PDA

View Full Version : How to remove Rear Cargo inner panel??

JetEyeNite
11-17-2006, 03:21 PM
I need to repair my rear license plate holding assembly.
I searched and there weren't any direction on how to remove the inner panel. I know OrangeCrush have done this before.

Can someone please help????
thanks in advance..

Wilstruck
11-17-2006, 03:47 PM
I shall be attempting same repair shortly and let you know.

ree
11-17-2006, 04:05 PM
Is this what you want? Note pull strap removal procedure is trivial. And numbering got a little messed up when I pasted it in here.

Document ID# 840810
2003 HUMMER H2
Trim Panel Replacement - Liftgate

Removal Procedure
Remove the lift gate pullstrap. Refer to Pullstrap Replacement - Liftgate .
Remove the bolt that retains the cargo tie down33071
Remove the 2 push pin fasteners at the bottom edge of the liftgate trim panel
Gently pull on the lift gate trim panel to disengage the retaining clips.
Remove the lift gate trim panel from the vehicle.
Inspect for broken or missing retaining clips and replace the clips as necessary.Installation Procedure
If the vehicle is equipped with tie downs and the service replacement part does not have the down holes, drill out the etched holes on the rear of the liftgate panel.
Install the lift gate trim panel to the vehicle on the liftgate trim panel.
Align the retaining clips on the liftgate trim panel with the openings in the lift gate.
Gently press inward on the liftgate trim panel to engage the clips.Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.33073
Install the cargo tie down and secure with the tie down bolt.
Tighten
Tighten the bolt to 9 N?m (80 lb in).
Install the lift gate pullstrap. Refer to Pullstrap Replacement - Liftgate .
Install the 2 push pin fasteners at the bottom edge of the liftgate trim panel.

ree
11-17-2006, 04:07 PM
If it's just a loose plate holder, I think others have just used sheet metal screws to reattach it rather than go remove the interior trim. No guarantees on that approach though.

JetEyeNite
11-17-2006, 04:18 PM
ree,
Yes... that is exactly what I was looking for... Thank you very much.. :)

How do you go about just reattaching the rear license plate holder w/ screw? It seems there isn't much behind the black plastic assembly that is holding the license plate.

thanks again.. :)

ree
11-17-2006, 05:09 PM
ree,
How do you go about just reattaching the rear license plate holder w/ screw? It seems there isn't much behind the black plastic assembly that is holding the license plate.

I'm not sure. It's a vague recollection of something that a banned (globally ignored) individual did. So I didn't bother trying to search for it.

mdoyle
11-17-2006, 08:51 PM
I have a similar problem with the license plate holder, it's coming loose at the top and appears a mounting boss is broken inside.

The problem comes from the door supports, once it's near closure they allow it to slam shut which stresses that panel. I just haven't had the time lately to take it all apart and fix it properly.

Wilstruck
11-18-2006, 01:16 AM
Thats the same problem with mine that i must fix. Must be a defect:iagree:

H2inMD
11-18-2006, 10:27 PM
Same problem here. I was thinking of just putting some new double sided tape on the liscense plate holder, maybe it will work.

REE, do you have a diagram of the liscense plate holder assembly? thanks

ree
11-18-2006, 11:12 PM
This is all I can find.

HummBob
11-19-2006, 04:32 AM
The license holder thingy is a PIECE OF CRAP!!

I've had mine replaced TWICE under warranty so far, but I'm worried about the AFTER WARRANTY times!!

Wilstruck
11-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Im thinking of trying to line the back of the plate assembly with a thin foam or rubber to absorbe some of the shock from the gate slamming. hopefully this will keep it from braking again.

ParchedMosquito
03-14-2007, 07:30 AM
Got any pics for the passenger side panel in the cargo area?

I have a squeak due to a bad back-up camera install (previous owner) and need to get in there to see whats rubbing..

mdoyle
03-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Here's my take on whats happening to the license plate holders- when the lift gate is slammed the inner panel continues to move which stresses the plastic holder mount.

I've found some epoxy repair putty at Home Depot and its worked well on other projects, I plan to give it a try on the H2 plate holder next.

Tallowood_Air
03-14-2007, 08:10 PM
This is all I can find.

where do you get stuff like this???

ree
03-19-2007, 03:41 PM
where do you get stuff like this???
Thanks to f5fstop, I have a GM SI DVD which has a lot of exploded parts views on it.