PDA

View Full Version : Spare Tire Carrier Problem Anyone?

Powerfiend
02-18-2007, 09:07 PM
Wondering if any of you have the same problem with your factory spare tire carrier that I'm having.
Everytime I swing it out to load or unload, the damn thing swing back into me. Is anyone making a lock to hold it open for safer loading and unloading?:confused:

I checked to see if I can tighten the bushing to make it more resistant to swinging, but its locked in.

MONSTERMATT
02-20-2007, 05:56 AM
someone named "powerfiend" should not experience any problems like this:giggling: :dancingbanana: :jump:

lennyrebel
02-20-2007, 07:05 AM
It takes a lot of effort to move my spare ,and it stays wherever I push it. I don't know why yours moves so easy. I recently greased it as well. May be put some adhesive grease in bushing. regards The Rebel

frenzy1
02-20-2007, 07:54 AM
That's why I'm gonna put mine on the roof. Ordered a gobi roofrack/tire carrier

Captain of the Titanic
02-20-2007, 05:10 PM
You can always do what the previous owner of my truck did...

Just slam the thing so hard it breaks the bump stop off. It puts a nice dent next to the tail light when you do it right.

I still haven't fixed it. You almost can't see it, and there are so many other things I can spend my money on with an H2!

mikejr
02-21-2007, 02:47 AM
i just make sure my wife and/or daugther are with me to hold the tire open for me.

devilsfan
02-21-2007, 08:53 PM
That's what your butt is for.

Another option - bring down your hatch just barely enough to catch the tire edge. It will hold it open for you.

Stacy

partsguy
02-22-2007, 12:09 AM
Never had one do this.Maybe you shouldn't unload in turn 3 at Dover.:p

I went out and checked a couple used trucks and none did this.

Powerfiend
02-26-2007, 09:31 PM
Sounds like mine's loose; I'm going to try and tighten up that bushing. I just thought that if its swinging closed on me when I'm trying to load my beer at costco, what's it going to due when I'm trying to unload my beer on the trail!
:beerchug:

Powerfiend
02-26-2007, 09:33 PM
someone named "powerfiend" should not experience any problems like this:giggling: :dancingbanana: :jump:
NICE ONE! I know, sounds like a stupid complaint but I figured I'd ask!:D