PDA

View Full Version : front brakes upgrade?

lasvegash2
11-14-2006, 10:55 PM
since i am going with a tire/wheel (38's on 18" versus 35's on 17") combo that is heavier than stock, should i upgrade the pads(ebc 7000 series) and/or rotor(ebc)? i am going thru my stock pads about every 7k miles with the stock wheel and they always make the squealing sound. i checked out hawk and ebc and hawk just offers the pad and ebc offers the pad and rotor. the only thing that worries me about the rotors is dirt/sand/rocks getting into the holes of the cross drilled rotors and scoring the rotors....any suggestions for what you guys are running?

thanks

Captain of the Titanic
11-15-2006, 12:41 AM
I ran SSBC (Stainless Steel Brake Corporation) rotors and pads on my 99 Tahoe for years. When I lifted the truck and added the 35s, it was impossible to stop. Once I upgraded it was great. I got good life out of the pads and never had problems with the rotors from frequent offroading.

I looked at the website (www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com) but they didn't list Hummers. They do list GM 2500s, though, so I expect they would have parts for the H2. I plan on upgrading my brakes soon as well, and was looking at their 8 caliper setup. I haven't talked to them about Hummers yet, though.

NJ H2
11-15-2006, 05:46 PM
You are driving way too fast! I'm still on my first set and they have plenty of life left in them and I have 50k miles on the truck.

Mine don't even bite on the complete rotor and work just fine with 38's. It doesn't stop like a sports car, but it's a great big truck. I've never been convinced that a few extra lbs of centrifugal force on the wheels makes that much difference on a 8000lb truck anyway.

x2

41,000 miles with original pads and plenty more to go.

lasvegash2, I have honestly never heard of anyone replacing brakes on the H2 anywhere near every 7000 miles!
Something else must be wrong. I would talk to the Dealer about that.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
11-15-2006, 06:37 PM
Phil I agree with You on brake situation. My rig has not got allot of miles on it. But I think many of the poor stopping could be solved, not counting slowing down, is to add steel brake lines to hold down on the brake fade.

TAZ

lasvegash2
11-15-2006, 10:32 PM
my driving consist of about 100 miles a day and its all city driving...i will say i am hard on the brakes.