PDA

View Full Version : Tough Cold Starting

leenigen
01-05-2007, 06:59 PM
I've got a 94 with a Jasper 6.2 L NA. Whenever it gets to be below 50 degrees or so its a real pain to start. I have to floor it and crank for a while before it'll fire. Then is starts with the huge cloud of smoke. Warm days are no problem and when I get the chance to plug it in there is no problem. The glow plugs and controler are all new so I know they're heating well. I've had a few other diesels that would start fine well into the 30s or even 20s. Any ideas what the probelm might be. I can't believe that's just the way it is.

ssgharkness020147
01-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Have you checked the fuses for the glowplug controler? Is the wait light coming on? If so for how long?

leenigen
01-05-2007, 11:04 PM
I think the controller is working okay. The light comes on for probably about 15-25 seconds. I have had other problems with the controller that may be related. It burnt up twice in the last year. The coil in the controler was shorting. When I ripped it apart to see there was black spot on the coil that smelled burnt. After the second time I checked the glow plugs and found two bad ones. After replacing all the plugs and controler, I haven't had a problem with it burning out since.

HUMTECH
01-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Low compression, cold advance not working, poor fuel quality just A few things you can check.