PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a 4wheeler......

mmayo
02-11-2007, 11:54 PM
I'm looking to get myself a 4wheeler & would like some honest opinions. For the past few months I've had my fathers 600 Grizzly (98 yr model i think) it has a little over 2000 miles & runs great. They also have a Kodiak. I am looking at either the new Grizzly 700 that just came out or a polaris sportsman 800. I really like the size of the sportsman better than the yamaha(the seat especially since I am 6'7"). It is MUCH bigger than the yamaha & my son could fit on there much more comfortably riding w/ me. Since I have experience with the yamahas I know they are really reliable & I haven't heard a lot of good things about the polaris sportsman first hand. There is a group of guys that ride near my house & one had very bad luck w/ an '05 sportsman that the dealership finally ended up buying back from him for what he paid for it. The group told me that there is much more maintenance on a polaris than any of the other major brands that have been around.

That said, for those of yall that have or have had polaris sportsman?s how would you rate them? I dont want to sacrifice quality for size of the seat or spend that much $$$ on something that will just break down on me.

Thanks
-Mayo

joe70
02-12-2007, 12:16 AM
dont buy the polaris stick with the yamaha or the honda rincon 675 cc either one i have had both never had any problems with either

ssgharkness020147
02-12-2007, 12:22 AM
I've got a Polaris. Aside from my "friend" that crashed it in to a tree and ripped the control arm clear off the frame, thus totaling it, its been one hell of a good machine to me.

lotus4s
02-12-2007, 02:52 AM
The grizz and the sportsman are both great machines. I have two sportsmans an 05 400 and an 06 700, am partial to Polaris and neither has ever left me stranded. You won't find a better or more comfortable ride than a Sportsman and the 800 is an awesome machine.

Ride both and then decide. And also be sure to consider your local dealer and which one will give you the best aftersale support.

mmayo
02-12-2007, 03:20 AM
is there alot of maintenance on the sportsman?

Big Z
02-12-2007, 04:13 AM
I'm looking to get myself a 4wheeler & would like some honest opinions. For the past few months I've had my fathers 600 Grizzly (98 yr model i think) it has a little over 2000 miles & runs great. They also have a Kodiak. I am looking at either the new Grizzly 700 that just came out or a polaris sportsman 800. I really like the size of the sportsman better than the yamaha(the seat especially since I am 6'7"). It is MUCH bigger than the yamaha & my son could fit on there much more comfortably riding w/ me. Since I have experience with the yamahas I know they are really reliable & I haven't heard a lot of good things about the polaris sportsman first hand. There is a group of guys that ride near my house & one had very bad luck w/ an '05 sportsman that the dealership finally ended up buying back from him for what he paid for it. The group told me that there is much more maintenance on a polaris than any of the other major brands that have been around.

That said, for those of yall that have or have had polaris sportsman?s how would you rate them? I dont want to sacrifice quality for size of the seat or spend that much $$$ on something that will just break down on me.

Thanks
-Mayo

Polaris is a work horse!!...We Have a 700 and 800 left.....WON'T OWN Anything Else!!!...Had a 500 and two 600's also.

I sold the (2002) 500 to a friend and it just turned 3,000 miles, is ready for a set of tires, and it used 1 belt. It's still running strong and he has NO desire to get rid of or upgrade any time soon!

I've had Polaris since 2001.....moved tons of snow, and wood, and rode--in comfort--miles of trails, and have NEVER been let down by the machine!

gr8hntr
02-12-2007, 04:59 AM
i own a 04 polaris 500 HO and have pulled out a stuck Z71 and moved many cars and trucks around our shop...i have carried 4 adults on it at one time deer hunting i have never done anything but change the oil
gr8 4 wheeler..it is a work horse !!!

the only problem i have with it is the camo turned purple and polaris wont warranty it .... i wish i wouldnt of paid the extra bucks for the camo

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/7761/purpletn0.jpg

lotus4s
02-12-2007, 05:36 AM
is there alot of maintenance on the sportsman?

No more so than any other brand. You have to maintain fluid changes, grease fittings, plugs etc just like any other machine.

If you're talking about repairs just go to any atv forum and look at any brand. They all have their quirks just like Hummers and Heeps....:jump:

mmayo
02-13-2007, 02:43 PM
from what i've read it looks that the belts seem to go much quicker on a polaris........

CO Hummer
02-13-2007, 04:37 PM
I'm looking to buy 2 ATVs in the near future too. I'm pretty much leaning towards a Honda. I grew up riding Honda three wheelers. I pretty much NEVER maintained them properly yet they never failed.

ssgharkness020147
02-13-2007, 10:15 PM
Mines on its orignal belt, and about 800 miles. I've pulled over 10K up hill with the thing, granted I smoked the belt some its still fine.

from what i've read it looks that the belts seem to go much quicker on a polaris........