PDA

View Full Version : Another Supercharger Question

Tallowood_Air
11-14-2006, 10:21 AM
Hello All.

I purchased a 2007 H2 SUV around the first of Nov.

Right off the bat, it seems that a few of my pre-concieved notions were just not true. I was under the impression that these trucks just lumber around; thankfully that's not true, although faster is Always better...Especially off the line.

I want Acceleration, and I don't want to piddle away time and money with worthless bolt-ons.

So, after MANY hours researching, I've seen that most of you have Magnachargers, but i've heard some good things about kenne bell, too.

Now my first question is this: To you supercharged, specifically those with a magnacharger, what kinds of gains can you feel? I'm not really interested in dyno numbers, more so, how does it move from a dead stop? Will it take passengers by suprise, like it does at 35? How about quarter-mile and 0-60? Obviously it won't burn down all 4 wheels when i punch it, but i'd Love to see some marks on dry pavement(?)

and my second: Without getting all into it, what is necessary to get expected benefits of the Blower? I've read that a full exhaust and headers only gives 2-4 RWHP? (but it seems like most blown trucks have exhaust work done? why?) there are NO 4-wheel dynos anywhere near me, would I still benefit from a 'custom' mail-order tune, or be just as good with the flash from magnuson?

Pulleys: Don't I want as much boost as possible? surely someone can give me cons of running a smaller pulley? as long as the tune includes the pulley mod i would be ok, right?

sorry for all the questions,
thanks in advance - Josh

W1N
11-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Hello All.

I purchased a 2007 H2 SUV around the first of Nov.

Right off the bat, it seems that a few of my pre-concieved notions were just not true. I was under the impression that these trucks just lumber around; thankfully that's not true, although faster is Always better...Especially off the line.

I want Acceleration, and I don't want to piddle away time and money with worthless bolt-ons.

So, after MANY hours researching, I've seen that most of you have Magnachargers, but i've heard some good things about kenne bell, too.

Now my first question is this: To you supercharged, specifically those with a magnacharger, what kinds of gains can you feel? I'm not really interested in dyno numbers, more so, how does it move from a dead stop? Will it take passengers by suprise, like it does at 35? How about quarter-mile and 0-60? Obviously it won't burn down all 4 wheels when i punch it, but i'd Love to see some marks on dry pavement(?)

and my second: Without getting all into it, what is necessary to get expected benefits of the Blower? I've read that a full exhaust and headers only gives 2-4 RWHP? (but it seems like most blown trucks have exhaust work done? why?) there are NO 4-wheel dynos anywhere near me, would I still benefit from a 'custom' mail-order tune, or be just as good with the flash from magnuson?

Pulleys: Don't I want as much boost as possible? surely someone can give me cons of running a smaller pulley? as long as the tune includes the pulley mod i would be ok, right?

sorry for all the questions,
thanks in advance - Josh
Hey Josh!

Your questions seem to be like a mirror from mine about one year ago. Not easy ones to answer and everybody with an opinion will have most likely a different one. So I'll give mine from starters and I'll be happy to help you out if you need any. I did mine 6 months ago and I've helped about two other H2's since.

So, here is what I did:

* 2006 H2 SUV
* Radix SC
* 2.9" pulley (about 40% more pressure than "stock" Radix, which came with 3.2" pulley. Magnuson will put a different pulleys with the package according their tests so that the SC will get around 5-6 psi's)
* Airraid
* Dynatech headers and custom exhaust including WRC cats (this gave awesome sound and really LOTS low end toque more. The whining SC sound went away)
* Custom shift kit and servo
* Custom tune from Nelson Perfomance (due the shift kit and custom tune truck shifts in heavy acceleration really fast as stock H2 is quite slow. Although in very low acceleration shift tend to be little jerky, but you can set it as you want it with Nelson)
* Dual electric fans (GM2500 I think)
* 160 degree t-stat

Others:
* 37" BFG Mudterrains and 22" Capella wheels
* Brembo Gran Turismo's
* Eibach Anti Sway bars
* Bi-Xenons
* Kenwood DDX8027 DVD player + GPS
* Dual 10" JMlab subs (500WRMS) and 4 JMlab midranges in doors (300WRMS)

I tried to calculate mathematically the HP in wheels, and I came to about 550 horses. Although when I measured with G-tech acceleration meter, it gave me some unexpected numbers. I got 5.7s 0-62 and around 600 horses. I did only one run so, I need to re do it when the weather is dry. But generally my truck is awefully fast off the line. I does spin the wheels, but without changing the Fabtech Heavy Duty Tie Rods (which I have not done yet) I will not put all in the game. I think there is a risk of blowing my front end as the big wheels are heavier to turn than stock.

What I know, is that, you should be careful with the temperature of your engine. I don't know where you live but when going into the area of 9 psi's and higher you will run into a trouble with trying to cool you engine down. I don't have that problem as I live in the area where hell freezes over in the summer :D... So don't go to too small pulley!

All together I'm very happy. I've got like 7k miles on it, no problems with the setup and it really blows off the line some of the surprising cars. Sounds like a f*cking fighter jet when I take off :clapping:

I've try to put out some pictures of it as soon as I can.

Thanks!

MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon
11-14-2006, 04:23 PM
Excellent choices! Did Taz influence you on those? Sounds like the same setup on his H2. Electric fans are a definite plus when supercharged. The whine from the SC is incredibly loud as well as the exhaust...quite intimidating. Your passengers will be very impressed if you follow along the same setup. Especially if you have the airride suspension. The back end will sink down real nice when you punch it. Since we added the dynatech and the new exhausts at the same time, someone else on the board will have to provide their opinions with the sc alone.

Tune: Nelson performance is the way to go. They also have the 8lb pulley (Magnacharger comes with a 5lb). We put in several of his tunes and I/Our customers have been very happy with the results.

Pulleys: Smaller one won't hurt as long as you have the proper tune.

Tallowood_Air
11-14-2006, 05:18 PM
thanks for the response, W1N...

please elaborate as to what exactly a custom shift kit entails..
does that just mean an upgraded clutch-pack and a corvette servo?

also, you said custom exhaust with headers and cats. size?

the sound is going to be Very important to me. (maybe i'm too picky) I hope it's possible to not sound like an idiot in a Z-71. Plus i don't think i want to kill the whine entirely.

Evil, tech, and intimidating, without being loud.. suggestions?

thanks

W1N
11-15-2006, 07:33 AM
Excellent choices! Did Taz influence you on those? Sounds like the same setup on his H2. Electric fans are a definite plus when supercharged. The whine from the SC is incredibly loud as well as the exhaust...quite intimidating. Your passengers will be very impressed if you follow along the same setup. Especially if you have the airride suspension. The back end will sink down real nice when you punch it. Since we added the dynatech and the new exhausts at the same time, someone else on the board will have to provide their opinions with the sc alone.

Tune: Nelson performance is the way to go. They also have the 8lb pulley (Magnacharger comes with a 5lb). We put in several of his tunes and I/Our customers have been very happy with the results.

Pulleys: Smaller one won't hurt as long as you have the proper tune.

I did the whole thing with Rick. He suggested me the Dynatech and I wound not go any other way, believe me :clapping:

Also Allen was a great help. Not the fastest, but great help...

W1N
11-15-2006, 09:07 AM
thanks for the response, W1N...

please elaborate as to what exactly a custom shift kit entails..
does that just mean an upgraded clutch-pack and a corvette servo?
Well, not being the most technical person, the shift kit and the servo (Corvette was on option, but got some other that was supposed to better somehow). I don't think the shift kit means upgraded clutch pack, but enhanced parts to take added stress from SC and faster shifting. In money/added performance, I think shift kit and servo was the best. total cost of like $200, it really gave me opportunity to shift much faster=better acceleration.

also, you said custom exhaust with headers and cats. size?
I Don't really know, but the pipes are really fat, cats-back is huge. My mechanic, who is brother of the new F1 Ferrari driver :D, said these headers are really competition headers and deliver exceptionally good low and torque. So my recommendation is that if you are buying headers, take Dynatech! As I said I'll try to post a picture od them in next couple of days...

the sound is going to be Very important to me. (maybe i'm too picky) I hope it's possible to not sound like an idiot in a Z-71. Plus i don't think i want to kill the whine entirely.

Evil, tech, and intimidating, without being loud.. suggestions?

thanks
My exhaust killed the whine completely, thank god, I don't think it sounds that hollow as those Z-71 exhausts. But it is loud when you launch, but so are some others like B&B. So you might end up sounding like "an idiot" :)
In idle is sounds really like Corvette, but I've never heard the sound outside the truck, because I have been driving it, but I expect it to be quite loud, like Z-71...

To me what matters is the hp and torque, my truck is strong and fast, just the way I like it!

:perfect10s:

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
11-15-2006, 09:30 AM
Dragon is not aware of the electric fan setup my Mall Queen as I did it and forgot to tell him, sorry Buddy. My setup system is that W1N has on his setup. He asked what I did and I advised Him on all I could and told Him everything I had installed on my H2. Everything I had I wanted W1N to pick and choose what He wanted and timing that He could do it in. He went with everything and W1N did a very good job as I suggested He get tuning from Allen so He did not have to put allot of time with trial and error on tuning himself. I'm tuning my rig with HPTUNERS tuning software with laptop or I should say on board computer that runs everything including DVD, Nav, Satelite etc. when Dragon is finished with electronics upgrade. I advised W1N as much as I could with Him being so far away I wanted Him to use tried and true things that I had done.

With HPTUNERS I will get more out of same equipment but, it requires allot more time but, get allot more response. I hope to develop several tunes that I can just pass onto forum members should they follow the same equip. add ons that I do and same tuning. Yet like W1N I told Him Allen could do most of all that anyone could really want. I will not recommend the tunes for anything less than almost mimicing My setup or at least use my tune as a starting point to be adjusted up or down. But, i will have economy, race, towing, and other tunes but, from HPTUNERS perspective as I will have put alot of time with tunes. I will be able to just with on board computer just stop engine and not turn key off and pull exisiting tune and flash another tune of my choice and then turn ignition off and start up. Like a PC does. I will have many stored in tuning software to change to deal with circumstances when done tuning.

W1N did a great job and with suggestions He used that He wanted and experimented on His own some with Allen. His HP and 0to60 should be close as dyno. It is what I'm getting but, I get it with lower boost do to custom tuning all the tine. Can hardly wait till Dragon gets done with all electronics upgrades so i can do some serious tuning with water/methanol inj., C02 spray on aftercooler, ice bucket for fuel line. Then push boost on up to 15 to 20 lbs. with allot higher octane fuel etc. and feel I can reach 750HP at the wheels with no trouble and then plan to push for 1000HP for next goal. I do not feel we can get there without a head change at soime point as the only restriction we face at this time is moving all the increased air through heads as all other restrictions have been removed.
I may have to get Allen to make a smaller pulley as one thing to reach goals with chnage of heads. I run 2.7 pulley now.

Hummer said not to be afraid to do it and they are behind Us with their mouths and equipment support if needed. They on every occasion said the 6.0L bottom end is bullet proof. I need to watch temps and getting the new forced air through the heads. We have a sponored set of head that We can get whenever We want but, HUMMER asked Me to see how far I could go with stock heads. They are interested in seeing what engine can do with tuning, forced induction, and nothing but bolt on addons first. But, with electronics upgrade that Dragon is doing it will give me the ability to monitor everything in real time along with wideband sensor's along with margin to shut down if trouble or even before trouble is seen.

I recommend anyone that wants to get very good numbers on HP at the wheels and even 0 to 60 use new model GTECH Pro RR. It is what a huge majority of Nascar and other racers are moving to instead of that $10,000 equip. that GTECH Pro has gone heads up with it and is just as accurate for $295.00.

Congrats W1N even an old dog like me learn new tricks if they are willing and have been proud to pass my ideas on to You. I'm pleased You enjoyed the work that Allen did for You. He is a small shop and takes a little time but, He wants everyone to be happy and will do all He can. He is a perfectionist. He is on board for land speed runs at The Texas Mile if I can get all tuning done etc. I can when Dragon gets done. Allen plans to be there to do tweaks He sees that would increase our chances. I hope to invite as many forum Bud as possible to be in pits as real pit crew is needed to help with whatever comes up including fueling. So if anyone is interested please let me know. We may be going to North Carolina also, another affilated track that is open to top speed runs at different times than the other track. So help could be needed there as well.

W1N You need to send Me some pics of Your ride as I would like to add You to HUMMERcustoms.com pic gallery, once we get our webmaster to fix problems that Dragon said We have. Dragon has not been able to add products or anything for a while now. May be interested in finding a new web hoster for site, hint hint.

TAZ

rocketw19
11-23-2006, 10:28 PM
taz or dragon do you sell the dynatech headers? if so how much shipped to cali? thanks

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
11-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Rocket yes We are a dealer for Dynatech. Email Dragon at sales@hummercustoms.com but, have had some problems with site and webmaster is working on it some.
Use in place sales@motorsportsauthority.com or just PM Dragon and let me know if You do not get through. Just tell him I sent You and You are forum member. We will get you help one way or another.

We carry this brand because of some racers and a performance exhaust shop in our area that tunes exhaust for street 10 to 11 second cars to some real fast turbo'd rice rockets. Everyone of them loved them even dirt track guys.

When I looked at mufflers I had been a magnaflow guy and then i put flowmaster on My H2 at performance exhaust shop recommendation and I loved them, will run nothing else. They sold all brands of performance mufflers. Performance Exhaust shop kept messing with pipe size different mufflers and as We changed one week I would run G-Tech Pro to see if it helped. If not they had Me to change till He felt they had tuned the exhaust as best they could.

He told me each H2 they have done just like same model of 2 or 3 other cars would be different. He said My rig was the most agressive he had gone but, I did not have supercharger on yet but i had it programmed to max and other stuff.

Dynatech made us an official install center so if anyone is traveling on I-40 by Conway We should be able to help if your having trouble.

I recommend the long kneck headers as it helps low end extremely well compared to some others we have seen. If You go the complete header Catback system with 2 true flowmaster super 40's it is real deep and muscle car sounding and can feel it with no tuning yet especially. Regular 40's are good and if you want softer sound 50's are good but, You will get a little difference in performance out of all of them. Super 40's are less restrictive than 40's or 50's. On the super 40's or 40's do not let a performance exhaust shop talk you into turning the tailpipe down in front of rear axle, make them go over axle. Reverb will shake your guts to jelly but, just get it over the axle and it is gone. I had them stop them short of bumper and tucked up high like stock. In front of axle just let's reverb come inside to much. My performance exhaust shop charged no extra to help me and then they helped me get exhaust setup for supercharger and bungs for wideband sensors for real tight air/fuel tuning. Then We sent them out to be Jet Hot chromed look headers to tail pipe so they had to be right. I have 2 21/2" pipes over axle and they are true duels. With duel setup if You have air suspension make sure they stack tail pipe to give You a 1/2 to 1" clearance and get them to weld a thin flat metal plate on air pump tray right in middle up close behind of bumper. Just precaution to keep heat from getting to the plastic air tank resovoir in a bind. Easy for them to do and should do it for free.

Let me know if i can be more help. Plus check with Jason and see if he carries them. I would not want to sell something Jason has.

TAZ

Tallowood_Air
11-24-2006, 05:10 PM
well now all the info about flowmaster after i have the magnaflow.... ;)

still need part number for the 2500HD fans.

rocket, thanks for highjacking the thread, btw. :twak:

rocketw19
11-24-2006, 08:26 PM
well now all the info about flowmaster after i have the magnaflow.... ;)

still need part number for the 2500HD fans.

rocket, thanks for highjacking the thread, btw. :twak:
hi-jackin your thread come on it was dead i brought it back with a simple question. besides all you questions were anwsered. :dancingbanana:

Tallowood_Air
11-25-2006, 01:11 AM
hi-jackin your thread come on it was dead i brought it back with a simple question. besides all you questions were anwsered. :dancingbanana:

ok ok ok

except for my part number question. :mad:
it seems like people are really fond of their electric GM fans, but nobody seems to have anything to say other than "GM fans are better"
and "flex-a-lite sux"

it could take weeks to get the right stuff trial and error with the stoner behind the parts counter at my local dealership...

rocketw19
11-25-2006, 03:25 AM
ok ok ok

except for my part number question. :mad:
it seems like people are really fond of their electric GM fans, but nobody seems to have anything to say other than "GM fans are better"
and "flex-a-lite sux"

it could take weeks to get the right stuff trial and error with the stoner behind the parts counter at my local dealership...

im not sure of the fan part # im gonna look into a more efficient water pump and bigger better heat exchanger. i just did that to my supercharged E55 (benz) and it works great. i took 3 pulls on the dyno before the HP droped. usally it drops 20 or so HP after 1 pull. so that along with some headers should keep the beast cool.

ASTAR
11-25-2006, 09:19 AM
* Radix SC
* 2.9" pulley (about 40% more pressure than "stock" Radix, which came with 3.2" pulley. Magnuson will put a different pulleys with the package according their tests so that the SC will get around 5-6 psi's)
* Airraid
* Dynatech headers and custom exhaust including WRC cats (this gave awesome sound and really LOTS low end toque more. The whining SC sound went away)
* Custom shift kit and servo
* Custom tune from Nelson Perfomance (due the shift kit and custom tune truck shifts in heavy acceleration really fast as stock H2 is quite slow. Although in very low acceleration shift tend to be little jerky, but you can set it as you want it with Nelson)
* Dual electric fans (GM2500 I think)
* 160 degree t-stat

I've try to put out some pictures of it as soon as I can.

Thanks!

What would you estimate this all cost you and how did it effect your mileage?
Thanks!
BTW, pics would be SWEET!