PDA

View Full Version : Max towing weight

H2 Doberman
01-15-2007, 06:45 PM
What is the most weight that you have towed with your H2? The reason I'm asking is because I am thinking of getting a new boat and it would be around 6500 lbs. Do you think the H2 would pull that okay. I know it would be a strain on it. Would be with a tandon axle trailor. I have a 6 inch lift with 38's. I was thinking of 4:88's or larger. What do you guys think!

MONSTERMATT
01-15-2007, 08:03 PM
manual says 6500 lbs max trailer weight, im assuming the transmission would dick you if you exceeded that, but than again the manual is prolly playin it safe

Dug
01-15-2007, 08:35 PM
The most towed would prolly be around , 12 - 13 thousand lbs. But i have towed around a skid steer that weighs 9000 and 1500 lb trailer and it likes it. This is a pic of the machine i have towed sometimes.

Dug
01-15-2007, 08:37 PM
I would add that my towing is with all stock running gear and tires.

GusBros
02-04-2007, 10:29 PM
I just purchased an '04 H2 but before I did I read an article in an issue of "Powerboat" magazine. They pulled a Formula said to weigh 8000lbs with a stock "03 H2 and stated they had no problems on the Highway or at the ramp.
My boat weigh's in at around 9200 on the trailer, I'll let you know in March how it tows when I go to put the motors back in it......

drmiles
02-05-2007, 04:58 AM
I towed a 6800 dry weight trailer / 10,000 lb loaded. with lift and 38's. The truck struggled to pull the weight. Struggled to maintain 45 up hills and got about 6 mpg towing. Spent most of the time in 2nd gear. I would definetly go with the 4:88's, if you keep the 38's. With the stock 34's you'd do ok. Good luck.

What is the most weight that you have towed with your H2? The reason I'm asking is because I am thinking of getting a new boat and it would be around 6500 lbs. Do you think the H2 would pull that okay. I know it would be a strain on it. Would be with a tandon axle trailor. I have a 6 inch lift with 38's. I was thinking of 4:88's or larger. What do you guys think!

drmiles
02-05-2007, 05:00 AM
Of cours you could Super charge and resolve those problems. You'd still have to worry about the Transmission and the torque.

I towed a 6800 dry weight trailer / 10,000 lb loaded. with lift and 38's. The truck struggled to pull the weight. Struggled to maintain 45 up hills and got about 6 mpg towing. Spent most of the time in 2nd gear. I would definetly go with the 4:88's, if you keep the 38's. With the stock 34's you'd do ok. Good luck.

SoonerBoarder
02-07-2007, 02:07 AM
I have pulled a 24ft enclosed trailer. I don't know exactly how heavy it was but the way it was loaded made it very tongue heavy. It pulled, but was very uncomfortable. I have 37" tires.

I'm not at all impressed by the towing ability of the H2. Get ready to downshift a thousand times.

My boat is a Supra 22ft with a wakeboard tower. It weighs about 4500 with trailer but has a lot of wind resistance with the tower and tower cover. Constant downshifting. As long as you keep it around 50mph, it does fine.

WHOSNEXT
02-07-2007, 01:30 PM
I tow a 5500ibs boat and it tows it fine, I towed same boat with Tahoe last year and h2 is much better....... my truck does not down shift allot unless im going to pass. sooner, are you pushing the tow button?

ROX
02-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Yes, it will pull it. You'll appreciate the fact that the boat is level on tandem axels. The H2 will work hard and shift all the time and in warm weather watch your tranny temp. It's not a diesel pickup or anything but 6500 lbs isn't too bad, especially if your not towing it very far. Don't forget to add the weight of fuel, people, luggage and beer to the equation. Expect to spend the whole time in second gear when ascending any hills. (even little ones or a headwind) Larger tires only make it worse.

The towing button is helpful at first because it changes the shift points. Sometimes it keeps it in second when you want it to shift tho, so I just turn mine off most of the time.

My husband is on the boat forums a lot, and they have discussed the H2 and it's pulling capacity in detail. Basically, they're using Excursions and pickups and such but some folks pull smaller boats with them without any problem.

Have fun and post a pic of the boat behind your Hummer in some warm sunshiney weather please!

Here's a pic of the trailer I pull everywhere. How much it weighs depends on whats in it. I have pulled bigger things, but very rarely because we have another rig we can tow with.

H2 Doberman
02-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Hey guys, Just thought that I would let you know that I did purchase the boat but instead of dealing with towing issues I just leased a slip at the marina. Makes life alot easier:dancingbanana:

SoonerBoarder
02-08-2007, 08:12 AM
Yes, I always push the tow button when towing. I have a feeling the 37s have a lot to do with it. I may try sticking a set of oem on next time to check it.

As far as stability, it's excellent. Even with the very heavy enclosed trailer (about twice as big as H2 Rocks) there's virtually no sway. I can deal with the lack of power as long as there's no sway. I know it's no diesel but I really had expected more. Maybe I should try a set of 33s when towing. It'd look like poo but pull better.

Htothe2
02-08-2007, 10:46 PM
We used to have a seahunt victory 215 (21) ft. walkaround and it weighed about 5000. we would always tow it back and forth because its not to good to have your boat 24/7 in the water, u will have to get the bottom painted and it looks horrible after a while, the saltwater als harms the boat. just my 002

obzidian
02-12-2007, 03:35 PM
lets see some pics of that boat!!!

recently, we aquired a larson 37' cabrio. nice sport cruiser... was just out in the water this weekend crusing around 30 knotts at 6am-7am.... man do i love it!!

H2 Doberman
02-12-2007, 04:21 PM
I'll take some pics next time I go to the marina. All I have right now or just some generic pics from dealer site.

The wife and I stayed the night over the weekend and it was great. So peaceful out on the water. Heater worked great. Set it to 65 deg. and it kept it there all night. Did better than I thought it would. Generator didn't even make the gas hand move which is a good thing. I was worried about the fuel consumption running all night long. Ready for spring!!

obzidian
02-12-2007, 04:25 PM
do you shore power at your marina? I have stayed a few times on the boat over night... i will say the swaying of the boat is very relaxing and quite.... if you dont mind the occasional drunk guy yelling before falling in the water!!

but if you had shore power, you would just need to run that and not your generator. Though, these newer style generators are pretty efficient. congrates on the boat!!!

H2 Doberman
02-13-2007, 04:31 PM
Here are a couple of pics that I shot from the marina. You can't really tell what size the boat is from the picture. Its a 25 foot crownline. I think it is 27 foot overall with the swimplatform. I do have shorepower but we actually slept out in a cove so we had to run the generator.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y241/doberman150/b2.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y241/doberman150/b.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y241/doberman150/test032-1.jpg

h2 cape coral fl
02-16-2007, 03:25 PM
hey guys i pull a 28 ft chap. with twin 350's on a tri ax trailer, aprox 7500lbs

and have all around great towing with my 03 h2, went from a 05 z71 tahoe and let me tell you it was night and day, got to love the h2 !!

obzidian
02-16-2007, 04:28 PM
haven't towed with with the H2 yet, however, i also had a Z71 and the towing was pretty harsh in that truck/suv. Went from Miami Florida to CLinton Township, MI., in two days with my camaro on a two axle trailer in the Z71. The trailer was a rental and swayed a bit... but the truck was kinda stressed a bit pulling that load. Cars weighs about 4k and the trailer i have no idea.

Anyways, the boat looks great!! I love the smell of a new boat. Is this a lake only boat or do you have access to teh ocean where you are at in Georgia? HEy, what is that little billet looking thing mext to your spring line? A light? Also, im assuming your dock is AWESOME with that over canopy/roof. Wish i had that...

laterZ!

Sundown94
02-16-2007, 06:10 PM
I have towed a 33' powerboat with the gas tanks full. I estimate the weight to have been about 8,000lbs, and my truck did just fine. On the highway I got between 8 and 9 MPG, with the A/C on. It would definitely downshift going up any hill, and the steepest hill near my house caused it to downshift to 2nd, but that was the worst of it. I have tried to attach two pictures below. We'll see if I did it right. :)

h2 cape coral fl
02-16-2007, 06:28 PM
looks great, don't you just love going to the boat ramp with that set up!
i allways get eyed at the ramp and driving down the road. my h2 is yellow and my boat has the same collor yellow in it so it looks pretty cool, and they both get the job done (fun for the boat & work for the hummer, do you have the air lev system? i do and i would highly recomend it to anyone towing with a big load with the h2. it's been cold here in fl 50's and windy so i can't wait till it starts warming up. summer here i come....

ROX
02-17-2007, 07:05 AM
Excellent! That's a very nice boat! I've seen those Crownlines up close and they're very pretty. We have a 32 foot Tollycraft flybridge that we moore at Astoria, Oregon. We use it to salmon fish out of the mouth of the Columbia river.

If you ever need to pull yours, I'm sure your H2 will do fine. It's not like Georgia has any steep Mtn passes to go over. I spent some time in Lilburn when I was young(er). I run a stock tire size and it doesn't really matter what you pull, the H2 will shift into second for any pass. It learns your driving habits over long distance and sets up the tranny for different shift points. When you unhook the trailer, you feel like your in a race car for a while until it learns your new driving habits and drops the shift points back down to doggy normal. The air suspension is the bomb, too! It really helps with load leveling.

You're question on the thread was, "what is the max towing weight", not "can I tow my 25' boat with my H2".:)

Have fun! I hope the weather is nice. (but part of me hopes its not;) :D ) We're having downpouring rain showers followed by rain with some drizzel in between. truly a bummer.

H2 Doberman
02-17-2007, 03:02 PM
I asked what the max towing weight was because the truck didn't pull the 20 foot bowrider that I had very well. Thanks for all the compliments on the boat. First time I have left one at the marina and I must say that it is way better than towing to the lake everytime. Just walk down the dock and go.

I think the billet piece that you see is the fuel cap.

Sounds like a nice boat H2 Rocks!! My next boat is going to have a flybridge. We don't have access to the ocean here in atlanta,GA. Lake Lanier is big enough!