PDA

View Full Version : Oversize tires

JDLarue
12-07-2006, 08:55 AM
I have an 03 H2 with stock suspension and stock rims. I just put a set of 37x13.5x17 Toyo M/T's on it. They rub a little on the front sway bars and frame but only in tight turns. I wasn't anticipating a rubbing problem in back, but the inside sidewall lugs did rub on the rear sway arm brackets that are welded to the frame. A little trimming with the 'ol Sawzall "seems" to have taken care of it. Can any of the experienced Hummer wheelers out there tell me if I'm going to have a problem with rubbing when I go off road?

Adam in CO
12-07-2006, 03:44 PM
Yes they rub. On the street they rub. Off road they rub. A lot. It has not caused me any problems or damage.

Let it rub, let it rub.

KenP
12-07-2006, 03:44 PM
I have an 03 H2 with stock suspension and stock rims. I just put a set of 37x13.5x17 Toyo M/T's on it. They rub a little on the front sway bars and frame but only in tight turns. I wasn't anticipating a rubbing problem in back, but the inside sidewall lugs did rub on the rear sway arm brackets that are welded to the frame. A little trimming with the 'ol Sawzall "seems" to have taken care of it. Can any of the experienced Hummer wheelers out there tell me if I'm going to have a problem with rubbing when I go off road?Yes. The sway bar rubbing is normal, but when off-road you'll have some rubbing on the front fenderwell. It's no big deal and just plastic. Take some snips with you and just cut the plastic off or do it when you get home and can see all the marks. Over time you'll eliminate most of the rubbing there.

JDLarue
12-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Yes. The sway bar rubbing is normal, but when off-road you'll have some rubbing on the front fenderwell. It's no big deal and just plastic. Take some snips with you and just cut the plastic off or do it when you get home and can see all the marks. Over time you'll eliminate most of the rubbing there.

So you don't think that swing arm bracket will cut into the sidewall at the back?

JDLarue
12-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Nice looking truck brother!! OK, I'm definitely not a mechanic and I don't know what all the suspension parts are called but: There's a steel rod (bar) that attaches to the top of the differential housing and runs forward to a bracket on the frame. The corner of that bracket sticks out enough so that the inside of the tire sidewall of 37x13.5x17's rubs against it. It wasn't a problem with 35x12.5x17's but now it looks like that bracket could cut into the sidewall if you hit a big enough bump or dip. What do you think? You don't have any problem with yours rubbing there? Again, I have no lift kit.

JDLarue
12-07-2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks Phil.

JDLarue
12-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Thanks Ken.

murf
12-07-2006, 09:19 PM
So you don't think that swing arm bracket will cut into the sidewall at the back?

Just use a grinder to smooth your cut, you will have no problems. I am running the 38x15.5 on stock, with no cuts or damage to the Tires or vehicle.

JDLarue
12-08-2006, 12:26 AM
Thanks Phil. I just didn't want to get in a situation out in the bush somewhere and wind up with a torn open sidewall.

JDLarue
12-08-2006, 12:30 AM
Wow, 15.5's on a stock H2? Mine are only 13.5's and I can barely get my finger in between the sidewall and that damn bracket. Until I cut the corner off that is. :-) Thank God for sawzalls!!

Thnks Phil