PDA

View Full Version : Service 4WD Light

The Ledge
01-22-2007, 02:16 PM
I have done a search and came up with no matches on my Title Topic so here goes - I have a 2005 H2 with 31k miles. Do no off roading per say and have used my 4WD Hi and Low only for winter snow road conditions. I'm still covered under the MFG's warranty and hoping its just a sensor/cable issue. Has anyone had a similar issue that was not a sensor problem and if so, what was the extent of your damage/repair? Thanks in advance.

EricH3
01-22-2007, 04:11 PM
Had the same warning on my '03 H2 at around 34k miles. Dealer replaced the "4WD Encoder Motor" (whatever that is) under warranty. No problems since.

The Ledge
01-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Thank you. Just called my dealer to schedule an appointment today and he mentioned the exact part that was probably the culprit and added was a known problem/fix with GM.

MDimitri
01-22-2007, 05:18 PM
You could always try the following:

The most common problem with these systems is an encoder failure. This means the computer module that controls and monitors the 4WD shifting motor doesn't know where it is. The computer needs to know the location of the shifting motor to perform correctly. If the computer loses location information it stops responding. Diagnostic codes can be extracted but, because you have not used your 4WD much it may be all that you have to do is to clear the computer so it can start over. Turn the ignition switch off and remove the fuse marked T-case (it should be a 20 amp fuse). Wait a minimum of 3 minutes then replace the fuse. Once the fuse is replaced turn the ignition switch on & off 5 times. Then start the engine and push the 4 Wheel HI button. If the system starts working, great. Be sure to exercise the 4WD system regularly to prevent a reoccurrence. If the problem returns then you need a technician familiar with the 4WD system to get into some troubleshooting.

Cheers!