PDA

View Full Version : SUT Tail Light Guard Question

hummer.dad
02-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Do the GM tail light guards for the SUT require holes to be drilled in the sheet metal? I've been told they attach with 2 existing screws and then 2 small holes need to be drilled in the body? Is this correct? If so, how do you prevent rust from the drilled holes? Just trying to decided whether to purchase. Anyone have the instructions they can post?

SUT NEIL
02-18-2007, 10:15 PM
I can't post the instructions here but I'd be happy to fax them to you.
PM me with your fax # and I'll do so. :beerchug:

MattRoberts123
02-19-2007, 12:07 AM
I got the ones from www.hitechcc.com for my SUT.... you have to drill 6 holes I think for each side... but it actually just drills into the plastic trim of the lights... so nothing is done to the actual body of the car, and the place where you drill the holes does not mess up the integrity of the lights either... doesn't actually go through the area where the lights are contained... so it all works out great!

Hope this helps.

H345
02-19-2007, 10:56 AM
JMHO , but mounting a guard into light metal or plastic is really no protection for the taillight lens .

walc
02-25-2007, 05:35 AM
I installed the oem SUT tail light guards, today.
You do have to drill 2 holes, in the sheet metal, on each side.
I did so with a 5/16 rotabroach, per the instructions, and the holes are a little too big, for the screw anchors. :crying: So, I'm not sure how well they will hold. Also, 1 of the mounting points doesn't fit flush with the sheet metal.
I also managed to scrape off some paint, near where I was drilling. I didn't make a deep enough pilot hole and the drill got away from me. :mad: I'm no Bob Vila. :o
I don't know about rust. All that comes with the kit is a little tube of grease to cover the 4 holes you have to drill.
Overall, I spent $210, for the guards, and $75 for rotabroach bits, and $20 for touch up paint. I wish I'd left well enough alone. :violin: