PDA

View Full Version : Question - rear mounting of larger tire/wheel

TXSUT
11-28-2006, 01:48 PM
I've been running with an OEM spare, but when I got my new Toyo M/Ts (37x13.5x18) last week, I bought 5 and a new 18x10 wheel to mount the spare on. Tha backspacing on the wheel is 4.5". Am I going to have any issues with mounting this larger tire/wheel combo on the the OEM tire carrier?

Thanks,

Pete

PARAGON
11-28-2006, 04:25 PM
I've been running with an OEM spare, but when I got my new Toyo M/Ts (37x13.5x18) last week, I bought 5 and a new 18x10 wheel to mount the spare on. Tha backspacing on the wheel is 4.5". Am I going to have any issues with mounting this larger tire/wheel combo on the the OEM tire carrier?

Thanks,

Pete

Man up and stick that SOB up there and see if it works.:D

Then go boil me up some crawdads.

I think others have run a similar setup. If not, you could just get the some lug studs replaced with some longer ones.

lasvegash2
11-28-2006, 04:38 PM
yes it will work...mine is 18 x 9.5 with 4.25 backspace with a 38.5 x 14.5 tire. i had the same concern, but no problem

TXSUT
11-28-2006, 07:11 PM
Thanks LV!

TXSUT
11-28-2006, 07:13 PM
Man up and stick that SOB up there and see if it works.:D

Then go boil me up some crawdads.

:jump:

I haven't gotten the tire mounted on the wheel yet, or else I would have tried it myself.

And (good) crawfish are out of season...you know that! :fdance:

rocketw19
11-30-2006, 06:50 AM
yep fits no problem. one thing how is your center cap? mine had a small diameter and i had to cut off the part that sticks out and holds the license plate light.

TXSUT
11-30-2006, 09:27 PM
one thing how is your center cap?

It's large diameter, so I should be okay. Thanks!

murf
11-30-2006, 10:48 PM
That will fit, my 38x15.5x18 fit on the outside carrier before I removed it, and actually it opened easier with the bigger tire on it.

Thanks,

Pete

TXSUT
11-30-2006, 11:02 PM
Thanks Murf!

tomp
12-01-2006, 01:03 AM
Tire/wheel may wobble a bit down the road as it will no longer fit up against the tire carrier the same way as it did before.

TXSUT
12-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Got it mounted. I had to shim the wheel away from the mount to account for the fact that the thickness of the Weld wheel's hub is less than that of the OEM wheel. I also had to hack the crap out of my license plate holder to make it line up correctly, so I'm thinking about relocating it to the bumper.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Pete

timgco
12-04-2006, 09:17 PM
Got it mounted. I had to shim the wheel away from the mount to account for the fact that the thickness of the Weld wheel's hub is less than that of the OEM wheel. I also had to hack the crap out of my license plate holder to make it line up correctly, so I'm thinking about relocating it to the bumper.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Pete

Pull your wheel back off. Take a grinder to that hub that sticks out and throw that license plate bracket in the garbage. :D You have a very nice wheel and it deserves full view back there. Once you cut that hub off, black touch up paint, put your new center cap on. And your done with that. The plate you can mount on teh PS SD next to the tow hook. I posted some pics on an earlier post. Auto zone will have a light you can screw to the bottom side of your tire carrier.

TXSUT
12-05-2006, 06:05 PM
LOL Tim, good advice. As big as the center cap is on these wheels, I don't think I'll have to grind anything, it should fit over the part that houses the plate light. I'll go find your pics on mounting the plate...THANKS!

Having to shim the wheel out is a different issue altogether, as the lug nits bottom out on the studs before tightening against the wheel. I'm going to have someone cut an aluminum disk for me, drilled for the studs, something decent to replace the two pieces of aluminum flat bar I'm using now.

JDLarue
12-08-2006, 12:37 AM
When I tried to put a 37x13.5x17 Toyo M/T on a stock rim on my rear tire carrier it went on but the two studs at the bottom had just a few threads showing and the top two had all threads showing. So it would have worked but the tire was sitting at a goofy angle with the top closer to the body than the bottom. The problem was the bottom of the tire was hitting the arm of the carrier. For what it's worth.