PDA

View Full Version : Brake pad and rotor replacement on H1

drdonpalmer
11-15-2006, 09:02 PM
Hello, I'm a new H1 owner and new to the board.
Need to do some brake service and the dealer told me there is a special proprietary tool that I can't get that is needed to service the brakes.
The service manual indicates two tools: one is listed as a "crowfoot" used to remove caliper from adapter (this is the front brakes) and the other is part J-42553, which is used to rotate and compress the caliper simultaneously.
What is a crowfoot? Is the caliper compressing tool really necessary? Any tips or known issues when changing out these components? I've done brakes on all my other regular vehicles for years.
Thanks,
Dr. Don Palmer
PS I want to do them at least once for experience incase I have trouble in the field.

f5fstop
11-15-2006, 09:19 PM
You might want to post this on the H1 technical forum; this is the H2 forum; however, I might have an answer.
The rear tool is required due to the park brake installed in the caliper, and requires the piston to turn while being compressed.
However, those tools can be purchased by anyone; dealers will say anything to get your money, but they are expensive.
Now, I am not that familiar with H1 brakes, but here is a website, where the guy tells you how to change without the special tools.

http://www.flashoffroad.com/Maintenance/Brakes/Brakes.html