PDA

View Full Version : Unequal Airflow From Upper Vents

Sundown94
02-16-2007, 05:24 AM
Has anyone noticed the following, which I just discovered tonight after owning my H2 for over three years now. If I set the temperature on both sides of the climate control to be equal, then manually set the system so that the air only comes out of the upper vents, and manually turn up the fan to maximum speed, more air comes out of the passenger side vents than the driver's side. Even if I turn the knob and close the passenger side vent, more air does NOT come out of the driver's side. You may wonder why I was messing around with the controls and manually setting them in the first place, and the reason is because it was so damn cold out tonight that I wanted maximum hot air blowing on me (besides, nobody was in the passenger seat anyway). :) Any ideas as to why there is better airflow on the passenger side with all other things being equal? Thanks!!

emeldahay
02-16-2007, 10:10 AM
all 4 of my vents give out unequal air - the drivers door/left one is like an elderly asthmatic man puffing away. Almost nothing comes out.

The two in the middle are a lot more powerfull but as you say unequal.

I was wondering if its twisted pipes inside or something since Ive noticed it the more I have technical work done behind the dash.

:violin: :dancingbanana: :violin:

obzidian
02-16-2007, 04:39 PM
its because, since the air conditioning is blown from on source, redirected for the various points on the dash, you will have your stronger feeds and weak ones because of the distribution properties or fluids..

Sundown94
02-16-2007, 05:08 PM
Thanks guys!! At the very least, I feel a little better knowing that it is not a problem that is unique to my H2. Like you said, it could be the way the air is directed. If the straightest part of the air duct goes to the passenger side, and the driver's side is more of a secondary branch that curves off of that main air duct, then the air will have a tendency to flow through the part with least resistence, or the straightest air duct. It would be great if someone who has seen their air ducts could verify this so that those of us with sub-optimal airflow on the driver's side would know why and/or how to correct it if possible. This whole topic may sound trivial (and I may sound anal), but I just can't stand it when I think that something may be wrong with my vehicle...I always have this ever nagging urge to just get in there and fix it. :)

pdsq99f4
02-16-2007, 05:20 PM
I would bring it to the dealer and have them reflash the hvac module. There is a updated program to help with airflow concerns.

obzidian
02-16-2007, 05:22 PM
man, i hear ya! I have noticed this in just about ever car i have ever own...
My current camaro is really bad the amount of air you get on the driver side compared to the passenger....

obzidian
02-16-2007, 05:22 PM
I would bring it to the dealer and have them reflash the hvac module. There is a updated program to help with airflow concerns.

right! Its some sort or coating the put on the ducts, right?

Sundown94
02-16-2007, 05:46 PM

I'm out of warranty, so how much does it cost to "flash" the HVAC module? When you buy a car these days, all future software updates and enhancements (or "flashes" to any module) should be free of charge. For example, the Microsoft Windows operating system that we each run on our computers is bad enough, but could you imagine not being able to download fixes and patches or having to pay for every single one of them?

mdoyle
02-16-2007, 05:52 PM
Anytime you have distribution over a network of pipes you'll have losses that stack up depending on the diameter and distance. In design work a hunter curve is used to correctly oversize piping and ducting to provide equal flow.

It sounds like a shortcut was made in the case of the A/C ducts on the H2 :(

I think I'm more disappointed with the rear air in our H2 than the side to side differences.