PDA

View Full Version : roof rack rattle...

Yetti
04-25-2004, 10:58 AM
I was getting a rattle from the roof rack , and found the mounts were VERY loose, I was washing it yesterday and when I stuck my hand under the tube it lifted up at least a 1/2". I opened the end cap and found the bolts ready to fall out. so after tightening the one end I checked the rest and found 6 of the 8 bolts loose.
anyone else having this trouble?

Yetti
I was getting a rattle from the roof rack , and found the mounts were VERY loose, I was washing it yesterday and when I stuck my hand under the tube it lifted up at least a 1/2". I opened the end cap and found the bolts ready to fall out. so after tightening the one end I checked the rest and found 6 of the 8 bolts loose.

Yetti

TouchdownTN
04-26-2004, 03:17 AM
I also had this same problem. I tightened the bolts back down and so far so good. When I took the H2 in for some warranty work, the mechanics said that they noticed a noise coming from the rack and moved the crossbars to a different position to cure it! I thought it was pretty bad that the bolts aren't installed any better that they were or at lease put something on them to keep them from just falling off as mine were close to doing.

HGW
04-26-2004, 03:55 PM
I had the same problem and know of two other H2 owners who had the same problem.

They either work loose due to the design or every dealer needs to have a better person install them---I think they are all installed by the selling dealer.

partsguy
04-26-2004, 05:53 PM
there is a bulletin from gm to dealers
that said"reports are being received on customer complaints of roof rack rattles.
The cause of this condition is the cross bar mounting screws on the passenger side are loose.
they are intentionally left loose upone shipping
to allow for necessary adjustment upon insatallation of the roof rack assembly at the dealership tight screws to 4.5 Nm
date released 03/10/04

partsguy
04-26-2004, 06:27 PM
your bulletin sound too close to COMMON SENCE.
point well taken

Yetti
04-26-2004, 09:59 PM
its amazing what simple things elude folks. I used to work at good sized Chevy dealer, it was pretty good about seeing the "prep" to the end. I always though the rest of the dealers did as good a job as we did, if not better...

H2 Bill
04-29-2004, 05:09 PM
I hope that that is the fix on mine too! I moved it yesterday and I will let you know if it worked for me....this has been driving me nuts for 6 months now! I hope that thanks are in order for you!!

Yetti
04-30-2004, 08:45 PM
H2 Bill,
I hope the fix works on yours! I know mine is doing fine and up to this point no other noises.

H2 Bill
04-30-2004, 09:35 PM
Yetti, thanks. Do you have the sunroof? Mine almost seems like it was the track or mechanism of the sunroof that was making the rattle. Some times when I would put it in the pop up position it would stop the rattle too.

Yetti
05-01-2004, 09:29 AM
NO H2 Bill,I do not have a sun roof(I can't sit up straight with one). I wonder if the roof buckles a little(or un buckles) when the glass is deployed? it could be what changed the rattle and why it went away when the glass was popped up.

It\'s a Dry Heat
05-01-2004, 02:45 PM
happened to mine also, passinger side,found while washing. might have been sense new. had dealer tighten up.