PDA

View Full Version : Potential Buyer Concerned about Reliability

OffRoad4Me
11-21-2006, 08:17 PM
I'm considering purchasing a 2006/2007 H2 (SUT) and am concerned about reliability. Consumer Reports recently put the H2 fourth from the bottom on reliability and JD Power doesn't look much better. I'm aware of the new 100k warranty, but the best warranty is one you never have to use!

I'm mainly looking for problems that would leave you on the roadside in the first 100,000 miles. I'm not concerned about minor issues that can be corrected whenever you get a chance to visit the dealer.

So who has broken down in the first 100k, and what happened?

mowdoc
11-21-2006, 08:40 PM
That seems to be a very loaded question.
100k over the road would be very little problem.
100k doing intercity deliveries would mean many repairs.
100k off-road - forget that one, there is not enough gas.

The 6 liter drivetrain has proven out very well in other GM vehicles. We tend to "modify" our Hummers and when that occurs you may expect to lose life expectancy.

The H2 is heavily loaded with electronics, anything is possible here. But I will say that any "bugs" one has should be worked out while still way under warranty.

A 7000 lb. machine does wear parts faster than - Oh say - a Toyota. Tires brakes and such work much harder.

When it comes to Hummers two things stand out: you love em or you don't and you can afford one or you can't. If you can, then a good warranty should do the job.

just my $.02
mowdoc

Alan06SUT
11-21-2006, 08:58 PM
I have an early 06 SUT with about 30K on it. Its my daily driver. I offroad often and use it like a work truck. The only things I have worn out are the pitman and idler arms (steering components). But, this is common for these vehicles when offroaded heavily, especially on rocks. And, they replaced a transmission sensor at one of my dealer oil changes, but nothing major or inconvienient has happened with mine.

Other than that, its like any other GM truck or Tahoe. Keep the oil changed, tires rotated, fluids clean, and it will last forever.

You'll love it.:beerchug:

geeroy10
11-21-2006, 09:14 PM
I have an 03 with 28K miles. The only problem I have had was one of the antennas was leaking water on my dash. Only happend during very bad rain storms. Im still on my original brake pads. Truck has been perfect.:perfect10s:

ree
11-21-2006, 09:15 PM
:iagree: I'm almost at 50k miles (3 years) and haven't had any significant problems. Defintely nothing that disabled the vehicle. I've had some minor issues that have all been taken care of under warranty, electively. So basically as reliable or more so than the other vehicles have owned.

surf twang
11-21-2006, 09:31 PM
The online version of JD Power rates the H2 as "among the best" in initial quality.

OffRoad4Me
11-21-2006, 10:40 PM
The online version of JD Power rates the H2 as "among the best" in initial quality.

Unfortunately thats initial at 90 days. Heres the rest of the story.
http://www.jdpower.com/autos/brand-ratings/

Trust me, I can afford and want to purchase one, even can afford repairs. Its the hassle of the problems I don't want. I've been on the roadside before (in rural areas without cell service) and it ain't any fun.

OldHiker
11-21-2006, 11:13 PM
If you look at my posts you will see that I travel the country off-roading my '04. I have had some issues but they all relate to off-roading. I curreently have almost 50k and have no reason to stop doing what I really enjoy. It is also my daily driver by choice.

Cannot beat comfort and off-road capabilities.

"Like Nothing Else" really says it all!

H2 BULLY
11-21-2006, 11:27 PM
You can always push the little blue onstar button.:giggling:
I love my 06 sut

OffRoad4Me
11-21-2006, 11:32 PM
You can always push the little blue onstar button.:giggling:
I love my 06 sut

But what if your in a rural area with no cell service? This is often the case for me, and thats highway use!

Tex_h2
11-21-2006, 11:34 PM
I've got a 04, haven't had one problem(knock on wood) I love my hummer...and would recommend one in a second. Worth ever last penny!!!

BlueHUMMERH2
11-21-2006, 11:58 PM
I've covered 65,000 miles from Maine to Florida, Pennsylvania to Colorado. I have a 2005, and there have been no major issues that would have left me stranded. Hardly any issues at all really... So reliability would not be one of my concerns.

Also, I've seen the H2 being built, and AM General goes to GREAT lengths to make sure the vehicles are constructed to a very high quality standard.

LoLo
11-22-2006, 12:58 AM
But what if your in a rural area with no cell service? This is often the case for me, and thats highway use!

...it runs through satellite, so shouldn't leave you stranded (unless you situated in the exact wrong spot in the grand canyon).

f5fstop
11-22-2006, 02:09 AM

Could happen, but I believe the H2, until next model year, will have the Onstar Version 6.1 box which is digital with an analog backup, which means if Onstar cannot connect via digital service, it will jump to analog. For 2006 and earlier, it is definately a 6.1 version.

...it runs through satellite, so shouldn't leave you stranded (unless you situated in the exact wrong spot in the grand canyon).

The phone system runs through Verizon, or one of their contractual partners; it is not a satellite phone. The satellite part of Onstar is the GPS system that is used for position location only.

LoLo
11-22-2006, 05:24 AM
The phone system runs through Verizon, or one of their contractual partners; it is not a satellite phone. The satellite part of Onstar is the GPS system that is used for position location only.

Well, damn... guess I have been feeling overly "safe" for no reason! Thanks for the info... news to me! (Maybe that was in one of those little booklets or manuals that I have YET to read???)

CO Hummer
11-22-2006, 05:56 AM

Are you kidding me? The "reliablity" rating isn't geared toward the percentage of "break downs" in strange places where there is no cell service. I think every vehicle has similar odds that a breakdown will occur in an unhappy place. Sure, you can extrapolate the fact that if a vehicle breaks down more, it also has a greater probability of doing so everywhere, including a place w/o cell service. But The idea of buying/not buying based on your criteria is ridiculous. If you were deciding between a 1979 Pinto and a 2006 vette, then your criteria would come into play. :rolleyes:

Vettster
11-22-2006, 06:08 AM

Onstar?
We don't need no frik'in Onstar!
I bought my H2 in Houston last July and went straight to Mexico with it.
Other than oil changes, no dealer service has been needed.

tazhog54
11-22-2006, 06:17 AM
:OWNED: Bottom line I love my HUMMY:clapping: This Aug from florida to wisconsin to california over 6500 miles ,not one problem!! This H2 is the best ride smooth as can be,had a ball on vacation with it for 3 weeks . H2 never let me down. Even loved driving at 90 miles a hour drafting behind the nascar semi boys gas mileage at 16.5 behind the rigs!! Love my H2 Best truck ever pulls my tow trailer like it's not even behind me!!What more can you ask for???:beerchug:

f5fstop
11-22-2006, 11:49 AM
Onstar?
We don't need no frik'in Onstar!
I bought my H2 in Houston last July and went straight to Mexico with it.
Other than oil changes, no dealer service has been needed.

I agree, I don't have Onstar turned On. I cancelled last month. With the current Verizon cell service (or their partners), it might be hard to find a location, on any of the highways in the USA, where the system does not work.

OrangeCrush
11-22-2006, 01:10 PM
I have to agree with the rest of the guys. I've got over 70K miles on my '03 and the only problems I've had have been self induced. Incorrect settings when installing gears resulting in new diff unit, balance problem on drive shaft...blah, blah, blah.... all because of difficulties because of the lift kit (which was a freak and should have never happened)

Nonetheless, the only other issue is the sunroof, it still works, it's quirky and though I have an extended warranty, I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.

Mechanically it's on the same level of any Yukon, Escalade, etc, etc. I sold my 1999 Yukon with 155K miles and other than the normal alternator, waterpump and suspension parts (also had a lift on it) it never left me stranded. I drove that thing everywhere.

Today I leave to Florida to visit family, this will be the 6th trip in the last year and a half and I've never had any issues.

I'm honestly not sure why the JD powers survey comes back so low because many of my friends drive H2's and they also are incident free.

I'm sure you'll have to get things fixed "while at the dealer" but my H2 has never left me on the side of the road to the point when I replace this vehicle, it will probably be with another H2.

I commend you for doing your homework but I honestly think you'll be terrificly pleased with your purchase.

Good luck with whatever vehicle you choose.

Mark

89vette
11-25-2006, 02:57 PM
My 05 SUV left me stranded in the parking lot at Lowes when my wife was running the heater blower, both DVD's and the headlights for about 30 minutes while I was inside. When I came back out, the battery was dead. I'm pretty sure a Toyota would not have done that.

All kidding aside, my wife drives a Lexus GX470 and other than a better interior, I don't see much of a quality difference. Her car has 20K and mine 30k. She needs new tires and brake rotors and I don't. Hers has been in the shop for twice and so has mine. Minor items for me and a TSB and broken NAV on hers.

f5fstop
11-25-2006, 03:31 PM
My 05 SUV left me stranded in the parking lot at Lowes when my wife was running the heater blower, both DVD's and the headlights for about 30 minutes while I was inside. When I came back out, the battery was dead. I'm pretty sure a Toyota would not have done that.

If the engine was not running, I would not bet the Toyota would not have a dead battery too; especially if the blower was on high.
Number one or two (depending on month) assistance call on the Lexus Cust. Assist. help line is no start due to dead battery!

devilsfan
11-25-2006, 09:27 PM
I would get the truck.

I know where you're coming from - my H2 is my daily driver. I can't afford the hassle of trying to get it to the dealer, wait for a loaner, go back to the dealer, etc, etc. I have had to do that on RARE occassion with my truck - and all for problems that were known with the 2003 model year (which I have) and have since been corrected.

From what I've seen on this board, which is a VERY representative sampling of H2 owners (and these guys abuse the trucks more than any soccer mom will), there isn't a reoccuring H2 issue that will leave you stranded. It's all minor issues that are easy to live with, and just have the dealer fix them when you take it in for an oil change.

The ones I've encountered - and keep in mind this is for the FIRST model year of the truck, and tech bulletins were issued and the problems corrected in later years:

Windshield moulding coming loose (no leaks - just wind noise)
AC blowing hot air (not a big deal, it was spring)
Pinging in the muffler (spot weld, no exhaust issues, just noise)
Onstar module replacement (still can't figure this out, won't work in my driveway next to another Onstar that works, but will work everywhere else!)

Like I said, no big deal.

I have always purchased vehicles based on CR and their reliability reports. The H2 was the first time I broke the mold on that one, and I have not regretted it. I LOVE this truck.

Stacy

H2Blondie
11-26-2006, 01:03 AM
Every truck is different, and yes, there is the slight possibility you will end up a lemon.:crying: If that's what you want to hear, there you go! You are going to be hard pressed on this website to find anyone who is not completely satisfied with their truck.

I have had mine since June 05 and LOVE it! It has been on numerous trips between TX and CO as well as daily driving around town and around TX. When it comes to reliability, I have no problem chosing the H2 over either Mercedes for road trips!

Motohead
11-26-2006, 06:32 AM
Its also hard to compare reliability between a Toyota Camry and an H2, considering what a lot of H2 are used for, like off roading, etc. That is going to put much more wear on a vehicle than just regular driving. It's the same with a camaro, etc, a car that the snot is beat out of by every 18 year old kid.