PDA

View Full Version : HD Radio

wingnut2u
12-18-2006, 06:21 PM
Does anyone have any experience with HD radio?

I can upgrade my Alpine head unit for $250 but I was wondering if the difference is worth it in the Dallas/Ft. Worth market. Do you get more channels with HD or just better reception and music data?

I am so confused:confused: :confused:

BlueHUMMERH2
12-18-2006, 07:34 PM
SIRIUS tells me that HD radio is a way to try to win back customers to terrestrial radio so you can listen to their advertisements. I have no experience with HD radio, so I can't tell you. I imagine satellite has similar quality, and unless you've got a 5.1 surround system, HD radio probably doesn't bring much benefit.

This is speculation.

errett
12-19-2006, 04:55 AM
Does anyone have any experience with HD radio?

I can upgrade my Alpine head unit for $250 but I was wondering if the difference is worth it in the Dallas/Ft. Worth market. Do you get more channels with HD or just better reception and music data?

I am so confused:confused: :confused:

The big pushes are the ability to multicast (multiple channels multiplexed into one signal and the decoded in your radio) and the increased quality. I have heard it once and they were broadcasting two different channels of music, it was still in the testing phase and sounded comparable to satellite radio to me.

There are just not that many stations embracing the technology yet. Big expense for few listeners in my opinion. It is like when we brought the digital signals to television. We spent millions as a company so 5 or 6 people could see the programming in HD and there was very little programming in HD back then. Sure, now most have an HD set, but think back to 2002 when we brought our transmitters online and how many people did you know that even knew what digital TV was?

4OnFloor
12-20-2006, 04:38 PM
Found this info, some is specific for DFW area:

About 1,000 stations broadcast digitally. To start, most stations are simply offering a digital transmission of their FM programming. But more are also experimenting with new formats on secondary digital channels.

On an HD radio, KLUV's usual lineup of music from the 1960s and 1970s can be found at 98.7-1, the digital version of the station's 98.7 FM analog broadcast. Six weeks ago, the CBS-owned station launched another channel, 98.7-2, a digital broadcast dubbed The Fab Format. It is dedicated to playing music by The Beatles, including the group's biggest hits, covers by other artists, and solos by John, Paul, Ringo and George.

Clear Channel broadcasts five HD-2 stations in North Texas, as companions for its KZPS 92.5 classic rock station, its KEGL 97.1 regional Mexican station, its KDGE 102.1 alternative rock station, its KDMX 102.9 adult contemporary station, and its KHKS 106.1 pop station.

KEGL 97.1-2, for example, specializes in love songs, in Spanish and English, while KDGE 102.1-2 emphasizes new alternative music.

wingnut2u
12-22-2006, 04:26 PM
The $250 will be worth just to get love songs in spanish on 97.1-2. :clapping: