PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Hi-Lift jack and ramps on spare tire carrier

Michael Baker
11-27-2006, 12:02 AM
In a previous thread about running different tire sizes on the H2, someone asked for pictures on how I had mounted the spare and some other stuff on the spare tire carrier.

As you can see from attached photos, I extended the spare tire carrier out 6 1/2 inches from the body by inserting some steel blocks. In the space gained I mounted the 60" Hi-Lift jack horizontally, and built a frame to hold two 5 ft aluminum ramps/ladders (that I then painted black). The ladders are not centrally mounted, but moved slightly left-of-center so that the carrier can open all the way. The spare tire carrier swings open as before, carrying the ladders/ramps with it. It has to open all the way until the tire touches the rear indicator light protector in order for the rear door to be able to swing up. The high-lift remains attached to the blocks.

Photos attached.

CslRkH2
11-27-2006, 12:04 AM
In a previous thread about running different tire sizes on the H2, someone asked for pictures on how I had mounted the spare and some other stuff on the spare tire carrier.

As you can see from attached photos, I extended the spare tire carrier out 6 1/2 inches from the body by inserting some steel blocks. In the space gained I mounted the 60" Hi-Lift jack horizontally, and built a frame to hold two 5 ft aluminum ramps/ladders (that I then painted black). The ladders are not centrally mounted, but moved slightly left-of-center so that the carrier can open all the way. The spare tire carrier swings open as before, carrying the ladders/ramps with it. It has to open all the way until the tire touches the rear indicator light protector in order for the rear door to be able to swing up. The high-lift remains attached to the blocks.

Photos attached.
Any effect on departure angle?

Michael Baker
11-27-2006, 02:22 AM
I my case I think the departure angle is defined by the exhaust tips, and therefore I do not belive it has been affected.

timgco
11-27-2006, 02:47 AM
Nice job. Did you fab that up? Any more info/ pics on the ramps?

Nice ride btw.

Michael Baker
11-27-2006, 03:02 AM
The ramps I bought from:

http://www.okoffroad.com/stuff-ramps.htm

I had to shorten them by a couple of inches to make them fit, and I painted them black so that they blended into the tire carrier etc.

The blocks were custom made, and drilled to accept the Hi-Lift with two bolts and four guides. I also changed the mechanism that makes sure that the tire carrier does not open, as I felt that it might not be able to manage the extra weight.

lennyrebel
11-27-2006, 06:02 AM
The ramps I bought from:

I had to shorten them by a couple of inches to make them fit, and I painted them black so that they blended into the tire carrier etc.

The blocks were custom made, and drilled to accept the Hi-Lift with two bolts and four guides. I also changed the mechanism that makes sure that the tire carrier does not open, as I felt that it might not be able to manage the extra weight.
Nice Job ,I,m wondering about changed[ie increased] stresses on the tire swing mount assy. but Your probably fine because tire mount is massive-@H2 Quality--Nice ride by the way. Regards The Rebel Ecuador?

timgco
11-27-2006, 05:42 PM
The ramps I bought from:

Ah perfect. I wanted to order a set of these beofre the next Moab trip. I wanted to make sure the H3's could follow us. I think with the ramps they should be fine? :jump:

ROX
11-28-2006, 02:00 AM
I wanted to order a set of these beofre the next Moab trip. I wanted to make sure the H3's could follow us. you're gonna be toast for saying that I think. :D

Cool rig Michael :)

timgco
11-28-2006, 04:21 AM
you're gonna be toast for saying that I think. :D

Cool rig Michael :)

Come on Rox. The 3'ers should have thick enough skin by now. Besides, I still have a H3.