PDA

View Full Version : Do it yourself bed-liner stuff??

CO Hummer
11-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Anyone know of any good do-it-yourself bed liner (non-slip) stuff to use on rock rails, racks, steps, etc? Where do ya get it?

CO Hummer
11-13-2006, 09:45 PM
How 'bout this stuff - Herculiner?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10614/s-10101/p-100000283143/mediaCode-ZX/appId-100000283143/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000283143

PARAGON
11-13-2006, 09:50 PM
Anyone know of any good do-it-yourself bed liner (non-slip) stuff to use on rock rails, racks, steps, etc? Where do ya get it?
http://www.detailandstripes.com/tatrbedco.html

made by bondo, sprayable or you don't have to add the thinner and you can roll it. has cut up tires in it.

PARAGON
11-13-2006, 09:55 PM
oops

Sorry, that's not what I meant. I don't know anything about that stuff.

This is what I meant to post. It's got the tires in it and can be sprayed if you mix thinner in it.

http://www.durabakbedliner.com/

BlueTJCO
11-13-2006, 09:55 PM
with the way that the "bedliner" applies and sets it will look good but on the trail you will NOT be happy.

It will "tear" and look like **** with just minor rock rubbing...

GLBLWARMR
11-13-2006, 09:56 PM
The Herculiner works great. I have used it a few different times for things. Very easy to use.

CO Hummer
11-13-2006, 10:26 PM
with the way that the "bedliner" applies and sets it will look good but on the trail you will NOT be happy.

It will "tear" and look like **** with just minor rock rubbing...

I know. I'm only wanting to put in on the TOP of stuff - like my rock rails. I've seen pics of how it rips off when you put it on the bottom. :giggling: Hummbebe comes to mind. :D

PARAGON
11-13-2006, 10:31 PM
I know. I'm only wanting to put in on the TOP of stuff - like my rock rails. I've seen pics of how it rips off when you put it on the bottom. :giggling: Hummbebe comes to mind. :D

Ummmmm...... same as paint. You touch it up same as paint also. The worst thing to do would be to powdercoat them, then you couldn't even paint over the scratches and match it up.

Durabak is very durable and doesn't peel but you would rattle can some rustoleum as a base anyway, I would think.

CO Hummer
11-13-2006, 10:53 PM
Ummmmm...... same as paint.

Paint just gets removed where you hit it with a rock. That line-x stuff tears in big sections.

Ummmm... Add 1 part Rubicon, 1 part Line-X. Mix, and.....

h2co-pilot
11-13-2006, 10:57 PM
We used Dupli-Color spray on the symbols and chrome over the license plate. Good texture and east but not tested for durability in those areas.

CO Hummer
11-13-2006, 11:09 PM
We used Dupli-Color spray on the symbols and chrome over the license plate. Good texture and east but not tested for durability in those areas.

I just read where it's available at Wal*Mart! Ding, Ding, Ding......I think we have a winner. Cheap!

CO Hummer
11-13-2006, 11:11 PM
I'm actually looking for a nice Pirate black. Hope it's in stock.

dochummer
11-13-2006, 11:19 PM
Yeah, walmart has it for cheap - the duplicolor spray on bedliner. You could also check the local automotive supply store - Schucks locally sells it cheaper than walmart right now. I used Rustoleum Pro Satin black to re-coat the bumpers and it looks great. The bedliner does come off in chunks...but it's not as thick as the linex, so the chunks won't be as big....

H2 Bill
11-13-2006, 11:45 PM
I have been using the Duplicolor bedliner for a couple of years on my side steps and it works great and is easy to touch up.

PARAGON
11-14-2006, 12:29 AM
Paint just gets removed where you hit it with a rock. That line-x stuff tears in big sections.

Ummmm... Add 1 part Rubicon, 1 part Line-X. Mix, and..... That's Line-X, I didn't suggest that.:twak:

CO Hummer
11-14-2006, 12:33 AM
That's Line-X, I didn't suggest that.:twak:

Ahhh, I see sensei.

While I don't use Line-X on my H2, I'm more than happy with how it's working out on my toilet seats.

PARAGON
11-14-2006, 12:37 AM
The Duplicolor stuff sux. Several of the local Jeep guys tried it in their tubs and outside on bumpers. It peels off same as Line-x and is not durable at all. Get what you pay for I guess.

For my bumpers and rails I used Rustoleum textured stuff. It's the same flat black as the regular rustoleum but has texture to it. Not the same as Durabak and other "rubberized" bedliner stuff but still good none-the-less.

I have a few gallons of Durabak that I have been meaning to spray the whole floor of my enclosed trailer. You can spray it on anything with proper prep work and it is durable. It's not thick like other bedliners but you can get it thick with several coats if you want a more rubbery feel.

CO Hummer
11-14-2006, 12:40 AM
Several of the local Jeep guys tried it in their tubs

Wow. Does it come off if you use Mr. Bubble? :D

timgco
11-14-2006, 12:51 AM
Rustoleum HAMMERCOAT works well. I use that on teh rock rails for touchup and the framework. It scrapes off just like regular rattlecan/ not peeling like Line X stuff.

that duplicolor is great for the badges and mirror caps if you prep properly and put a few coats on. Hit it with a preasure washer and it's gone though.

PARAGON
11-14-2006, 01:40 AM
Wow. Does it come off if you use Mr. Bubble? :D:jump:

do they still even make Mr. Bubble?

PARAGON
11-14-2006, 01:44 AM
Rustoleum HAMMERCOAT works well. I use that on teh rock rails for touchup and the framework. It scrapes off just like regular rattlecan/ not peeling like Line X stuff.

that duplicolor is great for the badges and mirror caps if you prep properly and put a few coats on. Hit it with a preasure washer and it's gone though.I like that Hammercoat but couldn't find a flat black so I have the rough stuff. I like it rough. It gives me texture.;)

http://www.rustoleum.com/images/product/ps_stopsrust_textured04.jpg

KenP
11-14-2006, 02:07 AM
CO, this may be the best idea yet:

Just spray paint it black and use adhesive sand paper cut to the sizes you want for traction.

HummBebe
11-14-2006, 07:46 AM
You know, this subject has been covred extensively on the H3 forum....maybe you noobs should use the search function for once.:giggling:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

P.S.
That's what linex looks like after 48 hrs on the 'Con. (Two trips) :fdance:

CO Hummer
11-14-2006, 08:32 AM
You know, this subject has been covred extensively on the H3 forum....maybe you noobs should use the search function for once.

We should take advice from noobs with rock rails that look like they need a shave? Ummmm..... pass.

H2 Bill
11-14-2006, 06:37 PM
You certainly have to prep the surface before using any of the products mentioned. The last time I used the Duplicolor was over a year ago and it still looks good and hasn't chipped...prep it first.

Alan06SUT
11-15-2006, 06:09 AM
Anything will scrape off of rock rails while in "use":D , just find the nearest store with the cheapest can of any of these and rattle spray them each time you get back from the trails.

ree
11-15-2006, 03:40 PM
CO, this may be the best idea yet:

Just spray paint it black and use adhesive sand paper cut to the sizes you want for traction. If you just want some traction areas under the doors, paint as Ken says. Then use stair-tread tape (AKA skateboard tape). I've had some on the top of my tube steps for 2 years without it peeling off. And you can get it at Walmart!