PDA

View Full Version : Drove 10 hours straight and got 10.7 mpg...

OrangeCrush
11-24-2006, 02:01 AM
Usually running 75-80 mph with 38's and 4.56's nets me about 8.8-9 mpg on the highway.

On the way down from NC to Florida, I purposely kept the instantaneous mileage showing so I was constantly aware of how hard I was pushing the pedal.

Even while running almost 80 for 90% of the trip, I averaged almost 11 mpg.

I was thrilled to death. I was driving 68-72 for the first tankful and averaged almost 12 mpg. WOW.

I can't wait to put the supercharger on. I won't have to have the truck go into overdrive on the hills... should use even less gas.

:dancingbanana:

Mark

K9sH3
11-24-2006, 02:11 AM
Welcome to FL.

timgco
11-24-2006, 02:37 AM
456's?

KenP
11-24-2006, 03:40 AM
456's?Gears.

ROX
11-24-2006, 05:23 AM
I call B.S.! nu uh, no way...

timgco
11-24-2006, 06:15 AM
Gears.

I know there gears. :fdance:

I was just wondering why the swap?

you have 38's? and stock gearing?

So I was just curious.

OrangeCrush
11-24-2006, 11:03 PM
I know there gears. :fdance:

I was just wondering why the swap?

you have 38's? and stock gearing?

So I was just curious.

Tim,

I installed the 4.56's to make up for the 38's. It helped but the truck still needs the supercharger.

Mark

MSeeb
11-24-2006, 11:53 PM
Mark:

Don't plan on getting much better mileage with a supercharger. My 06 with the Magna Charger is running around 9.9 around town & 10.1 on hwy. It's real close to what my 03 & 05 were running (both had SC's). The power is great though!!

OrangeCrush
11-25-2006, 12:35 AM
Mark:

Don't plan on getting much better mileage with a supercharger. My 06 with the Magna Charger is running around 9.9 around town & 10.1 on hwy. It's real close to what my 03 & 05 were running (both had SC's). The power is great though!!

Well actually, more than gas mileage, I was hoping that I could put the damn cruise control and leave it at 70-75mph without the trans keep dropping into overdrive.... thus increasing gas mileage.

On a level road, it's fine but when the truck starts going up a minor incline, the trans drops into overdrive and there goes my gas mileage.

I'm hoping that the sc keeps enough HP that it won't drop into passing gear or overdrive.

Obviously if this is your 3rd supercharged H2, it must be worth it. Hopefully it'll pay off.

Thanks,

Mark

MSeeb
11-25-2006, 03:47 AM
It will definitly help with the downshifting on grade issues. In my opinion, well worth the cost. If nothing else, its worth it just to see the looks on peoples faces when you smoke em off the line.

Screeper
11-27-2006, 02:36 AM
Hey, I just made the same drive from Murphy NC to home yesterday. Average 10.1 which I was generally pleased with. Lifted Hummer was a big hit up there. Only saw a few hummers up there but the Range Rovers were everywhere.

OrangeCrush
11-27-2006, 12:12 PM
Hey, I just made the same drive from Murphy NC to home yesterday. Average 10.1 which I was generally pleased with. Lifted Hummer was a big hit up there. Only saw a few hummers up there but the Range Rovers were everywhere.

That's what I ended up with exactly. 10.1 mpg. On the way down I was trying to be concious of my driving methods, on the way back, I was running mostly 80-85... guess it is what it is. Still can't wait for the supercharger, I could have blown around a few idiots.

Hope traffic wasn't as bad as it was on Saturday coming back, it was THICK. Came up 3 seperate accidents were the vehicles rolled end over end just minutes before we arrived.

Perhaps next time, we can switch families and save ourselves the trip.

Nahhhh, I wouldn't wish my family on anyone. :D

Mark

Huck BB62
12-01-2006, 08:22 AM
Well actually, more than gas mileage, I was hoping that I could put the damn cruise control and leave it at 70-75mph without the trans keep dropping into overdrive.... thus increasing gas mileage.

On a level road, it's fine but when the truck starts going up a minor incline, the trans drops into overdrive and there goes my gas mileage.

I'm hoping that the sc keeps enough HP that it won't drop into passing gear or overdrive.

Obviously if this is your 3rd supercharged H2, it must be worth it. Hopefully it'll pay off.

Thanks,

Mark

Out, you're dropping out of overdrive, not into it. When it's cruising in top gear, it's in overdrive. When it's in 3rd, it's 1:1.

I still have a friend that calls a tranny a trammy. Everybody looks at him funny when he says that he's going to change his "trammy" fluid.

Big Z
12-01-2006, 03:56 PM
No doubt!...Milage is better when that Vacuum Pump is hot and the Stop and go driving is left behind!....Central Or, to Salt Lake, to Moad, to Flagstaff, and into Palm Springs averaging 65-75... the 2 put New numbers in the window!....From 10.5/11mpg, to 13.5!!.....Drive er Hard, Fast, And Long Time!! :D ;) :popcorn:

OrangeCrush
12-02-2006, 03:20 AM
Out, you're dropping out of overdrive, not into it. When it's cruising in top gear, it's in overdrive. When it's in 3rd, it's 1:1.

I still have a friend that calls a tranny a trammy. Everybody looks at him funny when he says that he's going to change his "trammy" fluid.

I say potatoe, you say poetatoe..lol, yeah, I know, I was actually referring to going into passing gear.

I realized what I wrote but to be honest, I was too lazy to change it and I figured no one would bitch... ha, guess I was wrong. :twak:

:beerchug:

Mark

Huck BB62
12-02-2006, 07:18 AM
The sensitive sort eh? Sorry 'bout that. Didn't mean to knock you out of overdrive.:D

OrangeCrush
12-02-2006, 01:20 PM
The sensitive sort eh? Sorry 'bout that. Didn't mean to knock you out of overdrive.:D

Only on those special days... :D

Mark

OrangeCrush
12-02-2006, 01:24 PM
It's most probably not dropping out of overdrive anyway, more often than not the TC just comes out of lock up, about a 300 rpm difference, and starts warming that tranny fluid up.

Phil,

Oh, I assure you it's dropping out of overdrive... damn thing drops 2 gears and the tach jumps to 3100 and stays there.

Normally as soon as I start an incline and it drops into passing gear, I'll turn the cruise control off and drive it myself.

On a minor incline, I purposely left the cruise control on and that stupid sob dropped into second, went up the entire hill, came over the top and stayed there for about another 1/4 mile.

It's simple, these trucks are not meant to have the cruise control on at 80-90 mph... or 70 :rant:

Supercharger will take care of that.

Mark

tonybud
12-06-2006, 12:28 AM
If anyone is worrying about gas mileage buy a vw. Obviously an H2 is not for you if youre a gas miser.

Just a thought!

05 H2 Lux/w 24in lexanis and 24in Toyo grapplers(just came out)
05 Bentley Continental Coupe
04 BMW 645ci (wifes hoopty)

OrangeCrush
12-06-2006, 03:15 AM
If anyone is worrying about gas mileage buy a vw. Obviously an H2 is not for you if youre a gas miser.

Just a thought!

05 H2 Lux/w 24in lexanis and 24in Toyo grapplers(just came out)
05 Bentley Continental Coupe
04 BMW 645ci (wifes hoopty)

The post wasn't really about gas mileage. I was trying to reflect changes in gas mileage when not kicking down out of overdrive.

I didn't buy my H2 for gas mileage but I absolutely hate the underpowered, gutless engine in the damn thing.

Mark

ttkresurfacing
12-06-2006, 03:23 AM
I HAVE the solution to your woes my friend..... :) . I'll try to bring it by tomorrow.

Tim

Klaus
12-06-2006, 03:23 AM
The post wasn't really about gas mileage. I was trying to reflect changes in gas mileage when not kicking down out of overdrive.

I didn't buy my H2 for gas mileage but I absolutely hate the underpowered, gutless engine in the damn thing.

Mark

The supercharger takes care of the downshifting problem nicely. BTW, I got 11.5 MPG average on a 1200 mile trip with the cruise set at 77 MPH.

If only we could get the Duramax engine...

OrangeCrush
12-06-2006, 03:44 AM
I HAVE the solution to your woes my friend..... :) . I'll try to bring it by tomorrow.

Tim

WOOHOOOOO..... :perfect10s: You're too good to me buddy.... too good.

The supercharger takes care of the downshifting problem nicely. BTW, I got 11.5 MPG average on a 1200 mile trip with the cruise set at 77 MPH.

If only we could get the Duramax engine...

Klaus,

The thought of being able to set the cruise control without the truck downshifting into second going up the smallest incline thrills me to death. I can't wait to get the supercharger on the truck.

Mark

ttkresurfacing
12-06-2006, 03:53 AM
I am sending mine into maggie to get reman. just in case. Only cost like 700 -800 i think and believe it comes with warranty.