds evening. I'd like to limit all autograph requests to that one session. The licensing fee will be discounted 10%.

CslRkH2
11-14-2006, 03:13 PM
Those look awesome CO!! How did you figure out how thick/strong the 2x6 needed to be to support the truck without bending up into the body?

CO Hummer
11-14-2006, 04:17 PM
How did you figure out how thick/strong the 2x6 needed to be to support the truck without bending up into the body?

Haha. I didn't. :D We'll see. I did ask around and talked to some of the experts.

timgco
11-14-2006, 05:22 PM
Haha. I didn't. :D We'll see. I did ask around and talked to some of the experts in my sewing club.

:jump:

h2co-pilot
11-14-2006, 06:24 PM

Nice one Timmay!!!!:dancingbanana: :jump:

Cranky Steve
11-14-2006, 07:01 PM
Haha. I didn't. :D We'll see. I did ask around and talked to some of the experts.

2x3 would have been overkill, but not have looked as nice as the 2x6, so your ready to knock fillings out with these!!!!

CO Hummer
11-14-2006, 07:15 PM

Next time you need your 26" inseam on your slacks shortened.....you can pretty much avoid my place. ;) :mad:

h2co-pilot
11-14-2006, 09:45 PM
Next time you need your 26" inseam on your slacks shortened.....you can pretty much avoid my place. ;) :mad:

timgco
11-14-2006, 09:49 PM

DAMN YOU! How many times? It's a 30". Denish has the 26" inseam. :jump:

CO Hummer
11-17-2006, 10:05 PM
Getting Closer!

Sanded and wiped with sovlent:
http://www.atkinsweb.com/shared/RockRails/RR18.JPG

Freshly Painted:
http://www.atkinsweb.com/shared/RockRails/RR19.JPG

http://www.atkinsweb.com/shared/RockRails/RR20.JPG

h2co-pilot
11-17-2006, 10:09 PM
Looking good!:beerchug:

ree
11-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Nice black top.

CO Hummer
11-19-2006, 07:04 AM
It is FINISHED! :cool:

http://www.atkinsweb.com/shared/RockRails/RR22.JPG

I'll be working on some for that Jeep in the background.
http://www.atkinsweb.com/shared/RockRails/RR23.JPG

http://www.atkinsweb.com/shared/RockRails/RR24.JPG

http://www.atkinsweb.com/shared/RockRails/RR25.JPG

http://www.atkinsweb.com/shared/RockRails/RR26.JPG

dochummer
11-19-2006, 07:31 AM
Looks great! :perfect10s:

DRTYFN
11-19-2006, 07:56 AM
Nice. For a first timer those are great.:beerchug:

I would have lengthened them front & back just a bit.

h2co-pilot
11-19-2006, 02:00 PM
Looks great! :perfect10s:

:iagree: :beerchug:

timgco
11-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Great job! When will the signature series be available?

KenP
11-19-2006, 06:52 PM
They look great, but I'm concerned the stock metal will bend without any cross bracing. What do you think?

Is blacktop normal for driveways out there?

glassman66
11-20-2006, 05:54 AM
Okay man those look great, I'd like to see them in person.
I need a SET OF THESE.

I want the NERD BARS off oif mine and a set of these on.

You've got a potential product here.

CO Hummer
11-20-2006, 06:10 AM
They look great, but I'm concerned the stock metal will bend without any cross bracing. What do you think?

You think this will bend? No way.

Alan06SUT
11-20-2006, 06:52 AM
Any field testing yet? Looks great CO.

CO Hummer
11-20-2006, 07:05 AM
Any field testing yet? Looks great CO.

Yes. I took it down to C.B. Pott's parking lot this evening and a couple of the Colorado guys jumped on them. It's field tested. I'm good to go. :D

KenP
11-20-2006, 08:00 AM
You think this will bend? No way.More worried about the stock metal, not the new stuff.

BTW, what's the weather forecast for this week?

timgco
11-21-2006, 12:24 AM
More worried about the stock metal, not the new stuff.

BTW, what's the weather forecast for this week?
http://www.9news.com/weather/graphics/Planning_Forecast.jpg?16391539

glassman66
12-08-2006, 03:59 AM
I really like how these came out plus it does answer the step rail that my wife and daughter would preffer. Where in Denver did you get the meterial and what did it run you.

I'm in eastern Centennial.

OrangeCrush
12-08-2006, 04:30 AM
CO,

Those look great. Nice job.

One question though, why not have them powdercoated? Grinding on rocks will get them scratched regardless but at least they would take chipping from the tires better....

Mark

CO Hummer
12-08-2006, 09:05 AM
I really like how these came out plus it does answer the step rail that my wife and daughter would preffer. Where in Denver did you get the meterial and what did it run you.

I'm in eastern Centennial.

I buy all my metal at Den Col (www.dencol.com (http://www.dencol.com)). It near the intersection of I-70 and I-25.

Total cost of materials was about $150.

CO Hummer
12-08-2006, 09:10 AM
CO,

Those look great. Nice job.

One question though, why not have them powdercoated? Grinding on rocks will get them scratched regardless but at least they would take chipping from the tires better....

Mark

Tell me about it Mark! I used that crappy Duplicolor crap (PARAGON was right). The other night I pull my snowblower out and very light scraped against my rails. You can see what happened. I'm either going to paint them with that Rustoleum flat black industrial stuff (great paint). Or, I may have them powdercoated. I'm probably gonna see how they hold up before I invest in powder coating.

PARAGON
12-08-2006, 03:16 PM
Powdercoating is worthless for rock rails if you are going to be using the rails for what they are made for. It's way too much money to get it done for something that will get scratched through to the metal the first time you hit the trail. It would be OK if it was for something else, but I've found the Rustoleum stuff to be durable enough not to flake off and very easy to touch out without it looking like you touched it up.

It's next to impossible to touch up the powdercoating and have it look decent.

Go to Harbor Freight and buy you a couple of these little thingies.

http://shop.com.edgesuite.net/ccimg.shop.com/200000/205000/205031/products/11581493.jpg

CO Hummer
12-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Powdercoating is worthless for rock rails if you are going to be using the rails for what they are made for. It's way too much money to get it done for something that will get scratched through to the metal the first time you hit the trail. It would be OK if it was for something else, but I've found the Rustoleum stuff to be durable enough not to flake off and very easy to touch out without it looking like you touched it up.

Yah. That rustoleum industrial stuff is excellent. I use it on almost everything I make from metal. It's hard-core durable. I like how powdercoating holds up, even on the factory rails. But it will be a lot of $$, pretty much doubling the cost of the rails.

OK....I've talked myself into the Rustoleum. :D

KenP
12-08-2006, 06:22 PM
OK....I've talked myself into the Rustoleum. :DGlad I suggested it way back in the day.:giggling: Don't for get the adhesive sandpaper for the wife and chitlin's to use as steps.:dancingbanana:

glassman66
12-09-2006, 05:18 PM
I buy all my metal at Den Col (www.dencol.com (http://www.dencol.com)). It near the intersection of I-70 and I-25.

Total cost of materials was about $150.

Thanks, this is one mod I might do.

On coating meterials, hink you are pretty screwed. I had Hurculiner in one of my pickup bed and it worker great, but it ain't gonna hold up against rocks and it is way stronger than the Duplicolor crap.

I painted a dirt bike frame way back and I used epoxy paint. It holds up well and when youscratch it up you can just spray a new layer on and it blends in great.
The only area that I had scratches were ehere my boots rubbed, every so often I hit it with another caot.

You can get the epoxy paint at Home Depot.

lvmyhmr
05-12-2007, 11:52 PM
Mooncricket, 2 inches beyond the stock sliders? If you had a line from outside of both front and rear tires would that be enough extension? I am going to fab some as well with tapered ends but I do not want to entend the overall width of the truck any more than I need to.

Thanks