PDA

View Full Version : Headers.... Performance & Brand

MattRoberts123
03-01-2007, 04:38 AM
Ok... last weekend I put on a Corsa exhaust on my 06 SUT... VERY happy. Gives it a nice tone, and really has seemed to help with gas mileage and a little bit of performance.

I keep thinking supercharger, but that is a ton of money for me to go dropping into a vehicle that I really probably will get rid of in 2 years or less.

I have heard people talk about the Dynatech headers, but DAM* those are pricey! Are they really worth the money? Will I not see the same difference if I get a set of Borlas?

Are there any brands that anyone has tried and has been happy with?

Any brands that people DO NOT recommend?

Any other cool performance upgrades?

Thanks!

tomp
03-01-2007, 04:47 AM
You may want to strongly consider a custom map (tuning) after installation or you will run too lean.

MattRoberts123
03-01-2007, 04:48 AM
I have programmed using the Hypertech...?

H2 Bill
03-02-2007, 11:04 PM
Stay away from Edelbrock, the welds break and they don't stand behind them! I found out the hard way..:mad:

Tallowood_Air
03-04-2007, 05:17 PM
Happy with the Dynatech

I'd recommend getting the hi-flow cats as well..

obzidian
03-05-2007, 06:49 AM
i have dynatechs on my camaro and they are the best headers i have ever had, period. Instuctions are REALLY straight foward and the welds are great with the stainless.

I would stay away from the hypertech from anything tunning. Get hptuners and you have a hard time fguring out, there are tons of ppl that have used and im sure you can find help.

I would say that they are worth it. However, keep in mind, you exhaust tone WILL change, for the best of worst, thats up to you. Keep that in mind.

good luck!!

drmiles
03-05-2007, 01:58 PM
crap, I have Edlebrock, 20,000 miles + no issues. Very happy. Hope the welds don't break

Stay away from Edelbrock, the welds break and they don't stand behind them! I found out the hard way..:mad:

H2 Bill
03-05-2007, 07:05 PM
I had 2 sets of the Edelbrock break on the drivers side collector. I have two other friends with H2's and the same thing happened with them, always on the drivers side collector.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
03-06-2007, 09:09 AM
Dynatech headers with catbacks is the best I have ever run. They are long tube headers which will give better lowend power. They are pricey but they are made of stainless steel.

Pick up a Superchips programmer as HPTUNERS started putting their programs in the Superchips handheld starting in 2006. I run HPTUNERS software for tuning from laptop. HPTUNERS is a sponsor of my show rig but, I was using their tuning software before that happend by recomendation of some others.

You need alot of patience if You want to learn to tune yourself. If there is not an All Wheel Drive dyno in Your area you will need to make a bunch of WOT runs to work out a tune You like. That is how I do it to get real quality info adding in the real road resistance, wind and anything else that could be faced in every day driving. You will need a logger scanner that you can get at HPTUNERS website. You will need an acurate weighing of the rig and use a G-Tech RR unit that will acurately measure the HP, Torque, and other things plus it will connect to a computer and let You download info so you can use it to check performance in a rig before and after runs to check and see what you gain in power or not with add-ons.

You should not need a tune by just adding headers and catback unless you are concerned with getting max performance of adding headers/catbacks.
You can run the stock tune and the rig will breath better if You added the K&N cold air intake or any other brand. You will see a gain in power. To use the headers/catbacks efficiently after spending the money You may as well buy a good handheld tuner.

HPTUNERS got invovled with Superchips when the parent company MSD,Inc. worked a deal that allowed MSD to market HPTUNERS software exclusively except, anything sold from HPTUNERS website, plus other things. Superchips got rights to MSD's Ford and Dodge tunes that MSD had been working on. HPTUNERS may have already perfected some of the tunes but, getting them in the deal saved HPTUNERS allot of work.

HPTUNERS became a sponsor of Superchips Racing and vice versa.

Before I added supercharger I was running a handheld that since has been sold to Comp Cams in Memphis and sold under the new name of Fast Flash.
It was developed by Enhanced Performance Products. I liked it alot because they were very close to me and in general have always been happy to help.
I ran full set of Dynatech header and catback package, EPP cold air intake, Taylor wires, electric fans, 160 degree T-stat, and some other stuff as well. I need to go to hotter coil packs and cooler range of plugs as well as other stuff. I got a great improvement in power before SC. If not for sponsorship I could have stopped before SC and been happy with Performance. You can use the basic layout to make engine breath better and You will like it but, You do not release the full potential until a handheld programer is used on it.

You can go to Allen Nelson at nelsonperformance.com to get a swap out PCM with a tune flashed to it to meet the specs You are running that You fill out on the form He uses to choose the tune that is right for Your setup. If You move up to supercharger Allen can update Your tune by telling him what you have done and Allen will load a tune on a PCM and swap out. Do not be surprised if Allen does it for free for You except for shipping etc.

The next thing would be find a local Pro Tuner. If no dyno the tuner will work with You and doing WOT runs to scan performance and adjust it.
Good Luck!!

TAZ

tbuckley
03-06-2007, 05:57 PM
"HOW" does the exhaust tone change, exactly. Or does that depend greatly on the headers you install?

Thanks,
Tom

tbuckley
03-06-2007, 05:58 PM
"HOW" does the exhaust tone change, exactly. Or does that depend greatly on the headers you install?

Thanks,
Tom

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
03-07-2007, 07:36 AM
You can change tone of the rigs sound with mufflers. In Flowmaster, my favorite, You can get 50 series, 40 series, super 40 series, and have not checked for 2007 maybe another series above and below what i mentioned.

You really need to look for a performance exhaust shop. I have mentioned before there is a difference between a muffler shop and a perf. exhaust shop.

I learned from muscle cars that if You drive up to a perf. exhaust shop You can explain the sound you are looking for. Most of the real good ones will based on stock or whatever know the muffler You are looking for whether a single or dual exhaust setup. They will try to match you up to where you are at in power add-ons. Some will even if you drive it a day or two and are not happy will try another for you. They do not miss it up front to often. I'm not saying that these guys do not service every day cars they do and have to if they want to make a living. If you pull up and see some real muscle cars or tuners cars parked on the side you know you have made it to the right place. Plus they usually have performance in their name.

Headers can also alter the sound but, not much unless you add a kit to let you switch to open headers and then you most liley know what your doing as well. Then what i have mentioned above is academic. That kit is one thing I'm adding in near future so i can run open headers for special occasions.

TAZ

tbuckley
03-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Great info -- many thanks,
Tom