PDA

View Full Version : H2 2003 Starting Problems

scaleste
03-03-2007, 06:47 PM
I am having difficulty starting my H2 2003
Key turns between accessory position and start, but otherwise will not rotate back to the position for the key to be removed. There is absolutely no reaction whatsoever moving the key to the start position. The gear shift (automatic) is locked and the release button on the side is locked in the out position.

The instrument panel is completely off and there are other items such as the widows, and radio that do not work. The Battery is good and lights (headlight & interior lights), and remote door locks work.

Now what did I do between the time it was running and now? I washed it yesterday after a trip to the desert. I washed the dust off the engine as well with a light spray with the engine off. I also found a small wire bundle handing under the dash on the driver?s side. They split to two smaller wire bundles and plugged into two small boxes (aprox. 1? square) attached to the edge of the dash just above the driver?s feet. I disconnected these two to reroute the wire so they would not hang being careful to plug them exactly as before.

It seems some sort of intentional lockout. Could be wrong, but with the key locked, and the gear locked in park, I am anticipating difficulty getting to the shop. Any advice will be most appreciated.

mikejr
03-03-2007, 07:01 PM
are you sure your battery is good. Sometimes batteries will power lights and accessories but wont have enough power to crank the engine. Just a thought.

scaleste
03-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Assumption my part, but after your meessage I went out and put the charger on. On the way I hit the horn button the remote and yes the horn works also. Just the same, I connected the charger and to my surprise, it charger indicates the batter is low. I don't think it is too low as the lights don't seem to be off a bit when I turned them on. I think it is possible the batter is a little low because the key has been in the ignition in what would be the run position for about 4 hours. I disconnected the batter so it would get a clean charge and will give it another try when the charge is finished. Thanks for the hint, and I will get back to you after the charge is complete.
Tom

mikejr
03-03-2007, 07:41 PM
sometimes you just need a new set of eyes on the problem. I just hope its a weak battery and nothing more serious.

My wifes Trailblazer did the very same thing, lights and everything worked but it wouldnt start. Threw a new battery in it and started right up.

scaleste
03-03-2007, 08:06 PM
For a moment I was hopeful for the easy solution, but hopes faded with the short time to took to get the battery to full charge. It was a good opportunity to clean the terminals, but no improvement. Thanks for the suggestion. It seems odd that among the symptoms the instrument panel is completely dead and the key won?t rotate back to the release position.

mikejr
03-03-2007, 08:17 PM
i dont know about the 2003's but some of the older GM steering columns would "jam" if the wheel was turned and the key was locked. Did you try turning the steering wheel a little bit to move the key.

Also, it concerns me that the battery charged that quickly. Normally they dont reach full charge in such a short time.

Maybe some of the other members on here may have experienced this.

scaleste
03-03-2007, 09:19 PM
For grins, I rolled my other car in the driveway and connected the jumper cables. No improvement. The wheel turns freely as the key is not in the locked position and turns freely. If it were not for the lights, horns, door locks and even the garage door opener working, it has all the appearance of a completely dead or disconnected battery. Looking at the instrument panel completely dead and absolutely no indication at all truning the key it seems that there is a lock out of some sort or the mother of all bad connections.

Glad the problem showed up now as we were going camping in the desert next weekend. We typically go deep desert so any mechanical problems is a bugger to resolve. You ought see a Hummer going down a 50 ft sand dune slip face. A real heart stopper.

mikejr
03-03-2007, 10:10 PM
well hopefully another forum member will chime in on this since i am stumped. I dont know enough about the electrical system of the H2 to know if there is an interlock somewhere.

Maybe try PMing drtyfn or paragon, they know the workings of the beast quite well.

Sorry i couldnt be of more help.

Samco Fab
03-03-2007, 11:15 PM
I have heard that the ignition switch (where you turn the key) can go bad on H2's fairly commonly. I have never replaced one, but sometimes an intermitent problem with the ignition switch can show a bunch of weird trouble codes such as transmission shifting problems and engine shutting off or not starting. You might ask your dealership about the steering column key ignition switch as one option.

I am not an electrical guy, so this is just a guess.

ttkresurfacing
03-04-2007, 05:22 AM
Guaranteed that it is your ignition switch. Dealer charges $200 for it and can be done in an hour or two. I know becuase I have a 2003 and I am now on my fifth switch. Just had to call Hummer corporate to see they were gonna make me pay again or not. Good luck.

Tim

scaleste
03-04-2007, 03:27 PM
There is a theory that as one gets older, brain cells drift down to the butt. Proof to this theory is to consider how many times have you be bewildered about something, lost the keys, or some other puzzle and after you sit long enough to think about it, you think of the solution. The brain cells get pushed back up.

I recalled one other thing I did while under the dash. There is a very large plug that is so large, there is a leaver to release it and pull it out. Push the leaver forward and it locks the plug fully engaged. I found that leaver not fully pushed in place. Without really thinking about it, it was loose and it simply pushed it in place. The plug then properly locked in position.

After I sat back having concluded that the next day would be a call to the dealer, those feeble brain cells began to engage and I remembered the plug. I went back out and loosened the leaver and all is back in order; door open chime went off, seat moved radio turned on and the blessed instrument panel worked. The hummer started with a bare turn of the key.

I?m not happy with the solution though. Not comfortable going deep desert camping with an iffy plug that works in the wrong position. Like plugging xmass tree lights in an old extension chord and wiggling the connection to get the lights to come on. Not a safe maneuver.

By-the-way, food for thought ? It came to mind that this may also be an interesting feature. I am always concerned parking at the airport for long term thinking I may find an empty parking place when I return. Simple additional theft deterrent.

scaleste
03-04-2007, 03:37 PM
PS - I really appreciate the replies. You guys kept the though process going and I really appreciate it.
Thanks,

mikejr
03-04-2007, 05:15 PM
you are welcome and thats the beauty of a forum like this. More eyes on a problem is always a good thing.