PDA

View Full Version : Speedo and Hypertech?(not the bathing suit)

H2 Doberman
01-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Has anyone had any problems with their speedometer and hypertech programmer. I had to recal. for the 38 inch tires and the mph will be off sometimes. It will be 20 +/- mph off. If I turn the truck off and let it sit and start it back up it will read fine. The truck is on 03 model if that helps any. For the most part it works fine all the time but every now and then it will be off. It is annoying because I don't know why it is doing it. Any help would be great!

timgco
01-08-2007, 05:34 PM
I've never had issues wth a Hypertech yet.... but have had two speedos replacecd. The issue I had the first time was the mph would stay down at ZERO or jump up to the top end and stay there. Than it eventually (not more than a week later) just died out alltogether. I bet your speedo is going bad. That whole guage cluster was replaced on my 03. They had to pull the whole cluster and send it in somewhere.

H2 Doberman
01-08-2007, 08:09 PM
I wondered if in might be the cluster. I notice that the needle will get lazy from time to time. It will jump from 40 to 45 instead of a constant climb. I'll keep an eye on it an see what happens.

Has anyone tried to take their lifted H2 in for service work?

timgco
01-08-2007, 08:51 PM
I wondered if in might be the cluster. I notice that the needle will get lazy from time to time. It will jump from 40 to 45 instead of a constant climb. I'll keep an eye on it an see what happens.

Has anyone tried to take their lifted H2 in for service work?

Yes, I have. No issues not covered under warranty due to the lift.

Before I even lifted mine, I talked with the Service Manage about warranty and the lift. He stated the lift has to casue the issue for a part not be under warranty. They have to prove the lift caused the issue(s). Before you take you rig into the dealer, undo your Hypertech. Are you still in warranty or under an extended warranty?

Your guage cluster will go out soon IMO. You may want to look into options now before you have no speedo at all. If you have a have a hand held GPS, you could always throw it in your truck to check on mph.

H2 Doberman
01-08-2007, 09:12 PM
I have an extended warranty! I haven't had to use it yet. I was just curious if anyone had any issues with the dealer and the lift so I could get an idea for what I was in for.

mrmayhem
01-09-2007, 04:36 AM
Sounds to me like the speedo stepper motor is on the way out. My 03 Avalanche (same cluster) had that prob.. the speedo would be a little off.. then as time went on.. it would jump around.. and sometimes read 0. After a restart it would work fine for a while. I thought 'old school' and figured something with a loose speedo cable.. but there are no more cables! all electronic.. I was out of warranty and dealer said something about 'stepper' motor (little electronic thingy in there).

tomp
01-09-2007, 05:19 AM
Bad cluster, probably not Hypertech

H2 Doberman
01-18-2007, 05:22 PM
I'm pretty sure that it is the stepper motor because now it is really jumpy when accelerating. How hard is it to remove the bezel around the cluster. I have taken several mustang clusters out but I don't want to go and start pulling on the dash and it be screwed down.

Does the bezel just pull loose with those crappy plastic clips that break half the time? Thinking of trying this cluster from ebay. Anyone have a better idea. I think my warranty has a 100 or 200 dollar deductible so I will just do it myself.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04-05-HUMMER-H2-SPEEDOMETER-INSTRUMENT-CLUSTER-PANEL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33675QQihZ017QQit emZ270060388906QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

DIRTYVEGAS
01-19-2007, 06:11 AM
hypertech has been awesome. No issues

H2 Doberman
01-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I love my hypertech also! Truck runs so much smoother to me. I was just asking if it might cause the speedo to do that. I wasn't aware there was a known issue with the cluster.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
01-23-2007, 10:41 AM
Had to have my cluster replaced on 05 model with just 9000 miles on it. I had been running hypertech most of the time and after new cluster continued to run hypertech. What ever adjustment to tire size worked as should just as it did till cluster went bad just out of the blue one day. I could tell I was going faster than speedo said I was. Dealer confirmed and changed it out. They knew I was running hypertech said very quickly it was not the programmer fault.

TAZ

H2 Doberman
01-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Thats good the dealer didn't give you a hard time. Has anyone changed a cluster out on their own?