PDA

View Full Version : Dot 3 or DOT 5

leenigen
11-13-2006, 01:54 PM
I was going to top off my brake fluid after some repairs but ran into a little confusion. I assumed I had DOT 5 fluid (its a 94) but since DOT 5 comes in both purple and yellow, how do I know what I really have? :confused: The truck is filled with yellow fluid and my new stuff is purple. Is there a way to tell them apart?

ssgharkness020147
11-13-2006, 02:41 PM
First of all good job on selecting the correct fluid. That is an issue that lots of owners over look, and can be very dangerous. Now as to the color of the fluid. Chances are that it is contaminated. Dot 5 does fade from purple to amber over time. I would reccomend a complete flush of the system to be on the safe side.

hmcoleap
11-27-2006, 09:15 PM
As you mentioned, DOT 5 is available in both yellow and purple; only way to be sure it is all DOT 5 is to flush and refill.

I was going to top off my brake fluid after some repairs but ran into a little confusion. I assumed I had DOT 5 fluid (its a 94) but since DOT 5 comes in both purple and yellow, how do I know what I really have? :confused: The truck is filled with yellow fluid and my new stuff is purple. Is there a way to tell them apart?