PDA

View Full Version : Vortech supercharger comments

Michael Baker
11-26-2006, 11:46 PM
I installed the supercharger on my H2 two years ago, but I have only recently installed the gauges necessary to monitor how it performs.

The boost gauge was showing a maximum boost pressure of 4-5 psi when flooring the accelerator. According to Vortech, it should reach 8 psi, but they said that maybe the max of 4-5 is due to decreased back pressure on my vehicle as a result of installing headers and removing the catalytic converters. I purchased a new compressor pulley two sizes smaller than the stock one, and this has now resulted in boost pressure of 8-10 psi when flooring the accelerator pedal.

I installed gauges to measure temperature of the air entering and leaving the charger cooler. To my surprise the difference is only 20 degrees ? the temperature drops from 150 to 130. On their website Vortech claim a temperature drop of 100 degrees. This will be the focus of my attention now. I am thinking about replacing and re-routing the rubber tubing as it seems to me that it is constricted when it passes to the font of the car and on to the radiator (following Vortech?s installation instruction route). I have already replaced the flimsy plastic reservoir with a custom made aluminum one, after breaking no less than TWO of them ? if you do install the Vortech, make sure that the blue cap of the reservoir does not touch the bottom of the hood when it is closed. I am thinking about replacing the reservoir with one much bigger (taller and wider) in the same position.

Any comments/similar experiences would be welcome.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
11-27-2006, 01:02 PM
Where are You taking Your boost measurement from on the engine?

I'm less experienced with Vortech but, this is a question that should fit any kit. I like and recommend all to run a roots style supercharger as when installed they replace the intake manifold themselves. Little off topic. But, where you are getting boost measurement from can have effect. The difference in temp from air entering SP and leaving SP I'm surprised they claim that much difference in temp drop.

Unless You have an intercooler installed in loop and have forced air moving through it at idle will make temp at what ever outside ambient temp is. Once rig is rolling it would most likely drop but, no lower than what outside temp is.

My Magnuson Radix supercharger which is a water cooled aftercooler runs about 200 to 230 degrees depending on temp of air coming through grill of H2.

There may be others more familiar with your brand but, i will try to help if i can. Fill me in on if You have a intercooler or not. Where boost is being measured. Does your SP use air to air or air to water for SP cooling and any other info You can give.

Give Me model number of Your SP and i will research it more. Also Dragon my friend and partner in Hummer customizing shop along with His own tuner and muscle car customizing shop plus He paints and customizing anything. I may be able to get Him in on this one if We need to.

TAZ.