PDA

View Full Version : More Rear Air Problems! Advice Needed!

TantricH2
11-26-2006, 02:09 AM
Ok, so some of you may have read my first thread about finding the leak in my right air bag assembly. Ref: Rear Air Suspension Problems (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22268)

Since then I have been getting by until I can get a new air bag assembly installed. Normally, the compressor will air the truck up to normal (6" above stock because of superlift) after about 5 minutes of running.

Today was no different until I was on my way home. The ride became EXTREMELY rough so I pulled over and saw this. (excuse the poor camera phone quality) It should be noted that this is how the truck sits when the engine is turned off (and compressor is not running).

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b155/TantricLT4/11-25-06_1720.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b155/TantricLT4/11-25-06_1721.jpg

I had left the truck running and noticed my compressor had turned off. This concerns me because in the past it has ran constantly to compensate for the leak. I turned the truck off, then back on and the compressor began working again. After 5 minutes the rear end had come almost to normal ride height, then the compressor turned off. Within 30 seconds the back end had dropped back down to the height shown above in the pics.

My question is: Is my compressor going bad now? It seems noisier than usual. Also, can anyone find this part for me: 15190519? Partsguy on this forum gave me that part number, and I relayed that to the guy that is supposed to do the repairs. I was told this part is backordered.

Any help and/or advice is much much appreciated!!!

timgco
11-26-2006, 02:49 AM
Do you tow anything heavy that requires the bags?

If not, you may even consider putting the coil springs in.

A couple of members here have done this swap.

As for your backorder, the 03 I had, was in the shop quite a bit due to the airbags/ compressor/ and sensors. It could have been the dealer, but it seems the parts were always backordered.

I stay clear from the air susp because of the past issues... esp after loosing both airbags on a trail.

Partsguy has a backorder? That's a first. Come on Partsguy! Get it together. :twak: :fdance: :jump:

NewHummerGuy
11-26-2006, 03:41 AM
Tantrich

Just to jump in here I a month ago had "service air suspension" come up on display. I went in and they told me they saw the code and would replace compressor. I have an 03 as well.

The part was also on backorder and took about 5 days to come in. They replaced under warranty (I bought certified 2003 H2).:)

TantricH2
11-26-2006, 03:42 AM
Do you tow anything heavy that requires the bags?

If not, you may even consider putting the coil springs in.

A couple of members here have done this swap.

As for your backorder, the 03 I had, was in the shop quite a bit due to the airbags/ compressor/ and sensors. It could have been the dealer, but it seems the parts were always backordered.

I stay clear from the air susp because of the past issues... esp after loosing both airbags on a trail.

Partsguy has a backorder? That's a first. Come on Partsguy! Get it together. :twak: :fdance: :jump:

I have seriously contemplated going with the coil springs. The thing is, the dealer I bought the truck from is willing to pay for repairs to the air bags - but doubt he'd "spring" for the coils. If I have issues in the future I will do the conversion.

Partsguy doesn't have a back order - he simply gave me the part number. A stipulation of the dealer paying for my repairs is that he wants to order whatever it is I need to get it fixed... I guess he's paranoid. I was just wanting to know where he could get that part, like, yesterday.

TantricH2
11-26-2006, 03:44 AM
Tantrich

Just to jump in here I a month ago had "service air suspension" come up on display. I went in and they told me they saw the code and would replace compressor. I have an 03 as well.

The part was also on backorder and took about 5 days to come in. They replaced under warranty (I bought certified 2003 H2).:)

I guess once I get the air bags in I'll have to go to the dealership to see if it's throwing any codes. Last time I was there (when they couldn't find the leak I found myself), it was not throwing any codes. I'm afraid I will go with the coil springs before I would buy a new compressor.

ASTAR
11-26-2006, 07:13 AM
I forgot if you had been told to and had checked the fitting at the inside of the rig. If I have my air hose hooked up inside, it will let the air out of the airbags and the ride height will come down. Maybe the valve core is leaking or something? Try replacing the valve core (they are super cheap at any auto parts store) and maybe even get a new valve cap that is made of steel and has an o-ring inside it and tighen it down well. I know that you found one of the bags to be bad but maybe this could be something contributing to the leak?
I don't know, good luck though.
Also, as far as replacing the compressor, I know the factory one is REDICULOUSLY expensive and I plan to replace mine (if I ever have to) with a quality aftermarket VIAIR or something. They are a LOT cheaper and will be just as or more depndable.

Dug
11-26-2006, 03:26 PM
tantric. I also wondered if it was just a connection or fitting that was leaking and not your actual air bag where you saw the leak. BUt it you are emptying the air out of the bags in 30seconds as said i would think you have a pretty good leak. Not to mention that you are probably overheating the pump and setting off a relay to keep that bags up while running.
The air pump is finally crapped out on my H2 and i will post what i use for a new one when i get around to putting one in. good luck . doug

TantricH2
11-26-2006, 10:27 PM
I have not had the opportunity to check the fitting yet.. Where ever the leak is coming from, its only growing. I'm just afraid the compressor is shot now. :lame:

I can't own anything that works properly. Much like my vettes - its always somethin.

Anyone know where I can get that part that I listed in my first post?

PARAGON
11-26-2006, 10:35 PM
Anyone know where I can get that part that I listed in my first post?partsguy, the guy that gave you the number.