PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Shop Houston / Dallas

Tallowood_Air
02-22-2007, 08:22 PM
someone refer me to a shop in Houston or Dallas?

I need to do something with my tranny.

Just put on the S/C and the 1-2 shift is getting longer and longer......

Also, recommendations for parts / brands?

CONRAD II
02-22-2007, 09:05 PM
any idea why this is happening?

LEcustoms
02-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Did you get the solenoids upgraded when you did the sc? This increases your line pressure and prevents your bands from slipping. If you take it to the dealer they charge around $400-$500 for it. They replace your factory solenoids wth corvette solenoids. I think parts are around $150. Should help. Good luck

Tallowood_Air
02-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Did you get the solenoids upgraded when you did the sc? This increases your line pressure and prevents your bands from slipping. If you take it to the dealer they charge around $400-$500 for it. They replace your factory solenoids wth corvette solenoids. I think parts are around $150. Should help. Good luck

no, I didn't. I thought the tanny would last a little while, at least...

any idea why this is happening?

no, I don't know enough about transmissions to say anything definite, but it reminds me of a transmission on its way out. :(

LEcustoms
02-22-2007, 09:44 PM
The engines in the h2's are indestructable the tranny's not so much. You might wanna consider getting the solenoids and see what happens. It might give you some more time before you need a rebuild. If you do need a rebuild it might be your bands. Either way you might want to think about that upgrade it'll help your tranny out alot.

pdsq99f4
02-22-2007, 10:57 PM
Sounds like your band is burnt. This happens a lot on SC H2's. You need beef up the trans with a better band and clutches, shift kit, and bump the shift pressures with a tune. Not quite sure, but maybe even a corvette servo also if the H2 doesn't already have one.

Tallowood_Air
02-23-2007, 06:45 AM
Sounds like your band is burnt. This happens a lot on SC H2's. You need beef up the trans with a better band and clutches, shift kit, and bump the shift pressures with a tune. Not quite sure, but maybe even a corvette servo also if the H2 doesn't already have one.

right. so back to the original question.

where in Houston or Dallas?

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
02-23-2007, 10:31 AM
Get servo from Vette that is same year model as H2. Chevy dealer vette only guy I went to school with says it should do the job nicely. He mentioned going to non computer controlled vacuum regulator to get line pressure. He said it would especially 2005 and up that went to hardened sun gear cage and to 5 gears rather than in previous year models 4 gears hold up nicely under SC situation.

TAZ

drmiles
02-23-2007, 01:37 PM
somewhere there is a post about upgrading from the 460le to the 480 or 485 not sure. I'll search other forums.

drmiles
02-23-2007, 01:40 PM
http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324&highlight=460le

drmiles
02-23-2007, 01:48 PM
Have a look at this site and it will provide you with further information on the 4L65E(450HP), 4L80E(1000HP) and 4L85E(1200HP) (maximum high perf or race settings).

http://www.e700r4.com/

Quote from site "#LS1-700. Crankshaft spacer to install an early type 4L60E transmission or 4L80E on a LS1 type motor. Six longer flywheel bolts included. The LS1 flywheel is reused. The flywheel goes on first then the spacer. The torque converter bolt holes in your flywheel must be elongated to fit your non-LS1 torque converter bolt circle. Cost $85.00

#10C. Crossmember for the 4L60E to 4L80E transmission conversion, 2000 up Tahoe and some others. This custom made crossmember moves the transmission mount to the correct position for the 4WD Tahoe 4L60E to 4L80E conversion. Works with the #3XX deep cast aluminum pan that holds 3 3/4 extra quarts of fluid. Cost $310.00. On some trucks the crossmember will slide to the rear. This price includes a $140.00 core charge, return your old crossmember in good undamaged condition for a refund.

#10C2. Crossmember for the 4L60E to 4L80E transmission conversion, 2000 up Tahoe and some others. This custom made crossmember moves the transmission mount to the correct position for the 4WD Tahoe 4L60E to 4L80E conversion. Must be used with a late model type pan. Cost $285.00. On some trucks the crossmember will slide to the rear. This price includes a $140.00 core charge, return your old crossmember in good undamaged condition for a refund.

#10T. You get the 4L80E to Tahoe 4L60E transfer case adapter, custom made 4L80E to 4L60E transfer case output shaft, 4L60E to 4L80E wiring adapters, LS1 motor to 4L80E crankshaft spacer and a #10C custom built 4L80E crossmember that moves the transmission mount to the correct position. You saw it here first. Even the best built 4L60E transmission in a heavy 4WD supercharged Tahoe wont last long, a built 4L80E transmission is twice as strong as a built 4L60E transmission. Cost $1074.00 Nicely priced also with all things considered!! :D

drmiles
02-23-2007, 01:49 PM
http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19693&highlight=transmission

From this thread

Good luck

Tallowood_Air
02-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Gentlemen, thank you all very much for the input.

Do any of you know a shop that does work like this in the Houston or Dallas area?

wingnut2u
02-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Tallow,

Kind of funny, by the replies you almost would have thought this was a trick question. Like you I just installed a SC and I know it is just a matter time before I need some tranny work, especially since I have an '03 with the old style transmission.

To answer your question, no I do not know of a shop in the Dallas or Houston area to refer you to for this kind of work, but if someone ever does give you an answer please let me know, maybe we can go in together and work a package deal.

Do you live in Dallas or Houston?

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
02-24-2007, 09:28 AM
The tranny work suggested by drmiles is a shop in Bosier City, LA
I have visited with them and I will run my 4l60e till it drops with some fairly inexpensive part chnage outs and will then go to 4l80E swap out complete with carbon fiber bands the works. They say it cannot be destroyed. Most normal 5 lb. boost engines with stock trannies will last a long time if you are not running at WOT every time you touch the peddle. You are not exceeding the stock tranny ability even if you do nothing if you use rig normally with SC for better uphill grade perf. etc. Do not freak out about the tranny unless You know it has been abused before you got it. That can be checked with a regular service check with pan dropped and filter change while you are at it. Go to syn. tranny fluid Royal Purple is real good. It is not so much of the amount of HP and torque you are running as it is the application you use it for.

TAZ

Tallowood_Air
02-24-2007, 10:58 PM
Well unfortunately I can't affor to just run it 'until it drops' so i have to rebuild or replace it prematurely.

I read some of the threads and the sites suggested, and it seems like a good idea to swap for a built up 4L80E. Then i shouldn't have any more trouble out of it for a while...

I'll see what they say in Bossier City.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Drmiles, name of the shop?

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
02-25-2007, 01:44 AM
Question?
How old is your rig? Is it a 07 as listed in sig? How many miles?
A SC added to low miles will not do in a tranny unless you had trouble to begin with. KLAUS has a 03 with SC and factory tranny still in it the last he mentioned. He drives his everday.

I had my tranny checked before SC install to be sure all looked OK so no warranty issues. I had a service manager and dealer fortunately that support what I do in the show and power things I do.

You may just need some tranny adjustments with better software than what comes with SC kit. The programmer is limited in what it does. Just trying to save You money not needed to be spent yet if that is possible and tranny mechanically does not have a problem. Been messing with this stuff for a few years now.

Others here have more experience for a year or so on H2's than Me but, have not said anything yet. But, You must do what Your gut tells You.

TAZ

KenP
02-25-2007, 01:56 AM
We had the 65E rebuilt when the SC was installed and the truck was virtually new. We never had another problem with the trans.

Any good trans shop can do the rebuild and 'vette servos.

Tallowood_Air
03-12-2007, 01:26 AM
F-it.

Answer my own question.

Freddies Transmission in Dallas did mine for me.

Freddie and Joe were both very knowledgable and aware of what I expected.

It shifted weakly before, now it shifts like a madman. :D

Not sure what all this is, but here's whats in it.

Performance Overhaul Kit (OHK)
Friction Steel Kit (FSK) “Z-PAK”
Friction Kit, Forward
Friction Kit, Overrun
Friction Kit, Reverse Input
Friction Kit, Low Reverse
Band, High-Performance, 2”
Sprag, Forward
Drum, Reverse Input
Shift Correction Package
Super Servo
Piston 4th
Torque Converter, 300mm

If anybody is interested,
11607 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75229
(972) 488-3733 or 214-821-2700
http://www.FreddiesTransmissions.com

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
03-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Tallo
You did good Buddy. The tranny should go a while with no problems. The real trick to making the trannies hold up is getting the line pressures up to prevent burned bands from slipping. It makes for a more firm shift but, even in a stock tranny if done in the beginning it will last longer. That was one of the reasons I got my hands on a programmer as fast as I could to up line pressures even though I was stock. I had seen it done on a Silverado and it made a big difference. It seemed to help transfer the HP and Torque to the ground better. The nice thing about 2005 & up, Hummer went to a 5 gear planetary versus the pre 2005 that had 4 gears. In 2005 and newer also with the 5 gear upgrade they used a better quality sun cage for the gears. It would help all the trannies if Hummer would cryo the sun cage and the gears.

The 2005 and newer have a few more tricks Hummer could use if they would.
They could put in a chromed hardened shaft which is really tough. There are many parts from a Vette tranny that will work in Our newer model trannies. I just want to recomend to all H2 owner's to get your line pressure up and most all handheld tuners can do this. It is normally called performance setting, firm, and then stock. Using the better servo's or the Vette servo will allow you to up pressure more.

I had a strictly Vette mechanic tell me I should go to a mechnical vacumm regulator like most all I think he said was in late 70's or early 80's. I need to talk to him more but, I think he said that in a SC setup You can hook the mechanical servo up and run vacumm hose up to the SC manifold and You then get more line pressure when the vacumm increases with depressing the throttle. He mentioned, if I understood, that it would do a better job than the computer controlled servo. I think he said it is going back to old school which I'm old enough to remember. The tranny in my 1968 Mustang was mechanical and I recall replacing it when the diaphrame inside split. This mechanic does it on Vette's and that way you do not get a more firm shift unless it is called for by engine. I do need to follow up on that unless someone knows better what I was recalling and can explain it. I would be grateful!!

I have had a health relapse and apologize for getting involved with this thread and not being able to stay with You through the diagnosis and solutions. You did a good job in working this out for Yourself with less knowledge and help. It goes back to an old saying that the only stupid question is the one you do not ask. You kept looking till You found someone that understood your need. Thanks for the info on a shop You found.

Congrats,

TAZ

drmiles
03-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Yeah, sorry just got back from National Hummer Club trip. I didn't know a name to give you.

How much did your upgrade cost?

Tallowood_Air
03-14-2007, 07:38 PM
How much did your upgrade cost?

about 2500. which seemed about right. took ~2.5 days