PDA

View Full Version : Trailer plug problem - help

marius
12-27-2006, 04:15 AM
Merry X-mass to all !

I bought a reverse light kit - White Night - and started to install it today. Got everything hooked up and nothing - no lights. Since I wired it to the trailer wiring harness, I started checking there. I have juice on all pins except the red wire 12V constant. The ground is good, I get power on turn signals, reverse, parking lights but not on the constant power 12V pin.

I checked all the fuzes and none or blown. I don't understand.

Has anybody experienced this ? Is this power lead connected under the hood somewhere or under the dash ? Where do I start checking and for what ?

Any help is appreciated ! Thanks.

Marius
03 H2 Pewter

f5fstop
12-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Did you check to see if there is a 40A fuse in the engine fuse block; position STUD #1 (right above the ABS).

tomp
12-27-2006, 05:14 PM
Like f5 said, you may need to add a fuse and not replace one. It is for trailer brakes and not installed OEM.

marius
12-27-2006, 05:19 PM
Where exactly do I look for the place to install a fuze ?
The brake controller works by activating the lever manually. I did not tow the trailer long enough before I stored it for the winter to gage if the electric brakes function as they should. I assumed that everything is ship shape. Apparently that is not the case ?
Are you saying that although the trailer plug is connected and has active lights the brake controller wires are not active because of a missing fuze ?

Marius

f5fstop
12-27-2006, 05:44 PM
Where exactly do I look for the place to install a fuze ?
The brake controller works by activating the lever manually. I did not tow the trailer long enough before I stored it for the winter to gage if the electric brakes function as they should. I assumed that everything is ship shape. Apparently that is not the case ?
Are you saying that although the trailer plug is connected and has active lights the brake controller wires are not active because of a missing fuze ?

Marius

This is the main power circuit, and sometimes they are shipped without a fuse to prevent any type of shorting, especially since not everyone uses the trailer harness.
Look under the hood for the underhood fuse block. Then look for the one called STUD 1, if there is NO fuse, install a 40A and you will then have power to the wire.
For futher instructions, look in your owner's manual under Fuses.
If a fuse is installed, you have other problems.

marius
12-27-2006, 05:50 PM
Got it. No fuse there.

I have to go buy one. Any ideas where I can find them ? Autoparts stores have them or is it a dealer item ?

Marius

f5fstop
12-27-2006, 05:55 PM
Any auto parts or service station should have the 40AM fuse

tomp
12-27-2006, 10:41 PM
Probably ought to size it to the light kit and not at 40A for safety reasons, unless you have trailer brake controller

f5fstop
12-28-2006, 12:38 AM
Probably ought to size it to the light kit and not at 40A for safety reasons, unless you have trailer brake controller

40A is the max for thi circuit, and is used to protect the wiring in the vehicle. I agree, but would suggest another inline fuse sized to whatever is required with the lights.

marius
12-28-2006, 01:28 AM
Done, thank you all. The fuse turned it all on. Works like a charm.
I really like the extra light , now the camera can see like in daylight.

Marius