PDA

View Full Version : How's an H2 for long distance driving?

surf twang
11-17-2006, 08:05 PM
My fiance and I drive from San Jose, CA to Albuquerque and back four or five times a year. We trade driving duties and stop only to refuel. It takes us anywhere between 16 and 18 hours. Our current vehicle, a Mercedes C240, is an excellent long-distance touring car. The seats are very comfortable and it cruises nicely. However, we've been thinking of replacing it with an H2 to better handle potential bad weather and increase our storage capacity. And the H2 is just plain cool.

If anyone has done any long-distrance driving with an H2 could you share your experiences and opinions? Thanks.

BKLYNH2
11-17-2006, 08:09 PM
NYC to Moab Utah. How's that. The ride was great and comfy. Plus feel free to go offroad at any time. :fdance:

DennisAJC
11-17-2006, 08:11 PM
B.C. to Moab Utah. How's that. The ride was great and comfy. Plus feel free to go offroad at any time. :fdance:

Dug
11-17-2006, 08:34 PM
twang- I have traveled alot with out H2 with wifey and 3 kids. Yearly from Maine to Tennessee to Florida and back 4500 miles round trip. Including other 1000 mile trips to Niagra Falls and Canada. I would honestly say it might not be as cushy or spacious as the suburbans we previously drove. Its definetly a little stiffer ride and more wind noise. But overall it works better for us than any other ride we've owned. Our climate is different than yours, but we go over or thru dirt roads, snow, woods roads etc. Overall I would give it a thumbs up for traveling. doug

wingnut2u
11-17-2006, 08:47 PM
The H2 will be more spacious and just about as comfortable as 'Cedes, the only drawbacks will be gas milage and speed. Lower mpg means more stops for gas and the lower avg mph will result in a longer trip time.

Turn up the radio and you won't even notice the road noise.

Just remember that IT'S A HUMMER not a MERCEDES :beerchug: Other than that, the H2 is a great roadtrip.

Best of all, it's a Hummer and you will look cool. :jump:

KenP
11-17-2006, 08:51 PM
VA Beach to Moab Utah. TWICE. How's that? The ride was great and comfy. Plus feel free to go offroad at any time.:fdance:

Look for responses from Oldhiker and H2Rocks. They both have crossed the country and more with their trucks.

BKLYNH2
11-17-2006, 08:54 PM
is there an echo in here?

DennisAJC
11-17-2006, 09:00 PM
is there an echo in here?

:jump:

h2co-pilot
11-17-2006, 09:01 PM
in here?

BKLYNH2
11-17-2006, 09:06 PM
Stop repeating everything i say, ok?

DennisAJC
11-17-2006, 09:06 PM
here?

surf twang
11-17-2006, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the comments so far. The ability to go off-road is also an important factor for us. We live in earthquake country and after the Big One hits many roads will be impassable to most vehicles. A Hummer may be the only way to get to a safer area if necessary. Of course I have visions of the scene in War of the Worlds where the mob attacks the car. I assume a Hummer is easier to defend.;)

Big Gay Al
11-17-2006, 09:56 PM
Tom Cruise was in that. Tom is so hot. Katie = Boner

Goalkeeper
11-18-2006, 03:29 AM
First of all, Big Gay Al is funny as hell!!!!

Secondly, EVERYONE has a pre-conceived notion about how the H2 drives/rides. Everyone who rides in mine, i mean everyone from my 10 year old nephew to my 66 yo mom, loves the ride!

I always get comments on how well it rides, comfortable seats, etc.!

I've had mine from MD to GA 4 x's, NC at least 10 X's, Charleston SC once, Rhode Island, and 3+ hours each way to the inlaws on a monthly basis.

This truck rocks!! My suggestion to you is go to your local dealer and take one on a 24 hour test drive. Although there may be a mileage limitation, you'll get an idea of how it'll feel.

Good luck...

-Matt

BlueHUMMERH2
11-18-2006, 06:02 AM
It's a great road tripper. I've done 2 trips to Colorado from Pennsylvania, and about 3 to Florida from New England, plus countless other 7-9 hours drives around New England. Always comfortable, even for 12+ hours at a time. What's always important to me is being able to move my legs freely under the steering wheel, which I think really makes for the comfort on long drives. Plus, the seats are unbelievable! Even after 65,000 miles, mine are still comfortable. Lots of towing capacity, BFG's wear at least 60,000 miles with mostly interstate travel, road noise is acceptable. Another upside is I've had very few issues with any reliability. And if they do come up, if you're in a pinch, most GM dealers are able to help out (just not under warranty).

The only draw backs are travelling fast and MPG. The faster you go, the noisier it becomes inside. And the faster you go, the more the MPG plummets. But if you're looking for something to take you there and back in comfort, utility, and safety, and MPG is not important, then it's hard to find something better.

frenzy1
11-18-2006, 08:26 AM
I love drivin' in my H2 ! We're driving to the south of France next year for vacation (I live in Belgium), and I'm already lookin' forward to this long trip in the Hummer !!

frenzy

Vettster
11-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Like I explained to somebody the other day. When you travel in the H2, it is so comfortable, you don't want the trip to end.

Tread Lightly.

mikejr
11-18-2006, 04:04 PM
Drove from pittsburgh to myrtle beach, took the scenic route down...took 15 hours...we only stopped to eat and take on fuel. I drove the whole time. Never got tired or fatigued as it is truly a joy to drive. When i used to do the same trip one of our avalanches, i would get very tired and have to switch off driving with my wife. So if you have a long trip....the H2 is the only way to fly!

OldHiker
11-18-2006, 04:25 PM
Well, this is my everyday driver by choice. And I have traveled from NY to FL twice. Once I went out to off-road in Tennessee and the other time in North Carolina. Both trips lasted 4 weeks and over 4500 miles. I did 1800 mile trip to the Hummer factory in Indiana. But the absolute best was a 8 week, 8,000+ mile cross country trip with a 10 day stop in Moab and a little 12 mile trail in California called the Rubicon.

Duplicate that in your 240!:D Or any other vehicle. All with the comfort of a/c, stereo, heated seats and all the other STANDARD goodies that come with the H2.

I am now planning my annual Florida trip and trying to decide where I will drive to this summer. Alaska? No other vehicle can do this in the style and comfort of an H2. Will draw more attention then a Ferrari, more room then any sedan or touring car and open up more driving opportunities than you could possibly imagine.

I enjoy being behind the wheel as much as possible.

GLBLWARMR
11-18-2006, 05:03 PM
After having driven from coast to coast numerous times in things like Dodge Durango, Chevy Cavelier, Dodge Ram 1500, 79 Trans Am, and a Chevy Van that the H2 was definetly the funnest. Sure some of the other vehicles got better gas mileage (didn't buy the H2 becuase it was great on gas). There is more room for stretching out while driving in the H2 than any of the other vehicles.

Arizona Hummerboy
11-18-2006, 06:59 PM
I think the H2 is great for long distance drives, I just put in the portable DVD & VCR player in the truck and everyone is happy for the long trip.

LoLo
11-21-2006, 05:39 AM
Having a Benz (CLK) and a H2... I almost always choose the H2 as my daily driver. (21k miles on '05 H2 and 5k on '01 Benz -- pretty much says it all!)

Much more comfortable on the road, and much larger seats and obviously more interior room...

I thought I traveled a lot in my truck... you guys that gave gone cross country multiple times put me to shame! :o

ROX
11-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Let's see. 7000 miles in 5 weeks last summer. Commute between Western Oregon and Easter Idaho 5 or 6 times a year (1500 miles round trip). I travel from Oregon to Arizona every spring too. (long wayz) I picked the H2 because the H1 isn't as friendly for long distances. I've never had more fun, or a smoother riding truck. If I had a benz, I'd still drive the H2 because I can offroad at a moments notice. "Where does that road go Mom?" Here, lets find out!:D

tazhog54
11-22-2006, 06:45 AM
The H2 in aug did over 6,500 miles from florida to wisconsin to california gone for over 3 weeks What can I say but : Gota love my Hummy :iagree: Alittle zztop and set the cruise:dancingbanana:

Boar-Ral
11-22-2006, 05:13 PM
I've driven across Canada once and across the U.S. twice, and down along the west coast once. No complaints, unless you toss someone in the third row seat, but one of the cross-country trips had someone there, and it wasn't horrible. Their back is almost back into alignment after a year.