PDA

View Full Version : For those with lift kits, what do ya'll do for a spare?

OrangeCrush
11-29-2006, 12:55 PM
I've had my liftkit on for about a year and I've been running around without a spare. I do keep a plug kit onboard but other than that, I don't usually worry about it.

Toyo 38's are pretty thick and durable so it hasn't been an issue.

I don't like the rear tailgate setup and I sure as hell can't put it on the roof. Ohhhh, I'm sure I could put it on the roof but can you imagine me trying to get that damn tire down? One push over the edge and I can see the tire bouncing down the road a 1/4 mile.

Do the rest of you run without a spare except when going serious off-roading?

Just curious.

Mark

ree
11-29-2006, 02:43 PM
I would think that getting it down is easy and getting the flat back up is the tough part.

Adam in CO
11-29-2006, 03:32 PM
On the roof. Getting it down is easy. Getting it back up there is the tough part.

JamesT
11-29-2006, 05:36 PM
Dont carry a spare...I am sure its gonna bite me in the ass one day though. On Star!

timgco
11-29-2006, 06:30 PM
The tree saver or tow strap method works the best IMO. With two people it's not bad at all. I only throw the tire up top when going to Moab, otherwise I also have one on the rear of the truck.

If the height thing isn't an issue for you, I'd say throw it up top on a rack. Otherwise out back. Inside mounts take up way too much room. I'm not sure a 38 would even fit inside ???

Your plug kit is a great idea. My only concern is if you mess up your rim or tear out your sidewall at some point... esp. if you are towing a trailer or any toys.

Captain of the Titanic
11-29-2006, 07:22 PM
Dont carry a spare...I am sure its gonna bite me in the ass one day though. On Star!

You can forget that On-Star button. If you aren't on pavement, they won't help. When I sunk my H3, we got it within 40' of the road, and the on-star tow truck driver said, and I quote, "Go f*ck yourself". Thankfully the Fort Worth Hummer Dealer was my savior and towed the poor little truck into the dealership, where it sat until State Farm totalled it.

Screw On-Star. It may be good for directions to a hotel, but not much else...

timgco
11-29-2006, 07:37 PM
You can forget that On-Star button. If you aren't on pavement, they won't help. When I sunk my H3, we got it within 40' of the road, and the on-star tow truck driver said, and I quote, "Go f*ck yourself". Thankfully the Fort Worth Hummer Dealer was my savior and towed the poor little truck into the dealership, where it sat until State Farm totalled it.

Screw On-Star. It may be good for directions to a hotel, but not much else...

On a side note, out here in CO, OnStar doesn't work up in the mountains. When my air bags blew out, it wouldn't work. When I did get to the nearest town (4 hours later) they still couldn't get a rental on a Sunday up in the mountains. 2 people, 2 dogs and gear won't go in the cab of the flatbed either. I had to drive all the way to Denver with a chunk of wood wedged in there at 35mph. it was one long a$$ day to say the least.

DennisAJC
11-29-2006, 08:41 PM
Never bring the spare unless I go on an excursion like Moab.

You rarely hear of Hummers getting flats. Mostly they pop a bead when off-roading.

devilsfan
11-29-2006, 09:03 PM
Some also break valve stems. In which case a spare would definitely come in handy.

Mine is mounted on the back with no problems.

As for On-Star - VERY spotty coverage. I can get coverage pretty much anywhere EXCEPT my driveway. It simply won't connect. Which is stupid because the On-Star in the Slade connects just fine, which is literally less than a foot away.

Maybe the lift????

Stacy

Albie
11-30-2006, 06:40 AM
i keep the oem tire on the back... its kinda like the doughnut they give out with other cars....

Hummie2
11-30-2006, 06:13 PM
Last time I was off-road I had a puncture on one tire and a deep cut on another. I plugged the puncture and swapped the spare for the one with the deep cut.

That brings up another question: any luck using "Free Replacement Certificates" for OFFROAD damage? :confused:

Screeper
12-01-2006, 02:00 AM
Between my plug kit and compressor I believe I can repair, if only temporarily, almost any flat. I keep my factory spare as a last resort. On my jeep I once used about ten plugs to repair a one inch tear in the side wall. I got off the trail and limped to a shop. If I had a place for the full size spare I would carry it though.

KenP
12-01-2006, 06:36 AM
I just keep it on the back.

raptor2ride
12-02-2006, 03:58 AM
My spare.

Revans310
12-02-2006, 04:18 AM
My spare.

What rack it that?

Thx

ASTAR
12-02-2006, 08:22 PM
I laugh. For my Jeep (44" Boggers and hardcore wheeling) I only carry a safety seal plug kit and Co2. I have fixed some gnarly cuts with multiple plugs! With my onboard air and a safety seal kit in the H2, I am confident I can fix 99% of whatever might ail me. The other 1%, yeah, I take a chance :)
Considering a full size spare someday.