PDA

View Full Version : FRT DRIVE SHAFT

ROADCAPT
11-28-2006, 05:49 PM
Any one removed the frt shaft for running around town, better low end red light to red light??

Be Safe

JohnB.GWU.
11-28-2006, 06:15 PM
I've been saying that for the longest time. Lock the transfer case in 4hi (1:1 gearing so it will be completely normal) and save the money on gas etc. Removing a driveshaft is simply 4 bolts on each end of the shaft. With a jack and tools on hand, it could take as little as 20 mins.

mdoyle
11-28-2006, 06:38 PM
Just taking out the driveshaft is not the same as a true two wheel drivetrain, you've still got the inertia and combined friction of the balance of the four wheel drive assembly.

You're still turning the transfer case and the front wheels are still driving the half shafts and differential without the driveshaft connected.

I think the mileage savings would be negligible if they existed at all.

f5fstop
11-28-2006, 10:38 PM
Just taking out the driveshaft is not the same as a true two wheel drivetrain, you've still got the inertia and combined friction of the balance of the four wheel drive assembly.

You're still turning the transfer case and the front wheels are still driving the half shafts and differential without the driveshaft connected.

I think the mileage savings would be negligible if they existed at all.

Very true. Doing this will not save that much on fuel. This arises when people ask about a full-time versus part-time 4WD system.

JohnB.GWU.
11-28-2006, 11:30 PM
fine then.

Take out hte front driveshaft and install auto locking/manual hubs like they have on other GM part time 4wd systems and then you'll get the full benefit

mdoyle
11-28-2006, 11:58 PM
fine then.

Take out hte front driveshaft and install auto locking/manual hubs like they have on other GM part time 4wd systems and then you'll get the full benefit

And for the cost of that conversion you've just spent more than you would have saved on the equivalent expense in fuel :clapping:

We aren't driving these for their gas mileage :D

f5fstop
11-29-2006, 12:26 AM
And for the cost of that conversion you've just spent more than you would have saved on the equivalent expense in fuel :clapping:

What he says, X2

JohnB.GWU.
11-29-2006, 12:43 AM
What he says, X2

I've had 3 H2s. If you look on the member list I'm the third H2 there, name, Jrbbikerx.

here is the same pic, full size. 2nd one taken the same day, different angle. the last is the X we used to have that was wheeled with the h2 before it was rolled

JohnB.GWU.
11-29-2006, 12:44 AM
the X in all its glory

JohnB.GWU.
11-29-2006, 12:47 AM

and it really wouldnt be that expensive.
Removing the driveshaft would be free, the hubs could be bought from a wrecky GM with the same front end which is pretty common since its been out for a few years and you know there are wrecked ones around.

Im guesstimating 150 tops.

personally id go with a tornado though. ha

mikejr
11-29-2006, 02:23 AM
Way back when....1977...had a GMC Jimmy....replaced the standard auto hubs with Warn Locking hubs. I noticed absolutely no increase in mileage whatsoever.

Sure in theory you are not turning as much of the drivetrain, but the weight of the vehicle hasnt changed.

X2 on the comment we dont buy a hummer for the gas mileage.

I wouldnt expect any increase in the mileage.

Unless you tested two exact vehicles, under controlled circumstance and conditions any potential gains could be attributed to any number of things other than the mods to the drivetrain.

Perhaps this could be a good episode for MythBusters.

Drainbamaged
11-29-2006, 02:40 AM
I busted my front Differential on sunday and I thought the same thing. Take the front Drive shaft off so i can make it home or to the shop. Well the bolts are only on the front differential side. The rear of the drive shaft is a slip yoke which if you take out will drain all the fluid out of the transfer case. I don't know about any other years but I would think that hummer wouldn't change the design and leave it the same for all years.

Dug
11-29-2006, 02:47 AM
You wont find any locking hubs for a H2.
Also , like everyone said there will be no gas saving without the front driveshaft. Sorry.

mikejr
11-29-2006, 02:54 AM
something about a 2WD hummer just is wrong with the world....the universe would collapse if we had 2WD hummers on the road....

Alan06SUT
11-29-2006, 04:22 AM
We need the "beating a dead horse" icon on this forum.:D It wont do a damn thing. Its a brick and weighs a lot, and wont get "good" mileage no matter what. I also did the "maual hub conversion" on a 1975 K5. It had a full time NP203 Transfer case. I put in a kit that made the Tcase part time, and added warn manual hubs. The only difference was that the front tires didnt wear as much, but the rears probably wore down more. Mileage was the same.

f5fstop
11-29-2006, 11:48 AM
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m252/f5fstop/beatdeadhorse5.gif

mikejr
11-29-2006, 02:09 PM
X2

md_sailor
11-29-2006, 04:29 PM
What he says, X2
:iagree: X3

Hummie2
11-29-2006, 06:30 PM
I busted my front Differential on sunday and I thought the same thing. Take the front Drive shaft off so i can make it home or to the shop. Well the bolts are only on the front differential side. The rear of the drive shaft is a slip yoke which if you take out will drain all the fluid out of the transfer case. I don't know about any other years but I would think that hummer wouldn't change the design and leave it the same for all years.

Did you actually try and pull the front shaft or just look and think it was a slipjoint similar to the rear shaft? On my '03 the front shaft has a male spline on the T-case end of the prop.shaft that engages an internally splined hollow output shaft of the of the T-case. I CAN pull the front shaft if necessary without loosing oil. I carry a "Limp Home Kit" just so I can pull the front prop.shaft and both halfshafts in case of a blown frontend. BE SURE to retain the front wheelhub bearings some way if you do pull the front halfshafts as the wheel bearings/seal assy. can seperate if operated without the halfshafts in place!

I still wouldn't recommend running without the front prop.shaft very long as the rear axle would be left to carry 100% of the load as opposed to its designed 60/40 torque split with the front axle. The H2 is a heavy truck and has a relatively light rear axle that would certainly wear much faster if left to handle 100% of the torque load. What gains in fuel economy (if any) would be more than offset by the costs of increased axle maintenance.

JohnB.GWU.
11-29-2006, 10:50 PM
We need the "beating a dead horse" icon on this forum.:D It wont do a damn thing. Its a brick and weighs a lot, and wont get "good" mileage no matter what. I also did the "maual hub conversion" on a 1975 K5. It had a full time NP203 Transfer case. I put in a kit that made the Tcase part time, and added warn manual hubs. The only difference was that the front tires didnt wear as much, but the rears probably wore down more. Mileage was the same.

I guess thats a somewhat definitive answer to the gas mileage argument of converting a full time 4wd system to part time.

I live in NJ and would not disable the full time 4wd feature but someone in a sunshine state perhaps, who doesnt always need 4wd could use such a conversion.

I bet if dealerships offered such a conversion, if GM let them or whatever, people could be talked into buying it.

Yes its heavy. Yes it has the aero of a brick. And yes all three of mine have never gotten over 12.8 avg mpg. but its a helluva lotta fun to drive, so who cares to sum it up. this is just a convo topic, not a war.

Drainbamaged
11-30-2006, 09:59 PM
I just looked at it and figured that it was like my blazer which i did take the front drive shaft off and fluid poored out. If this is true then I could take my drive shaft out and drive the 15 miles to the dealer. It is an 03 and the Diff case just cracked open but it did not sieze or destroy the gears from what i can see.

OrangeCrush
12-02-2006, 01:49 PM
I carry a "Limp Home Kit" just so I can pull the front prop.shaft and both halfshafts in case of a blown frontend. .

How do you drive the truck without the front shaft? I removed mine when I was trying to find a vibration problem thinking I could drive it down the road and eliminate one more problem but it wouldn't go into gear.

I know there is a way to trick the truck into driving without a front driveshaft, I just don't know how.

Mark

drmiles
12-02-2006, 02:04 PM
You have to switch the transfer case to 4 high lock. Other wise the front shaft just spins without the front driveshaft connected.