PDA

View Full Version : anyone hummer ever just not start up?

TuxifieD
12-03-2006, 08:33 AM
I was at a party tonight, went out to my car, turned the key everything inside turns on, music starts playn, turn to start it up... NOPE.. wont start up doesnt even make a sound will not turn on... anyone ever have this happen? Im going to have to tow it to the hummer dealership in the morning and :( Im scared for my baby.....:crying:I think im going to have to extend my warranty with this beast :(

DRTYFN
12-03-2006, 08:42 AM
Sounds like an ignition switch.

JetEyeNite
12-03-2006, 01:26 PM
It happned to me once... I am not sure why but I was able to start the engine using my remote starter. I then turned off the engine and restarted w/ my key again. ??? That was about 4 months ago. Haven't seen that problem again.

Screeper
12-03-2006, 04:05 PM
My friends H2 just had its starter replaced after the same issue. The truck had 20,000 miles. Starter motors just go bad sometimes.

h2co-pilot
12-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Sometimes, even if you don't hear a click, it could be the starter if everything electrical is working.

I'm calling starter, starter solenoid or ignition switch- prolly not a major repair.

GLBLWARMR
12-03-2006, 04:40 PM
Sometimes it is something just as easy as you did't get it fully in park. This will do the same thing. Enusre the shifter is fully in park then try again. Also you can try to start it in neutral.

lennyrebel
12-03-2006, 05:50 PM
I was at a party tonight, went out to my car, turned the key everything inside turns on, music starts playn, turn to start it up... NOPE.. wont start up doesnt even make a sound will not turn on... anyone ever have this happen? Im going to have to tow it to the hummer dealership in the morning and :( Im scared for my baby.....:crying:I think im going to have to extend my warranty with this beast :(
I'm calling it after the party was truck in park or neutral and did you use right key and did you shift to drive after motor was running. And were your shorts on right this morning or did you get home without any and are you Blonde. Hope you had fun. Regards The Rebel

ROX
12-03-2006, 06:07 PM
I was at a party tonight, went out to my car, turned the key everything inside turns on, music starts playn, turn to start it up... NOPE.. wont start up doesnt even make a sound will not turn on... anyone ever have this happen? Im going to have to tow it to the hummer dealership in the morning and :( Im scared for my baby.....:crying:I think im going to have to extend my warranty with this beast :(Yes, my starter went out. I stopped to put fuel in, and it never started again. TowD!:rant:

KenP
12-03-2006, 06:27 PM
Sometimes it is something just as easy as you did't get it fully in park. This will do the same thing. Enusre the shifter is fully in park then try again. Also you can try to start it in neutral.That's what I was thinking.

Or he was drunk.:giggling:

Or BOTH!!!

TuxifieD
12-03-2006, 07:16 PM
lol was not drunk, I dont drink ... and since im under warranty do I get free road side assistance so that they will tow me back to the hummer dealership for free?

orlasttoy
12-04-2006, 03:12 AM
happened to me...it was my remote starter that shorted out. check that if u got one.

H2bill
12-04-2006, 04:42 AM
lol was not drunk, I dont drink ... and since im under warranty do I get free road side assistance so that they will tow me back to the hummer dealership for free?

I would think the answer to that would be YES.

lennyrebel
12-04-2006, 07:22 AM
If you don't drink Why did you go to the party? I'm stickin with you put it in drive and then tried to start it and your Blonde and you did go home with no underware. Me think you protest to much. The Reb

mdoyle
12-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Here's an old trick that might save you when the starter "dies". The DC motor has divisions in the communtator that sometimes go bad resulting in a dead spot.

If you bang on the starter with a tire iron while turning the key (takes two people) you can usually get it past the dead spot and start the engine.

I realize this sounds crazy but it works. Of course you'll still need to replace that starter but at least you won't be stranded.

Rene S. Nielsen
12-06-2006, 01:28 AM
I just had this problem.

When i came out to get the car it wouldn't start, messed around with it for a complete day, and nothing woorked, the next day no problem. Then 10 days later, I just drove to the otherside off my house, and shut it off, then it wouldn't start, left it until the next day, started without a problem.

Had the ignition key exchanged, there hanv't been a problem since.

If you get stuck i town with this problem, just turn the key to ignition, and short the starter. You have access to the stater just over/behinf you right front wheel, there is not a lot of room, but it can be done.

Best regards
Rene

lennyrebel
12-10-2006, 06:58 AM
Where was the party at? I just saw a pair of undershorts going down the Detroit River and I thought of you and your missing shorts and hummer that wouldn't start in Drive . Trying to help, The Rebel

IBHUMIN
12-14-2006, 03:25 AM
I had my ignition switch go bad twice this year! First it started where I had no power. It started and drove but the engine would ram but give me nothing. Then finally it died. Had to have it towed to dealership. This was back in February. It just happened again about three weeks ago. I did get to drive it to dealership this time since I realized what it was right away. I don't understand why it keeps happening though. Any suggestions??

Steve - SanJose
12-14-2006, 06:39 AM
Nope not yet (H3).

S.

h2co-pilot
12-15-2006, 01:53 PM
I had my ignition switch go bad twice this year! First it started where I had no power. It started and drove but the engine would ram but give me nothing. Then finally it died. Had to have it towed to dealership. This was back in February.

The Transmission is shifted electrically with solenoids. When the ignition switch goes bad it doesn't power up the transmission fuse and the transmission defaults into a second gear start.

It just happened again about three weeks ago. I did get to drive it to dealership this time since I realized what it was right away. I don't understand why it keeps happening though. Any suggestions??

Well, there was a TSB out on a particular ignition switch- maybe someone else has details about it. But since you have had two- I don't know. It seems to be a common problem. It could be the way it is seated and daily driving causes things to disconnect, drain battery power or become frayed in some way.

Anyway, the ignition switch and shift solenoids are connected.

partsguy
12-17-2006, 09:29 PM
The Transmission is shifted electrically with solenoids. When the ignition switch goes bad it doesn't power up the transmission fuse and the transmission defaults into a second gear start.

Well, there was a TSB out on a particular ignition switch- maybe someone else has details about it. But since you have had two- I don't know. It seems to be a common problem. It could be the way it is seated and daily driving causes things to disconnect, drain battery power or become frayed in some way.

Anyway, the ignition switch and shift solenoids are connected.

Klaus, why are you posting as CP???????????Do something wrong:D

h2co-pilot
12-17-2006, 09:51 PM
Klaus, why are you posting as CP???????????Do something wrong:D

Oh please, here we go.:rolleyes::D

I can be informative too you know.:excited: It's just that no one listens.:crying:

DRTYFN
12-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Oh please, here we go.:rolleyes::D

I can be informative too you know.:excited: It's just that no one listens.:crying:
Monkey see, monkey do.:giggling:

h2co-pilot
12-18-2006, 01:54 AM
Monkey see, monkey do.:giggling:

Just plain monkey.:dancingbanana: