PDA

View Full Version : Heavy loads and tire pressure

Markee
01-22-2007, 03:23 AM
My H1 has been modified into a 34 foot limo. With it being a limo it now weighs 15,500 pounds empty. With passengers it can weigh as much as 19,000 pounds. The manual states pressures that are all under 40 pounds. Even for when you are carrying a load. This of course is way beyond any weights that they could have imagined.

When I set the pressure at about 45 pounds cold I get good action with the tires. What I mean by that is that I can easily turn the steering wheel. I don't have to flex my muscle to turn the wheel at slow speeds. But when on the highway the pressure goes up to beyond the max on the gauge. It only goes up to 50 pounds and the pins go well beyond that.

So by running at higher pressures am I putting the air system at risk for a blowout of one of the air hoses? My rear tires state they are good at 55 pounds cold and the front is 65 pounds cold. So I don't think it will be an issue for the tires. But I do worry about the air system and certainly don't want to run into any issues when I have passengers.

Anyone have any ideas or comments?

ssgharkness020147
01-22-2007, 06:32 AM
I dont know what the CTIS lines themselves are rated for. If you are concerned about it I would suggest that you disable it all together.

lennyrebel
01-22-2007, 07:34 AM
I don't think it is possible to find valves or air hose rated for less than 250 psi. What is the gross load your tire are rated at, I know they will survive hi loads at there top press. alot better.With my 02 Avalanche I pulled a 36 foot chriscraft up a ramp and to my sons home . Total weight truck 6000 boat 15000 and trailer 4000. I got home alright but a week later first tire blows out. Broken belts. 3 days later 2nd tire broken belts. A week later 3rd tire had steel sticking out sidewall. Goodyear wranglers 265X17. Good year sold me new tires at 50% but demanded old tires be sent to factory. I guess they didn't want to start a firestone thing. Anyway size your tires for the job and keep your pressures up Regards The Rebel:)

Markee
01-22-2007, 04:07 PM
ssgharkness020147, Disabling the system may be the answer. I had not thought of that. Sometimes you miss the simplest answers. :)

lennyrebel, The tires in the front are rated at 6400 pounds and the back at 5500 pounds each. So I'm not exceeding the total suggested weight. It's interesting about the tires you ruined and that fact that they did not just blow out right away.