PDA

View Full Version : Streaking...

ree
11-18-2006, 09:11 PM
...windows. In the past couple months, after it rains or after some yahoo washes my truck, a lot of moisture has been getting retained within the doors As long as a couple weeks after getting wet, if I lower then raise any of the windows, they come up streaking wet, and then dry dirty, messing with nighttime visibility.

Is there some way to fix this?

Arizona Hummerboy
11-18-2006, 10:24 PM
YES, Move to Arizona!!! They dry fast here.:jump:

I have the same problem, with my windows. I have try to use Vinegar to wash and cut some of the grime that gets on the windows.

A lot of moisture has been getting retained within the doors right after I was it. But it drys fast in Arizona" Phoenix" . My problem is the windows just like to streak, with no matter what you use to clean them with.

And I hate streaking windows and not being able to see well.

GLBLWARMR
11-18-2006, 11:42 PM
I dry in the inside and outside of my windows with a chamois. This seems to clear up the streaks. Even when the get wet later after washing they do not seem to streak as bad.

ree
11-18-2006, 11:56 PM
Do you dry it after everytime it rains? ;)

Anyhow, even if the entire exterior is dried after a wash a bunch of moisture hangs out inside the door under the lip the "seals" against the outside and every subsequent raising of the window brings more of it up.

I'm hoping someone who has disassembled their doors knows the magic of that seal and can give me an idea if something inside needs cleaning or replacement.

geeroy10
11-19-2006, 06:15 AM
Sounds to me like you may need to replace your window seals. Mine dont do that ever

BlueHUMMERH2
11-19-2006, 07:06 AM
I have had instances where if it's very humid, I might go a few days and still bring streaks up, but that is extremely rare.

When the windows are down, take a look at the seals, maybe post some pictures. I imagine they might be wearing out as geeroy suggested. Maybe you just have dirt caked in there that's not coming out with regular washing. Some of the mud/crap sticks like glue!

KenP
11-19-2006, 06:58 PM
Never had that problem as far as I can recall.

Drill a few holes in the bottom of the door, seal the rough edges with RTV and be done with it.

Just an idea.

Gunzz
11-19-2006, 11:21 PM
Sounds like your doors are retaining the moisture because they are not draining. All doors have small drain holes to let the water out. Although the seals should keep them fairly dry inside, they do not keep all the water out. Maybe because of wheelin or just dirty/dusty areas the drains got clogged. These drains are located on the bottom of the door. Take a small object and probe around the drain openings. You may find dirt coming out. If so open them up the best you can then try to use a hose at LOW pressure to try and rinse the rest out.

Happened to me on an old Blazer and they were loaded with crud.

h2co-pilot
11-20-2006, 01:11 AM
Only once at a Phish concert...well maybe twice, but I was under influences.......

Oh.:o Nevermind....:D

ree
11-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Drain holes are not plugged. I guess I'll look into getting the sealing strips replaced.

DRTYFN
11-20-2006, 07:41 PM
:OWNED:

h2co-pilot
11-21-2006, 05:20 AM
:jump:

ipeefreely
11-21-2006, 05:33 AM
:OWNED:

:jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

Linus Gump
11-22-2006, 01:36 AM
Every time you roll the window down when it is dirty you cram crud into the seal. You could try cleaning th seals when the window is down. Soapy water and a rag will do. Clean until the rag is no longer black, or until the seal shows signs of wear, whichever occurs first. If you see wear, they need to be replaced.

ree
11-22-2006, 04:49 AM
They're clean. I think they're just all worn out. I gonna order some new ones (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22408&highlight=sealing) and see if that helps.