PDA

View Full Version : Bad news for Europe

Flubbie
11-15-2006, 01:34 PM
Hi,

I have bad news for the Hummer H1 and H2 in Europe.
There is a new law in Europe that requires that all the vehicles with a weigth (GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING,GVWR) more then 3500Kg (7700lbs) to have a

- Speed limitation of 90KM/h (55Miles/h)
- Tacho meter

I recently sold my H2 because I would not drive on that speed and would not use the tacho. And I think that I'm not going to be the only one. :crying:

I think that the sales of Hummer in Europe will go down very fast. The only once that they will sell in Europe will be the H3

So far my adventure with my beloved H2

PJ

frenzy1
11-15-2006, 01:42 PM
I heard about the speed limitation, but not about the tacho. I know I have to be limited the next time I'll go to technical inspection, but after inspection, I'll just remove the limitation again. There's no need for a tacho as far as I know.

Frenzy

Flubbie
11-15-2006, 01:49 PM
I heard about the speed limitation, but not about the tacho. I know I have to be limited the next time I'll go to technical inspection, but after inspection, I'll just remove the limitation again. There's no need for a tacho as far as I know.

Frenzy

I went yesterday with my Chevrolet and asked to the guys at the inspection. Tacho is required.

Remove the limitation is OK but if they just "speed cam" you once over 70 where you can drive 90 and over 90 were you can drive 120 then it's going to be very expensive.

Greetz PJ

Flubbie
11-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Just some links (in Dutch)
http://verkeerweb.be/r_RustT/algem_overzicht.html
http://verkeerweb.be/tcontr/art77_78.html

Enjoy

frenzy1
11-15-2006, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the link. I'll have my car mechanic check it out. But, even if I have to install a tacho, I'd never get rid of my Hummer ! Love it too much !!!

Frenzy

OldHiker
11-15-2006, 03:56 PM
Since I cannot read Dutch, wtf is a tacho?

Flubbie
11-15-2006, 04:27 PM
Since I cannot read Dutch, wtf is a tacho?

Well a Tacho is a box that is connected on the vehicle bus. The police is using this to control the driving time, rest time, speed, ...

This is mose common in trucks but since a Hummer is a truck in Europe we have to install this.

BTW Tachograph is a English word: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tachograph

PJ

Captain of the Titanic
11-15-2006, 05:01 PM
Damn...

And I thought we had problems with the left wingers...

Don't they realize that the H2 has the best pedestrial safety hood!?!?

(Especially with a nice brush guard!):D

frenzy1
11-15-2006, 05:19 PM
Left wing tree huggin' politicians are a plague here in Europe. All 4x4's, SUV, terrain vehicles are in the line of fire !!!

If you want, I'd be happy to put some of those tree huggers in a container and send 'em to the USA !!! :D

BlueHUMMERH2
11-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Left wing tree huggin' politicians are a plague here in Europe. All 4x4's, SUV, terrain vehicles are in the line of fire !!!

If you want, I'd be happy to put some of those tree huggers in a container and send 'em to the USA !!! :D
Hahaha! NO THANKS! We have more than enough. Send them to some deserted island and we'll use 'em for target practice. :jump:

emeldahay
11-15-2006, 08:49 PM
any links to this in english?

First ive heard of it.

KenP
11-15-2006, 09:04 PM
BTW Tachograph is a English word: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tachograph

PJIt's Greek:

Greek t?chos; akin to tach?s swift

Greek takhu-, from takhus, swift

Greek -graphos (something) drawn or written, one who draws or writes

Greek comb. form of graphhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/660000/i/emacracute.png

So what they want you to do is install something that tracks your speed that can be checked and you can be ticketed for the recording's findings. That sucks.

Can it be randomly checked? In other words, can an officer just stop you for no reason and se what the technogragh says?

frenzy1
11-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Yep. Cops can indeed randomly check. I don't say they'll do it for the rare hummers in Belgium, 'cause hardly any cops know a Hummer falls under that "tachograph law". But, things would be very very bad if I have and accident and after checking they notice I've been foolin' around with my tacho/speed limitation device. I'd get a HUUUUGE fine and insurance wouldn't pay for the damage to my truck and to the people I was in the accident with. So consequences are really hard if I'd remove or alter the speed limitation device.

frenzy
Belgium:twak:

Ernie Italy
11-16-2006, 06:23 PM
HU ???
Here in Italy are in Europe but this is a problem for heavy truck that transport goods or people but only for works (as bus with more than 9 people and driver)...

But the H2 is under 3500 kgs !!!

KenP
11-16-2006, 06:44 PM
The ACLU, liberals, would be going ape chit over something like that here. Holy crap!

Hell, I don't even like it!

emeldahay
11-17-2006, 01:45 AM
HU ???

But the H2 is under 3500 kgs !!!

Blacked out maybe - But my bling weighs me in higher I guess.

actually what is the weight of a stock h2?

f5fstop
11-17-2006, 02:20 AM
GVWR 8600 lbs
Curb weight 6400 lbs

BlueHUMMERH2
11-17-2006, 03:24 AM
So the solution is to buy a HMMWV, which only goes about 55MPH until things start falling off? :D

But, heck, 55MPH isn't so bad. Europe isn't all that big:

http://george.ph.utexas.edu/~meyrath/maps/texas_europe.jpg

I'd be afraid to drive my H2 around over there any faster. I only ever do about 70MPH on the interstate, and that drops on winding, hilly sections. I don't even go the speed limit out West (where it's 75MPH) because it's just too noisy, scary, and sucks the fuel.

Oh, I found this looking for a map comparison: :D

http://media3.guzer.com/pictures/europe_vs_usa.jpg

Ernie Italy
11-17-2006, 05:57 PM
little bit geo problem..
Europe include france spain greece the other parts of italy...and the other...

DR EVIL
11-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Most americans don't know much geography beyond their own backyard. He probably has never had a passport either. Although now with the Canadian and Mexican borders requiring them there will be alot of hillbillies headed to the customs office.

Rene S. Nielsen
11-18-2006, 12:11 AM
Not a really big problem.

The H2 is rufly around 4500 kg fully loaded. But due to some complicated (read stupid) laws in europe your are allowed to lower the max weight off your car.

So as long as the H2 can (in theory) be below 3500 kg you are allowed to lower the max weight to 3500 kg.

I have done this with my H2, and it's not a problem.

This way you don't have to travel at the lower speed limit and you don't need a tacho

Best regards
Rene

BlueHUMMERH2
11-18-2006, 06:13 AM
little bit geo problem..
Europe include france spain greece the other parts of italy...and the other...

I know that, but how often do you travel from Portugal to Greece? Or Norway to Rome? I don't know because I've never been over there. I imagine most travel is somewhat local (intra-country), and the land area of the biggest countries is similar to that of the bigger US states. Besides, going from Portugal to Greece is probably slow even in a roadster with the Pyrenees and Alps. I don't want to imagine something like the H2. That's like taking the Blue Ridge Parkway through the Appalachians, only with less road surface...

Darren
11-18-2006, 04:31 PM
Not a really big problem.

The H2 is rufly around 4500 kg fully loaded. But due to some complicated (read stupid) laws in europe your are allowed to lower the max weight off your car.

So as long as the H2 can (in theory) be below 3500 kg you are allowed to lower the max weight to 3500 kg.

I have done this with my H2, and it's not a problem.

This way you don't have to travel at the lower speed limit and you don't need a tacho

Best regards
Rene

Rene is correct - if you nominate to "plate" your vehicle with a maximum weight of 3500kg (7700lbs) then you are exempt from the ruling. The law should only really apply to people who are using the vehicle for commercial purposes. (Otherwise all those people pulling trailers and mobile homes with their 4x4's and Trucks would also be breaking the law!).

So it's an easy getaround - don't worry about it.

frenzy1
11-19-2006, 10:59 AM
:iagree: Good to hear this !!