PDA

View Full Version : GPS suggestions

Markee
01-22-2007, 03:12 AM
I need to add a GPS to my H1. I have a small laptop with an MS GPS unit. It works very nice on other cars. But in my H1 it does not because of the windshield design. Can anyone suggest an aftermarket GPS for an H1 that works well for you?

Vettster
01-22-2007, 06:01 AM
I need to add a GPS to my H1. I have a small laptop with an MS GPS unit. It works very nice on other cars. But in my H1 it does not because of the windshield design. Can anyone suggest an aftermarket GPS for an H1 that works well for you?

Garmin, Garmin, Garmin.

I have 6 differnt Garmin units and can honestly say that they are the best!

My favorite is my 276C. You can load maps from the U.S. or just about anywhere else in the world. It has autorouting capabilities too. It also works great in the boat.
I use mine on both of my motorcycles, in the H2 and on the boat.

And Garmin customer service absouloutly rocks! On the rare occasions that I have had problems, they have overnighted me stuff from Kansas to Mexico!

ssgharkness020147
01-22-2007, 06:28 AM
I've got a Lowrance Iway 500C. Solid unit, very reliable, accurate, and easy to install. A big bonus is that its got an MP3 player built in too. Once I feel like putting my truck back together I'll post a pic of my install.

Markee
01-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Vettster, The Garmin looks like a pretty nice unit and it supports an external antenna if it's needed. One question about it though. When planning a route how would you enter in an address? Does it offer touch screen keyboard? Or do you have to use the arrows to select the letters and numbers of the address?

Vettster
01-22-2007, 04:32 PM
Vettster, The Garmin looks like a pretty nice unit and it supports an external antenna if it's needed. One question about it though. When planning a route how would you enter in an address? Does it offer touch screen keyboard? Or do you have to use the arrows to select the letters and numbers of the address?

No touch screen. You have to use the arrows.
You can add the external antenna. I havent had to in my H2, but the H1 has a flatter windshield. YMMV.

You can also get on the computer and plan/make routes in Mapsource. These can then be downloaded into the unit.

ssgharkness020147
01-22-2007, 05:55 PM
You will need an external antenna in an the H1

ZigsRig
01-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Garmin IMO is the best bang for your buck! Especially for a GPS only unit...

However, there are a lot more functions you can utilize if you use a laptop and the correct NAV software!

Markee
01-22-2007, 09:29 PM
If I have to hook up a laptop to it then I may as well just buy an external antenna for the MS GPS. It is software based and works very well. Since it's on a laptop you can type in your route. I found an external waterproof antenna at www.gpsstore.com for $70. It's got a rubber bottom with a magnet.

I have a Toshiba Liberetto laptop with a 7 in screen that I'll see if I can mount up on the dash. If not I have another laptop that fits real nice in front of the glove box. I'll order this external antenna and play with it a bit.

Vettster
01-22-2007, 10:16 PM
You don't have to hook up a laptop. You can route from the unit itself.

mikejr
01-23-2007, 03:38 AM
I use a Garmin GPSMAP 60CS in my H2. I also have a Dell laptop with a Delorme GPS package on it in my truck with a Jotto Desk set up to hold the laptop. Both work equally well. I like the handheld unit as we are also into the sport of Geocaching.

wpage
02-11-2007, 12:57 AM
Garmin they are best and they give free software loads off the net...:beerchug:

Hunner
02-11-2007, 07:07 PM
I have the DeLorme hocky puck on the dash of my H3 and it works well. Look at Garmin's line of marine antenna. They will mount on rails or have several options to mount on standard marine ant mounts that you could bolt on outside the vehicle. May be a plate off the grill guard. I have two boats that have the external ant and they work and hold up in salt water and sun. Let us know what you come up with.

Hunner
02-11-2007, 07:17 PM
That little mushroom on the far side is one. I used the nylon mount that ratchets and locks at many angles. Check with Garmin on cable adapters. The data from this unit will provide your computer software with GPS like the mushroom DeLorme. Call them, they are real people!

Markee
02-12-2007, 08:59 AM
I have the DeLorme hocky puck on the dash of my H3 and it works well. Look at Garmin's line of marine antenna. They will mount on rails or have several options to mount on standard marine ant mounts that you could bolt on outside the vehicle. May be a plate off the grill guard. I have two boats that have the external ant and they work and hold up in salt water and sun. Let us know what you come up with.

I have to say you have a nice setup there. I really do like using my laptop over the smaller units. It just has so many more options.

Now to another question. What's the camera for? I have been thinking of mounting a small digital video camra in my dash to watch out front. I was thinking I could get some really great videos of people doing stupid stuff while looking at the H1 limo. I also will be installing a set of very loud air horns on it. I have them on another SUV of mine and I love the hell out of them. They are so load that if you stand in front of my SUV 10 feet in front you can feel the percussion of them. It makes for some great entertainment and it also indicates to everyone to get the hell out of the way if they cut me off or whatever.

Just saw your camera and was interested. :)

Hunner
02-12-2007, 05:37 PM
I like it to record on the fly of trails we run. Two other guys set there's up outside and we get some great fun stuff to watch. I also use mine with the mapping to tape Hunting club boundries and farm fence lines and oil and gas leases. Got to pay for these toys somehow.