PDA

View Full Version : H2 Plant Layoffs

BlueHUMMERH2
11-29-2006, 06:24 PM
http://www.hummerguy.net/hummer-news/indiana-hummer-h2-plant-to-cut-160-jobs

f5fstop
11-29-2006, 11:35 PM
"Experts say high gas prices may affect H2 sales to some degree, but what affects the vehicle most is its market-limiting price tag."

And non-experts say the other reason is the drivetrain and body are too old in the tooth. Drivetrain will change next year, and interior, but the body needs a drastic change. And, the release of the H3 just may have stolen some sales. :jump: Just my non-expert opinion.

NewHummerGuy
11-30-2006, 12:21 AM
"Experts say high gas prices may affect H2 sales to some degree, but what affects the vehicle most is its market-limiting price tag."

And non-experts say the other reason is the drivetrain and body are too old in the tooth. Drivetrain will change next year, and interior, but the body needs a drastic change. And, the release of the H3 just may have stolen some sales. :jump: Just my non-expert opinion.

Interior....YES could be improved. But i sure as hell hope they dont go rounding off the exterior to look like some God damn everday SUV. The boxy shape needs to be kept. If not I should just by a Tahoe and add some offroad goodies. I know the suspension blows a Tahoes away but one of the appealing factors to me with the H2 is its "odd" look.

f5fstop
11-30-2006, 01:03 AM
I am NOT saying to round it off, but there are changes that could be done to improve and add a new refreshed look to the vehicle. I'm not a designer so, I can't help, but changing the front end and adding HIDs, changing the back end and added LEDs.
Possible a temp spare could be used to save weight, http://hometown.aol.com/f5fstop01/images/yellow%20rolling%20on%20floor%20laughing.gif, some large fender flares to make it look like a large H3 http://hometown.aol.com/f5fstop01/images/rollingonfloorlaughing.gif, with some automatic chrome retractable running boards with lights.http://hometown.aol.com/f5fstop01/images/crazy.gif

HummBebe
11-30-2006, 01:11 AM
I am NOT saying to round it off, but there are changes that could be done to improve and add a new refreshed look to the vehicle. I'm not a designer so, I can't help, but changing the front end and adding HIDs, changing the back end and added LEDs.
Possible a temp spare could be used to save weight, http://hometown.aol.com/f5fstop01/images/yellow%20rolling%20on%20floor%20laughing.gif, some large fender flares to make it look like a large H3 http://hometown.aol.com/f5fstop01/images/rollingonfloorlaughing.gif, with some automatic chrome retractable running boards with lights.http://hometown.aol.com/f5fstop01/images/crazy.gif

:jump:

No wait......

Alan06SUT
11-30-2006, 01:22 AM
Maybe they should quit building the H2 and just build H3'sthen :D :D :D . $$$ will be the deciding factor of course.

It kicks ass, nothing on the planet can wear as many hats as it, and if its time is over, so be it. I got mine. H3 can't do what I need it to do, nor can JK, Rubicon, KY cruiser, etc. Maybe there are to few of "me's" out there for it to sell? Good, I (we H2 owners) am (are) rare.

My opinion is that we will see a comback w/ the new engine/interior, especially if it has a deisel option. You will get a buch of the contractor types and specialty blue collar guys types to give it a look.

Hopefully the exterior will remain mostly the same as I feel it can be a timeless design (like the Jeep). Therefore, acessories and parts interchangability will help it become the off road entusiast vehicle it should be. Of course new lights, bumpers, grilles, interiors, etc should happen, but if the chassis remains similar it will grow to be a legend like the Broncos, K5's and more recently XJ's have.

We will see!

NewHummerGuy
11-30-2006, 01:45 AM

Well if it has the automatic chrome retractable running boards with lights then where can I pre-order:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

PARAGON
11-30-2006, 01:46 AM
Maybe they should quit building the H2 and just build H3'sthen :D :D :D . $$$ will be the deciding factor of course.

It kicks ass, nothing on the planet can wear as many hats as it, and if its time is over, so be it. I got mine. H3 can't do what I need it to do, nor can JK, Rubicon, KY cruiser, etc. Maybe there are to few of "me's" out there for it to sell? Good, I (we H2 owners) am (are) rare.

My opinion is that we will see a comback w/ the new engine/interior, especially if it has a deisel option. You will get a buch of the contractor types and specialty blue collar guys types to give it a look.

Hopefully the exterior will remain mostly the same as I feel it can be a timeless design (like the Jeep). Therefore, acessories and parts interchangability will help it become the off road entusiast vehicle it should be. Of course new lights, bumpers, grilles, interiors, etc should happen, but if the chassis remains similar it will grow to be a legend like the Broncos, K5's and more recently XJ's have.

We will see!yesh..... ditto.... yesh

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
11-30-2006, 02:36 AM

We will see!

SUPER DITTO'S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave outside alone, add diesel option, and not change interior but add options for seating and console like 4 captains with full console. HID's outside for better visibiliy but, please leave outside look alone for everyday user and let each person add their signature to it and that keeps a whole other industry alive as well. I can't wait till i get another H2 to go with Show Queen to drive everyday with diesel in the new one and just run the wheels off it and it not be a super glamour girl. Even if I do not off road, which would not be the case, I would use it as a daily work truck in SUT or a H2 pickup model and it would go dirty a few more days like a work truck would. But, would be happy with regular old H2 wear it out and come back and buy the same one again not worried if it looked the same as the one I had 10 years ago, I buy a GM pickup truck for 25 years not for change in looks. The H2 meets the urge it causes inside ME to be used in different roles as represented by the hundreds of cases on this forum. Reference Pic of TAZ "Beastly Beauty" customized because that is what i felt like doing with it at the time. Next one would like 4 captains as no kids to haul and huge rear carrying space for cases of blueprints, tool chest, lock in box to carry items or luggage, and whatever else. They take rough edge off H2 and I can get by with a GM truck and a new 2008 Challenger R/T.

TAZ

89vette
11-30-2006, 03:13 AM
I say limited changes the exterior. Temp spare? What are you smoking! The two biggest areas in my opinion are interior and engine. The interior quality is laughable let's face it. The plastic door panels tell you everything you need to know. The engine is also a dog. Add a dura-max (which I think will not happen) and the 403 HP 6.2 Escalade enigne.

Alan06SUT
11-30-2006, 04:20 AM
SUPER DITTO'S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait till i get another H2 to go with Show Queen to drive everyday ...

TAZ

Absolutley. I am a builder and mine IS my work truck daily driver. I have canvas seat covers and husky floor mats so it can get dirty without worries. It stays dirty for about two weeks at a time. Its geat for towing, yet its a heck of alot shorter than most 2500's or F250's, so I can park it easier in the city (belive it or not). Also its comfortable for taking clients/homeowners to lunch, and they like it as much as the laborers on the site. Then, when my wheeling urge comes on, I hop in and go. Just like my vette, I can drive it everyday reliably, then jump in it for a track day. No hours of tuning, preping, then towing, breaking, etc. The end result is I take it wheeling more than my "off road toy" that I just sold!

Alan06SUT
11-30-2006, 04:23 AM
I say limited changes the exterior. Temp spare? What are you smoking! The two biggest areas in my opinion are interior and engine. The interior quality is laughable let's face it. The plastic door panels tell you everything you need to know. The engine is also a dog. Add a dura-max (which I think will not happen) and the 403 HP 6.2 Escalade enigne.

I bet they put that 6.2 in there and that new smaller diesel thats designed to fit the same dimensions as the current smallblock gas motor.

Tranny upgrade would be nice also!

PARAGON
11-30-2006, 05:00 AM
I bet they put that 6.2 in there and that new smaller diesel thats designed to fit the same dimensions as the current smallblock gas motor.

Tranny upgrade would be nice also!It has the same 6.2 and 6 speed tranny that's in the current slades and whatnot. I'm guessing it will have DOD.

I'm betting average HWY pushing 17MPG

Alan06SUT
11-30-2006, 05:31 AM
It has the same 6.2 and 6 speed tranny that's in the current slades and whatnot. I'm guessing it will have DOD.

I'm betting average HWY pushing 17MPG

That is amazing for a 6400LB vehicle! I'd probably stick with the gas then so its nice and quiet.

lennyrebel
11-30-2006, 06:20 AM
Make it look like an H3 did that hurt I thought the H3 was a small cheap imitation of an H2 .The REBEL

f5fstop
11-30-2006, 11:44 AM
I bet they put that 6.2 in there http://hometown.aol.com/f5fstop01/images/yesnod.gif and that new smaller diesel thats designed to fit the same dimensions as the current smallblock gas motor. Not for a few years.

Tranny upgrade would be nice also! What Paragon said....
Can't speak for fuel mileage...yet.

RazM
11-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Make it look like an H3 did that hurt I thought the H3 was a small cheap imitation of an H2 .The REBEL
This coming from a guy whose genes come from his mom and her cousin Jimmy Bob.

PARAGON
11-30-2006, 06:48 PM
What Paragon said....
Can't speak for fuel mileage...yet.I pulled that number out of my.... well out of the air. Just a guess.

We can get a stock H2 to average 13 on the Hwy easily right now. 3-4 MPG should be easily achieved with the new tranny and dropping 4 cyls from time to time.

It is still a big barn to be pushing down the hwy, but the combo of the extra ponies and the tranny should give it some more mileage.

ROX
11-30-2006, 07:11 PM
:jump:

No wait......Stop it! I like my H2!:crying: If they change the body style I might as well go back to driving the F.O.R.D. :(

HummBebe
11-30-2006, 07:26 PM
I just thought F5 was funny....I want an H2 too:fdance:

ROX
11-30-2006, 09:13 PM
I just thought F5 was funny....I want an H2 too:fdance:He was funny. I was just giving you a bad time.:fdance:

f5fstop
12-01-2006, 12:01 AM
I pulled that number out of my.... well out of the air. Just a guess.

We can get a stock H2 to average 13 on the Hwy easily right now. 3-4 MPG should be easily achieved with the new tranny and dropping 4 cyls from time to time.

It is still a big barn to be pushing down the hwy, but the combo of the extra ponies and the tranny should give it some more mileage.

You reasoning is good, and it might be close. Just have not heard anything official. They say the Escalades get around 23, and that is not a light vehicle, but it is a bit more aerodynamic. I think it would be a hell of a package.

f5fstop
12-01-2006, 12:01 AM
He was funny. I was just giving you a bad time.:fdance:

I am getting my sense of humor back.....:clapping: :jump:

HummBebe
12-01-2006, 01:10 AM
I am getting my sense of humor back.....:clapping: :jump:

'bout freakin' time too. :iagree:

Htothe2
12-01-2006, 02:51 AM
i hope they dont change the interior like in the tahoe or suburban. It looks like a car inside.

mikejr
12-01-2006, 03:01 AM
I say leave the outside alone. Mine is my daily driver and as an owner of a real estate company, I couldnt ask for a better rolling billboard. My truck get so many looks its just natural to have the logos on it. Sure some of the interior is a bit cheap looking and feeling, so i wouldnt mind that being upgraded, but dont change the overall look, nothing looks like a hummer inside...or outside....so to all the hummer designers....DONT F&%K WITH IT!

PARAGON
12-01-2006, 04:10 AM
i hope they dont change the interior like in the tahoe or suburban. It looks like a car inside.that's just silly

No, please don't change it to look better, be more functionable and actually look like it's not cobbled together with a more flowing design.:confused:

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
12-01-2006, 07:10 PM
PARAGON

I do not think You are to far off with some suggestions for sure. I suggest that anyone take a look at the work Dragon and crew did to the
"Beastly Beauty". We wanted to streamline it more yet try and keep the orginal look as close as We could maybe meaner looking in some respects and use some newer technology. We wanted it still being recognized as H2 plus still looking like it was tough and could offroad. Which with the exception of the added weight of all the elctronics and custom added consoles we could have the girl ready to hit the dirt in about an hour if that long. We did offset the weight though with allot of HP and torque so we came out ahead I guess.

You may get a decent look at some streamlining. We felt in planning we blended tough and cleaner looking lines we designed into the H2 with some shaving and filling in. Take into account We could not change things over and over and work with clay. We had to make a decision and live with it although We did do a few things more than once like 2 different paint jobs. I think it is a good streamline look still being a brick on wheels and I like that though.

The interior I guess could use some cleaning up but, I like how it looks. I just wish the material used was better in places. Most interior upgrades usually are just the basic on most, not all rides, but just with leather, padded cloth or suede covering the cheap looking material. Later I plan to let Dragon's upholsterer do some surface upgrade with maybe more leather covering like osterich or alligator on door panels and leather on dash that is factory changed to match what ever We go with. So I guess when i think about it i will have what I would look for in a newer model H2 but, it is better being all lovingly done by hand. ;D It will be really more advanced electronically and allot more power and with the different tuning programs I can mess with MPG which when I put supercharger in stayed at 12MPG combined as long as i was not racing something at the stop lights and acting My age. I can see with the electronics and computer a company coming with a box controller kit and fuel rail replacements that would allow older modle H2's to drop fuel to cylinders like they already are doing with other GM products. With the HPTUNERS and me tuning I'm really not very far from having that capability right now since I'm controlling fuel, spark and timing all the time and at different RPM's all in one tune as well as depending on the load being asked of the engine. Some things do not function until WOT now so with correct software and a more sophisticated brain on H2 as well as on My shoulders the 6.0L could do allot better under low load requirements and match the other GM engines with an improved tranny but, we are doing that as well with tuning and later with some kits already out there to mkae the tranny agreat tranny.

Maybe that will be the next great new product winner at SEMA in 2007 to make all of us older year model H2 owners happily upgraded. Technology is there we already know that so why not retro fit using the technoilogy?
Would work for me and as Alan said I got mine already so if everyone quits buying H2 I'm Ok. I would feel bad for all the companies and private business people who have put years into the H2 aftermarket and would hurt them in the long run is what would bother me most. I think about Phil, DRTY, and Neil as well as others We know that has made H2's a career or even just hobby. Dragon and I are diversified but it would be badly missed the new H2 rolling each year seeing what has been added. Dragon has allot of tuners, drifters, muscle cars and show cars to build and accessorize it would be tolerable but a big hole in the thinking and feelings we have devoloped for that huge brick with wheels. So hopefully people will keep buying H2's and all of us will upgrade to new year models enough to help keep the H2 alive.

TAZ

MarineHawk
12-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Hopefully the exterior will remain mostly the same as I feel it can be a timeless design (like the J##p).

Agree. A few weeks ago, I was at an outdoor wedding. When the valet drove my Hummer away, it was the only time I have really seen it being driven by someone else. I wasn't really paying attention until I looked back at some one behind who was talking, and there was my H2 about 100 yds away. I almost froze. That was THE vehicle I really wanted. And it was mine. I recall thinking, "wow, that's the best looking vehicle I've ever seen." I would not change its basic looks one bit. If I could only have and drive one vehicle for the next ten years, and I could not sell it for cash (otherwise I would go for a Maybach or something), there is no other vehicle of which I know that I would rather have at any price. On the other hand, if I had to make the same choice, but for a second, non-commuting vehicle, I'd probably go with the H1.

lennyrebel
12-11-2006, 07:02 AM
This coming from a guy whose genes come from his mom and her cousin Jimmy Bob.
Sorry couldn't afford an H2 eh? Rebel

tazhog54
12-12-2006, 06:51 AM
Don't change it!!! I love being voted # 1 :dancingbanana: all the time!!!The fickled finger faith award is priceless !!!:iagree: