PDA

View Full Version : RUNNING WIRE FROM OUTSIDE ROOF TO INSIDE?

WHOSNEXT
12-06-2006, 09:57 PM
I need to run a wire from the back of the outside roof to the inside, what is the best way?

KenP
12-06-2006, 09:59 PM
I need to run a wire from the back of the outside roof to the inside, what is the best way? Remove one of the corner marker lights and go through the grommet. Be sure to seal it up with Black RTV.

ree
12-06-2006, 10:49 PM
And if you want to run it down behind the instrument panel, you can run it behind the pillar. I got some pictures of this during my CB antenna install here (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12906).

PARAGON
12-06-2006, 10:55 PM
He said the rear of the roof.

Use clear RTV and not black. Black is for losers.:giggling:

I can't say that I've had a rear clearance light off, but I assume it has the same grommet as the fronts. Problem would then be fishing the wire from the ceiling.

Is it going to the front anyway? I would try to put it under the rubber or alongside the roof-rail tracks and run it inside at a front marker light as ree shows.

ree
12-06-2006, 11:02 PM

Doh! I canst reads. :o

KenP
12-06-2006, 11:48 PM

Use clear RTV and not black. Black is for losers.:giggling: I like the way the black puddles so it fills real, real good.

I can't say that I've had a rear clearance light off, but I assume it has the same grommet as the fronts. Problem would then be fishing the wire from the ceiling. It does. He may be able to use fish-tape to get it to the front above the headliner, then come down the A-Pillar like we've all done.

Is it going to the front anyway? I would try to put it under the rubber or alongside the roof-rail tracks and run it inside at a front marker light as ree shows. That's the way I did my CB, also.
http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12224&highlight=antenna

CO Hummer
12-07-2006, 12:34 AM
Use clear RTV and not black. Black is for losers.:giggling:

X2! I used clear on mine. :D I did a crappy job and it leaked the first time (in a car wash). I applied a little more clear and it's sealed fine now.

KenP
12-07-2006, 01:00 AM
X2! I used clear on mine. :D I did a crappy job and it leaked the first time (in a car wash). I applied a little more clear and it's sealed fine now.I used black once and it didn't leak.:clapping:

Klaus
12-07-2006, 02:38 AM
I used black once and it didn't leak.:clapping:

Did it change your luck? ;) :D

Dug
12-07-2006, 02:49 AM
What is the wire for? what size is it? Just wondering as what could be a good route for it to go. doug

timgco
12-07-2006, 03:31 AM
the keu is to poke th ewire through the boot and get the correct length pulled through. Than pull that boot up all the way and run a bead of the RTV around the hole and push the gromit back on top. Than fill in the hole and just over the lip. THere's no way it can leak than.

PARAGON
12-07-2006, 03:39 AM
the keu is to poke th ewire through the boot and get the correct length pulled through. Than pull that boot up all the way and run a bead of the RTV around the hole and push the gromit back on top. Than fill in the hole and just over the lip. THere's no way it can leak than.PFFFT!!!!

You haven't seen how many wires are going into my hole. I don't have a what you would call a boot anymore. I cut away a big hole have a bunch of wires that are about 2" in diameter running through there, pulled the wires out a little, coated them with clear RTV well, put a healthy amount around, pulled the wires back in and then covered that with some more.

After it cured (after 37 days;) ) I took a pitcher of water and poured on it to see if leaked. After that I took a water hose and gradually added pressure, spraying directly onto the hole, and checked for leaks.

It didn't leak, so I moved on and later buttoned it all back up.

Obviously, it's much easier to check for leaks with the inside trim still off.

I have a coax, and about 8 - 10ga wires, an antenna wire for Sirius Satellite and probably something else I'm forgetting.

WHOSNEXT
12-07-2006, 06:50 PM
What is the wire for? what size is it? Just wondering as what could be a good route for it to go. doug

I'm adding Tracvision Satellite system to my truck and i believe there is 1 wire coming from the dish to inside but not sure of the size? thanks for all your help.