PDA

View Full Version : 05 Touch Screen NAV about to begin install

89vette
01-12-2005, 05:07 PM
I have purchased an 05 touch screen NAV non-lux and am about to install in my 05 H2. I found Klaus's install guide and it is great. There are one issue that I cannot verify and I am hoping someone out there has the answer.

It seems I may have to connect a VSS signal to the wire harness in order for the head unit to work properly. I need to know what wire in the harness is the VSS wire because I already might have it. If I have to add it, I need to know what wire on the cluster is the VSS signal.

Thanks and HELP!

89vette
I have purchased an 05 touch screen NAV non-lux and am about to install in my 05 H2. I found Klaus's install guide and it is great. There are one issue that I cannot verify and I am hoping someone out there has the answer.

It seems I may have to connect a VSS signal to the wire harness in order for the head unit to work properly. I need to know what wire in the harness is the VSS wire because I already might have it. If I have to add it, I need to know what wire on the cluster is the VSS signal.

Thanks and HELP!

89vette

Thanks and HELP!

LasVegas
01-12-2005, 05:12 PM
I think I have that info at home. If not answered today I'll post it for you tonight.

Patrick
01-12-2005, 06:27 PM
I have an 03 h2 and found the vss for my kenwood touchscreen nav unit here. I had to research it pretty well and finally the pros at ABT electronics in chicago told where to find it. The speed sense wire can be found on the powertrain control module, located between the battery and the engine block. It has a black plastic cover that is snapped off. Under the cover is the silver PCM that has about 100 wires going to it. It is held in place by a spring clip at the top. Once removed the whole unit can be moved to the top of the truck for better access. One side is marked the "blue" side. The other side is the "green" side but it is not green and it is not labeled that. If you go to pin 50 you will find a green wire with a white stripe. That is the wire. The labeling really doesn't matter because only one side has a green/white wire at pin location 50. The other wires are straightforward, except I had to go to the tail lights to find the reverse wire (located in a harness near the hitch mount under the truck). I was nervous pulling out the PCM at first but it is easy once you see how it is connected. The nav unit works great.

LasVegas
01-12-2005, 06:41 PM
Patrick may be correct but there's a lot easier way. Just a jumper from the 24 pin cluster connector to the 12 pin radio connector. I just don't have the pin numbers here. I'll post tonight.

89vette
01-12-2005, 06:52 PM
Thanks guys. I would assume that it is just a jumper from the IP cluster connector to the head unit connector. Las Vegas, I would certainly appreciate those pin numbers.

Thank you

Mr. I - Man
01-12-2005, 06:54 PM
what is the p/n for the nav unit for the 05 and where can you get it?

LasVegas
01-12-2005, 07:03 PM
89vette/Mr. I-Man. Yes, it's just a jumper from the 24 pin cluster connector at the back of the radio to the 12 pin connector to the radio. I should be able to post around 4:00 pm PST, maybe sooner. This jumper is consistant for H2 - 2003 and up according to what I'm told by supplier. It's the way mine is wired.

Mr. I - Man
01-12-2005, 07:34 PM
P/N is part number not the pin out.

89vette
01-12-2005, 07:50 PM
The part number for the H2's with the "premium" (read junk)is 10377287. The 03's had the LUX amp as well as some 2004's from what I have read. If you press your equalizer button and see CUSTOM or TALK you have the premium amp. If you see DRIVER, FRONT, NORMAL, SPACIOUS, etc you have a LUX amp and that is a different part number. If you do a search of NAV you will find the other part number.

LasVegas
01-12-2005, 07:50 PM
Sorry bout that. Klaus has p/n's posted numerous times in this forum. Just do a find.

LasVegas
01-12-2005, 09:15 PM
89vette. Here's the pin-out for the VSS. I called my supplier for you and they said this was the VSS pin-out and is consistant for H2 2003 & up. This is the way mine is wired but mine is a 03. An 05 might be prewired but this would only be a duplication. DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT WARRANT THIS INFORMATION AND ANY ALTERATIONS TO YOUR WIRING IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. opps...guess I should attach file.

H2ummer
01-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Hmm, pretty sure I did not do this when I put mine in. I do not remember seeing this. What is the effect of not doing it I wonder? Exactly what is connecting this wire up supposed to do?

Thanks,

89vette
01-12-2005, 10:01 PM
Great information! Hopefully I have the wire already in becasue I do not have the proper terminal end that plugs into the radio connector. Again, thank you for the information.

LasVegas
01-12-2005, 10:32 PM
H2ummer... the VSS is vehicle speed sensor. It feeds the speed of the vehicle to the NAV. If you lose the signal for a period of time your Nav will sort of "dead reckon" based on the speed sensor. Also makes your map progression smoother. I think this is the primary purpose. 05 probably come prewired this way but as you know 03 aren't suppose to even have the factory NAV (disproved by Klaus!) so you have to do this jumper.

89Vette ... Since you have an '05 and Nav is a factory option and your connectors are different you are probably prewired. That would be my guess anyway but that is a guess.

H2ummer
01-13-2005, 12:50 AM
Yeah probably would help for me to hook it up. Since one end requires a terminal end to plug into the Radio connector, where did you get one?

LasVegas
01-13-2005, 12:58 AM
Mine came with the kit. Just get a splice connector and clamp on to the wire at the 24 pin connector and a pin for the other connector plus 6" of wire. Should be able to buy them at any auto parts store or Radio shack. To bad you gotta get back into it but at least all you got to do is move the console back and pull the center panel.

Johnny T
01-13-2005, 08:37 PM
I believed these are the correct part numbers to do a '05 NAV into '03 Nav with Lux. Amp. that I have found thru reading thru the posts. Mainly from Klaus.

10377531 TNR
12498768 XM Radio Kit
10390370 Nav DVD Disk
1513178 Nav GPS Antenna
15312903 CD Changer Cable

Please correct me if I am wrong. I am planning to also buy the above to do the change over and also add the CD Changer.