PDA

View Full Version : DUB Air

IlikeHummers
01-29-2007, 11:41 PM
Has anyone tried the Dub Air CAI? They claim there filter is designed better because of a funnel ram and velocity stack. I don't want to sound ignorant but... can someone help me here? I see that the top of the filter is cone shaped inward instead of flat like my old K&N on my Chevy. What does that do?

IlikeHummers
01-30-2007, 12:01 AM
Well I guess I'm in too much of a hurry so I ordered one and will be installing it this week... I hope it's everything they say it is.. Next mod exhaust. Any recommendations?

DRTYFN
01-30-2007, 12:17 AM
http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=68773

IlikeHummers
01-30-2007, 01:07 AM
Thanks, more seaching less questions... Got it...

HUM GOOD
01-30-2007, 03:11 AM
Well I guess I'm in too much of a hurry so I ordered one and will be installing it this week... I hope it's everything they say it is.. Next mod exhaust. Any recommendations?

I ran a catback Borla set up......also borla short headers. The sounds is very quiet on the highway and screams when you step into it. I went to a friends shop and install it on his lift. Time was about 2.3 hours. Very simple. The performance wasn't much...just sounds badass. After K&N cold intake, Granatelli MAF sensor, & Granatelli power tune - now it doesnt only sound mean, it is mean.

Here's a linky to borla http://www.borla.com/applications/lookup.aspx/2005/Hummer/H2/
Here's a linky on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Borla-Exhaust-System-Hummer-H2-2003-06-03-04-05-06_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33630QQihZ003QQitemZ 130073127985QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Here's a pic from behind showing the dual tips out the back.

JDLarue
01-30-2007, 09:30 AM
What is the Granatelli power tune and what does it do for you? I just bought the MAF but I haven't installed it yet. Just curious, haven't heard of the power tune.

IlikeHummers
02-01-2007, 12:31 AM
Got a lot done on my day off and got the Dub air installed, looks pretty sweet and really easy to install. I ordered it on monday and got it this morning. I thought no way, could I get that lucky to get it on my day off. Sure enough it came and it's on. I really like the way it sounds not too loud but you definitely hear a roar.. Check it out.

HummBob
02-01-2007, 02:20 AM
Looks GOOD!!!! Congrats!!

HummBob
02-01-2007, 02:21 AM
BTW, I really like my Magnaflow exhaust!! Awesome ROAR without drowing out the cabin with noise!!!

IlikeHummers
02-01-2007, 06:48 PM
[QUOTE=HUM GOOD]I ran a catback Borla set up......also borla short headers. The sounds is very quiet on the highway and screams when you step into it. I went to a friends shop and install it on his lift. Time was about 2.3 hours. Very simple. The performance wasn't much...just sounds badass. After K&N cold intake, Granatelli MAF sensor, & Granatelli power tune - now it doesnt only sound mean, it is mean.

Thanks for the info looks like a nice exhaust system. Is there a lot of drone in the cabin? or is it pretty mellow at crusing? Also is the Granitelli tune similar to superchips or hypertech? I was looking at the Zoomers exhaust because it's a true dual system with an X-pipe. I heard them at my dealer and I really liked the sound. Has anybody got this set-up?

Linky: http://www.zoomersexhaust.com/truck_suv_cat-back_hummer.asp

I may pull the trigger this weekend it really looks like a well built system really different than anything else out there.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
02-01-2007, 11:59 PM
[QUOTE=IlikeHummers][QUOTE=HUM GOOD]I ran a catback Borla set up......also borla short headers. The sounds is very quiet on the highway and screams when you step into it. I went to a friends shop and install it on his lift. Time was about 2.3 hours. Very simple. The performance wasn't much...just sounds badass. After K&N cold intake, Granatelli MAF sensor, & Granatelli power tune - now it doesnt only sound mean, it is mean.

Thanks for the info looks like a nice exhaust system. Is there a lot of drone in the cabin? or is it pretty mellow at crusing? Also is the Granitelli tune similar to superchips or hypertech? I was looking at the Zoomers exhaust because it's a true dual system with an X-pipe. I heard them at my dealer and I really liked the sound. Has anybody got this set-up?

Can you get system with headers and catbacks? If you are just buying a dual exhaust system You could most likely have a performance exhaust shop make duals for less using 2 Flowmasters set side by side on edge running on right side where factory is. Run 3" to mufflers and 2 1/2" going out and over axle. I run the loudest flowmaster mufflers which are super 40's and it sounds like it will eat everything alive at idle. But, i had exhaust tips run in stock location all the way out the back but tucked up high pointing slightly down like factory so the heavy reverb goes on out back instead of coming inside which will turn your insides to jelly. Flowmaster has regular 40's and then quieter 50's. As long as i drive around normal it has a really deep sound which is hard to hear with the other 2 mufflers unless windows are cracked but, heard inside with windows up on super 40's and sounds just right to me, like old muscle car days. When you romp on it just a little everyone looks.

If You are wanting catback system spend the money on Dynatech long tube headers with catbacks all stainless steel. Then have shop install them and do the above suggested exhaust setup out the back instead of a premade that will most likely be clamped and leak later. With the hand built unit it will be welded and not likely to vibrate loose and rattle. The long tube header will help your lowend. You have the increased air flow now but, will do little good if you do not do something to get the exhaust away from engine.

If you are wondering if you need aftermarket catbacks ask your exhaust shop to torch a hole in pipe just in front of catbacks from factory and he should have a gauge and tube that he can stick in the whole and start engine and read back pressure from factory catbacks. You should be able to call maker of what ever catback you would like to buy and ask them for the number their unit reads on back pressure in front of their cats. Keep in mind the numbers need to be apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Number should be either from both cats reading with stock exhaust manifolds or both with same brand headers. Long tube headers will read differently than short tube headers.

For tuning just get a handheld tuner. It will tune and change speedo to match any tire change. You can tune to use different octane.

If You want a granitelli MAF make sure You get one already cold air calibrated or you will be wasting your money. I have my engine loaded up and still use factory MAF. It does just fine and that is checking it with laptop tuning software. It has enough range and sensitivity to work with system until You start going over 5 or 6 lbs. of boost. Then you have to use 2 bar density software which just let's you remove MAF and tell computer the air flow you want it to think it is getting as a MAF is not made to read with boost once it starts getting over 5 to 7 lbs. When i'm running a 10 lb. boost pulley the MAF is just going nuts so it requires a more special tuning software and then 3 bar density when we push boost to 18 lbs. and especially if we go to 20 lbs. of boost.

Any questions PM me. What i'm working on to get many people to understand not this forum in particular as many already know this but, do not change things without knowing in what order to do it and for what reason you should do it for. Having a stock system and adding a Granitelli MAF will not do much. I know because I tried it and learned a good number of years ago with My screaming 99 Silverado that You have to spend the hard earned dollars on the right stuff for the right reason.

One of the first things You should get is a handheld programmer to add power that stock system will handle but, mainly You can adjust shift points and firmness on tranny. You can adjust speedo if You decide to go with bigger tires or raise the redline limiter on tach. It is the tool that will give You the most use and then the next thing like exhaust will benefit from already having tuner in Your pocket.
Good Luck!!

TAZ

IlikeHummers
02-02-2007, 12:09 AM
I've had superchips on my old Avalanche so I know how it works and your right it didn't seem to do much except change the shift point and all that you mentioned. So your saying exhaust is the next logical step? Intake , exhaust and programmer, in that order? I don't think I want to mess with headers seems like a lot of work...But with those 3 mods I should see some performance, Right?

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
02-02-2007, 01:31 AM
I've had superchips on my old Avalanche so I know how it works and your right it didn't seem to do much except change the shift point and all that you mentioned. So your saying exhaust is the next logical step? Intake , exhaust and programmer, in that order? I don't think I want to mess with headers seems like a lot of work...But with those 3 mods I should see some performance, Right?

It would be Ok to do the exhaust next. But, the tuner will show you more of what it can do with the heavy H2. You should see performance with these mods but, do not get expectations to high and wait and see what happens be surprised. Leaving the headers out will hurt the overall picture but hopefully not to much.

I went with intake, tuner, and headers with catback exhaust out the back. The tuner should show You more response on the H2 because it is so heavy, It will increase HP but, more importantly the tuner will increase torque which is what you need to pull boats and just get the ride to take off quicker.

Changing headers You raise front end a little so you can take front wheels off. Jackstands please! You will need to remove the rock guards on bottom. Remove the inner fender liner which have those snap out and in buttons. You will have an open view of exhaust manifolds. Remove spark plugs so you do not break them. Unbolt the manifolds and install the headers. We had 2 guys one on each side and they did the header, catback system, and custom exhaust bullt in 3 hours. They installed all that along with a 160 degree thermostat.

TAZ

HUM GOOD
02-02-2007, 02:53 AM
What is the Granatelli power tune and what does it do for you? I just bought the MAF but I haven't installed it yet. Just curious, haven't heard of the power tune.

the MAF isnt worth much without the tuner...I see that you already have a Hypertech...Granatelli is the same concept http://www.trucknvans.com/GMS_Diablo_Sport_Predator_Flash_Tuner_Hummer_H2_p/990917.htm

Before you install the MAF, make sure, if your running a cold air intake, that it is for a cold air intake. If you read more above from TAZ, he explains things very well. I have take lots of his advise and the rewards have been very satisfying.....Thanks TAZ:beerchug:

HUM GOOD
02-02-2007, 03:06 AM
[quote=HUM GOOD]I ran a catback Borla set up......also borla short headers. The sounds is very quiet on the highway and screams when you step into it. I went to a friends shop and install it on his lift. Time was about 2.3 hours. Very simple. The performance wasn't much...just sounds badass. After K&N cold intake, Granatelli MAF sensor, & Granatelli power tune - now it doesnt only sound mean, it is mean.

I may pull the trigger this weekend it really looks like a well built system really different than anything else out there.

Granatelli very similar to hypertech.......they are handheld tuners.

As for cabin noise......more noise from the K&N cold air intake than the exhaust. Doesn't seem loud in the cabin at all. The design is meant to throw noise out the back. I had a friend run down the street for to here the way it sounded. Much louder on the outside than I expected. Considering how it sounds from in the rig.

IlikeHummers
02-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks for your help on this guys, I think I'm going to get the Zoomers cat-back and the Hypertech tuner. I'll let you know how it comes out.. Zoomers says they can do both for me install the exhaust and run thru the tuner procedure. They seem like nice guys over there and can take me tomorrow for the installation. I was going to try it myself but for $100.00 bucks for both it's not worth killing myself...Bad Back! $999.00 for the exhaust and $339.00 for the tuner, seems like a good deal...

HUM GOOD
02-03-2007, 04:02 AM
Thanks for your help on this guys, I think I'm going to get the Zoomers cat-back and the Hypertech tuner. I'll let you know how it comes out.. Zoomers says they can do both for me install the exhaust and run thru the tuner procedure. They seem like nice guys over there and can take me tomorrow for the installation. I was going to try it myself but for $100.00 bucks for both it's not worth killing myself...Bad Back! $999.00 for the exhaust and $339.00 for the tuner, seems like a good deal...

Let us know the results......:excited:

IlikeHummers
02-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Let us know the results......:excited:

Here's my review: http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=361498#post361498

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
02-12-2007, 09:42 AM
If the K&N is loud which is what i use to run, wait till you hook a supercharger to any cold air intake. It get's real noisy at WOT so turn the music up loud unless using factory intake not so bad. Then again it takes the fun out of it because the people in lane next to you hear it too.

It is the coolest sound you can here. I cannot imagine what it will sound like at 20 lbs. of boost versus 10 lbs.. Dragon and I run a custom made cold air intake we redesigned to fit engine compartment which will change when we do away with the MAF completely and try to fit methanol inj. and co2 tanks under hood. We are running out of room so I'm looking at mounting a high flow air filter right on throttle body so that is one reason we went to reverse cowl hood so it would suck co2 spray out quickly as if it goes in air intake it will choke engine down. So another adaptation to hood maybe a vain catching air from radiator up and over engine which would catch heat from radiator and take it out. This is a good thing but, have a second vain farther back behind the throttle body to take engine heat out the hood which is another good thing but, I'm thinking not needed once we feed co2 spray past throttle body. This would allow colder air to intake if filter has to be mounted to throttle body but, most likely we can bend a tube to go over into or near right front of engine bay away from co2. the the vains would not be need but, sounds to cool to not do though. Well ideas are what makes the world go round now a days. It got us to the moon at least. LOL

So a few details to work out yet with placement of things. co2 tanks i'm thinking twin chromed mounted in back with all the high tech sound equipment, one on each side. I like to keep a balanced look easy to reach to refill and use chrome braided tubing to run up front. The only thing not needed to make is the hoop to hang in front of SC aftercooler as a few companies make them already but for nitrous use on air to air which nitrous is to cold for water aftercooler nitrous will freeze the lines. That should leave room for one tank under hood for methanol inj. tank. It needs to be closer being gravity feed not pressurized like co2 tanks. I have come up with idea of using nitrous bottles for co2 and making a screw on top for meth inj. tank since it is not under pressure just plumbed for flow out and then bypass if engine is not using all it is getting like fuel inj. just allot simpler. Just micro switchs on throttle body to open valves at WOT or can be set for earlier if wanted to help with less pedal as far as meth.inj. is concerned. You just have to have a stored tune that you can switch to for earlier inj. spray with less fuel.

Well love this stuff and say to many sorry guys and gals. But, just hope I pass stuff along that helps somebody and at least it can be found in a search of archives. But, I really hope if anyone reads what i'm discussing and has other ideas they will share them with me. I love to learn and many many know more than i do about all this stuff. I'm self taught from reading, studying tuning maps from sponsor as well as only one maybe 2 other tuners aroud here i would trust, what Dragon knows which is allot, Allen Nelson and some other really good setup guys. So please anyone that has even read something that is interesting let me know about it. There are new concepts coming out all the time. Just not many people look at the H2 like i do and what they have will not work because of the weight factor but, sometimes i can adjust the concept. So really anyone jump in with ideas. My Grandad told me the only stupid question is the one you do not ask so i'm asking for any ideas or thoughts. I know some of you guys on here are scientists maybe rocket scientists. We'll strap a rocket to the butt of the thing if it will get me good times at the trap runs late this year.
Thanks for all of your patients. Many know the serious struggles i have fought in my life last 3 years especially health wise and i think about the people who have always keep check on me all the time and count the forum as the long lost cousin but, still family I just have not gotten a big money handout because the cousin is filthy rich. Well money is not everything it just keeps the lights, water, gas, food, kids in college, and well you get the idea. LOL

TAZ

Granatelli very similar to hypertech.......they are handheld tuners.

As for cabin noise......more noise from the K&N cold air intake than the exhaust. Doesn't seem loud in the cabin at all. The design is meant to throw noise out the back. I had a friend run down the street for to here the way it sounded. Much louder on the outside than I expected. Considering how it sounds from in the rig.[/QUOTE]