PDA

View Full Version : CHECK AIR SUSPENSION!!!!

orlasttoy
02-05-2007, 06:39 PM
warning came on this morning...

1st REAL cold morning this year...cold have something to do with it?

i drove for an hour...warning was gone after restarting.

Should I worry/bring it in to dealer? No ass-saggin' yet!

MarineHawk
02-05-2007, 06:49 PM
warning came on this morning...

1st REAL cold morning this year...cold have something to do with it?

i drove for an hour...warning was gone after restarting.

Should I worry/bring it in to dealer? No ass-saggin' yet!

I wouldn't worry about that one. The other day, I had a warning light come on that said "Get out of the vehicle, NOW!!!" That one made me a little nervous.

mdoyle
02-05-2007, 09:07 PM
I've been through the air suspension woes with mine. It was intermittant and ended up being the air bags were dry rotted.

One thing I've wondered about is condensation and how the compressor system handles that. It could be an issue with freezing if condensate accumulated in the lines or valves.

Keep an eye on it, if you start noticing your compressor cycling for no reason then it's time to get it checked out. It's a lot easier to replace the air bags when needed, then to burn up a compressor by waiting too long.

Diceman
02-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Thas why I am GLAD I didn't get the air system...IMO nothing but troubles...:rant:

Easy Ed
02-06-2007, 12:13 AM
-6 this morning and my "service air suspension" came on during the ride to work. Lunch time it was 8 out and the warning was off. Damn near ordered the coil springs this morning.............

frenzy1
02-06-2007, 07:39 AM
I had the same warning a couple of weeks ago. It appeared once and then after a couple of days again. No cold weather over here. Gonna have my dealer check it out next time I go for maintenance.

frenzy
Belgium

orlasttoy
02-07-2007, 04:22 AM
yeah im thinkin if/when they do sh!t the bed, i might go coils as well...

havent really "needed" the air...will i notice a difference?

Easy Ed
02-08-2007, 01:16 AM
Warning came back on, ass end is like a dog dragging its ass on carpet. Ordered the coil springs and isolators tonight and will have them Saturday or Monday for a few hours of fun..........

AK47
02-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Dont worry about it i get down to minus 30 over here and some morning the compressor is screaming , then you get the warning light once all heats up its fine .:jump:

Easy Ed
02-09-2007, 01:59 AM
While waiting for the coil springs to come and being tired of riding on the bump stops to and from work (60 miles total) I...............

(1) pulled the compressor and leveling sensors out completly and
(2) made the air springs like air shocks.

For $6.00 I bought a stainless steel 1/8" T and spliced it into the following lines, one each to the air springs and one to the air fitting in the rear of the truck that was normally used to fill tires/toys. Now that fitting is used to fill the air springs to the desired pressure. I have approx 65 PSI in them and the truck sets up high.

This should carry me over till the coils show up, hell, I just might wait till summer gets here to change them out.

Just one question, how does a person get the "service air suspension" warning to turn off now ? figured that with the suspension module removed that it wouldn't come back on....wrong

Easy Ed
02-12-2007, 02:47 AM
Screw having the air ride, went with the coils, no more "Service Air Suspension" warnings in my life :) Did get a little carried away taking it apart :dancingbanana:

Easy Ed
02-12-2007, 02:54 AM
P.S. I think this may have been the problem. would have changed it if I knew it was stuck up and under the drivers rear fenderwell ;) Restricted air flow to the compressor, caused it to heat up and shut down til the next start up and then all over again.

obzidian
02-12-2007, 03:30 PM
is that the filter for the compressor... question.... did you see any kind of a accumilator, like a catch-can, on the compressor?

Easy Ed
02-12-2007, 08:23 PM
yup, That is the inlet air filter :-(

Not sure if it is called a accumulator or not but that may be it in the center of the pic towards the bottom. (black canister)

Later, Ed

obzidian
02-13-2007, 12:13 AM
hmmm.. could be. GOD, how long did you have that system in the truck.. bascially, what year is your truck?

because that is pretty nasty for short use..

Easy Ed
02-13-2007, 12:19 AM
2003 with 60,000 miles......and new coil springs :-)

H2 BULLY
02-13-2007, 02:37 AM
Where did you order your coil springs and stuff from. How much was it to install? Any pics?

Easy Ed
02-13-2007, 03:23 AM
Installed myself. Got to raise the frame up enough that the rear axle will hang high enough when supported by a floor jack to remove the two lower shock mounted and the two upper sway bar to frame mounts. Now lower the floor jack and there will be plenty of room to remove to air springs. Caution must be used here, if you cut the two air lines things tend to do weird sh!t, just be careful. The air spring has a anti rotation catch on top that when push down will allow you to turn the spring and remove it. The new coils come in a left and right spring with both needing to be "up". To me and the way I installed mine was that the drivers side of the truck is the LEFT side. Read some of the descriptions in the service manual to find out. The job for putting in the coils took about a hour.

The work of removing ALL compressor related parts, wires, sensors, plugs and even the ride height button took the rest of my weekend tracing wires was the hard part but I am so OCD that I wanted it all gone :).

Cost of the springs were $80.59 each (one left.one right) and also need four Insulators at $5.72 each for a grand total of $184.06.....now the killer I told them I needed them Saturday and that was a extra cost of $145.06 for next day DHL.

Call Scott at 253-474-9242

obzidian
02-13-2007, 03:33 AM
looks good, im assuming those are stock h2 springs..

Easy Ed
02-13-2007, 03:42 AM
That would be correct on the springs being OEM

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
02-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Since I do not off road this will be a dumb question to some. but, I have ridden in air and coil rear springs and prefer the air ride by a huge margin.

Is the problem with air springs mainly due to off roading? I loved the adding the t to the lines so they could be filled like old air shocks. I'm going to put a t in truck just in case. Was the complete pump unit remove to be able to get to the lines for t or could it be done someplace easy enough with pump still mounted.

The pump unit is easy enough to take down but, just curious about alternate location.

Would like comments on air versus spring as a friend bought a 04 right before i bought 05 and he had springs and he fussed everytime he got in my airride over his springs.
THANKS

TAZ

Easy Ed
02-13-2007, 11:41 AM
TAZ, Loved the air ride but I just got tired of the wondering when it would fail again. I have have two level sensors replaced and one air spring replaced due to the dealership not knowing how to collapse the spring before lowering a frame lift and let the suspension hang down causing the spring to fully extended and blow out in my garage scaring the sh!t out of the wife and I, there was a post of mine on that one. Now this last problem of a "I think" plugged filter that is not shown in the service manual to have given me a idea to look into as a possible cause. Not that it really mattered because I already had my mind made up that the coil were going in.

Because the two lines "meet in the middle" above the compressor I would say that has to be the easiest place to splice into it. I raised the back up to where from gound up to fender flare was 43.75 and just gave me enough room to get out of the garage. Plus, there may be a little more work in doing that because the compressor would still be in use but I am sure TAZ you can figure it all out.

Thanks, Ed

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
02-14-2007, 08:21 AM
Thanks Easy for the info. Also I appreciate you letting us know about the filter situation. I would not have thought of looking for it. So You did many a favor.

TAZ

Boston Hummer
02-28-2007, 01:11 AM
I got air ride and would rather have coils and add a truxxx lift, is there a DIY on coil swap for air ?

vlxjim
02-28-2007, 04:00 AM
Did you need to use a spring compressor? I'm thinking of puting in air bags and need to cut the hole in the top rubber disk bigger.

http://www.truckspring.com/VSearchResults2.aspx?cID=741

or

http://www.truckspring.com/VSearchResults2.aspx?cID=740

BKLYNH2
05-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Ok so besides swapping out the air bags for coils and rip out the whole air system.

Can the air system be left to operate the inflator only and not the suspension?

If so how is it done and can it be done without having a service air suspension warning on for eternity?

timgco
12-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Ok so besides swapping out the air bags for coils and rip out the whole air system.

Can the air system be left to operate the inflator only and not the suspension?

If so how is it done and can it be done without having a service air suspension warning on for eternity?

BUMP! Trying to help out a friend. He has an 03 and is on his second set of airbags. They have now failed again.

So, I have the part #'s for the two springs. Now how do I deal with leaving the compressor in place and bi-passing the service air susp. warning. Or is it better just to re-wire teh compressor and pull everything else?

Rico001
12-13-2009, 02:08 AM
Thas why I am GLAD I didn't get the air system...IMO nothing but troubles...:rant:

:iagree:

Got to say that I'm not missing the headaches either ~Richard

Viet Nam Vette
12-17-2009, 07:41 PM
I Have the Air Baggies.. and the most important thing to go with them is.. A 7 Year GM Warranty Bumper to Bumper. Plus my dealership knows HUMMERS. They service about 5 to 7 a day

And when that warranty runs out I'll buy another if I don't have a 2017 H2:jump:

Dug
12-24-2009, 01:26 AM
ALRIGHT! on my 5th try I remembered how to log in. Just wanted to say that my air suspension has been draggin for a couple of weeks . I unbolted the air compressor and tossed it in the trash then I joined three hoses together with a fitting. One hose from each airbag and one hose that leads up into the cargo area for hooking up to to fill tires. Then I stuck my shop air hose in fitting in cargo area and filled up my air bags. Walla! level hummer with air ride. Heres a pick maybe. doug

Dug
12-24-2009, 01:32 AM
Try this?

Viet Nam Vette
12-24-2009, 07:40 PM
ALRIGHT! on my 5th try I remembered how to log in. Just wanted to say that my air suspension has been draggin for a couple of weeks . I unbolted the air compressor and tossed it in the trash then I joined three hoses together with a fitting. One hose from each airbag and one hose that leads up into the cargo area for hooking up to to fill tires. Then I stuck my shop air hose in fitting in cargo area and filled up my air bags. Walla! level hummer with air ride. Heres a pick maybe. doug

Neat Idea.... But when the outside temp changes so will your ride height. Same as tires... Cold out side ..Need more air... Warm outside tire pressure goes up less air....

Maybe you could hook an air pressure gauge up to that line and fill till your rig is level..then note the pressure and then you'll be able to nail it agian as the temp changes.

Also don't forget that the up and down movement of the bag during operation down the road creates heat which will raise the pressure...

Any comments..on the above.. Jump On In ??:drama:

pohlease
12-25-2009, 10:37 AM
Well I never thought it would happen to me. I got to my sister's for Christmas (an hour from home) and realized my rear end had bottomed out. My rear end did fishtail at one point on the way here...I am not sure that has anything to do with it. It looks like my driver side bag is partially inflated but my passenger side is completely deflated. Both sides are on the bumpstops.

Should I have gotten a "service air suspension" warning or something? I've read that though other people's airbags had popped they could still hear the compressor pumping? I don't hear that either. I checked the fuse in the dash and the larger fuse in the engine bay both look good. The button to raise the truck does nothing when i depress it.

I have a 2003 Adventure package. Is there anything else I should look at? Unfortunately it is Christmas day and I am not sure when I am going to be able to get it to a dealer. Should I tow it home? I think my long term plan will be to replace the airbags with a regular shock system...as much as that pains me.

Easy Ed
12-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Sorry to hear of your problem on Christmas day :(

I had mine go out one day on the way to work and it was as 60 mile round trip. I then drove it to the dealer that was an hour away. The ride is rough but doable.

Good luck, Ed

P.S. You should have got a "service air suspension" warning when it went out :confused:

hurricane
08-08-2010, 01:59 PM
can you post pics of your ride height?