PDA

View Full Version : Gentex Onstar Mirror Wiring

\"Doc\"-sqrd
01-16-2004, 02:27 PM
Hello H2'ers,

I have an installer nearing completion on a Pioneer Nav system install who has run into a little wiring puzzle. I purchased a Gentex Model GNTX-261 mirror with Onstar out of a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer so as to move the Onstar controls from the dash to the mirror, thereby using the 1/2 DIN slot for the DVD player. So far everything is wired EXCEPT for the mirror's Onstar controls. Of course, the wiring color-coding differs between the in-dash Onstar unit and the mirror's input wiring. If someone out there has a "schematic" or solution for wiring the mirror, please post ASAP so I can get my rig back before tomorrow's Gilmer outing!!!

Thanks for any help forthcoming.

\"Doc\"-sqrd
01-16-2004, 02:27 PM
Hello H2'ers,

I have an installer nearing completion on a Pioneer Nav system install who has run into a little wiring puzzle. I purchased a Gentex Model GNTX-261 mirror with Onstar out of a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer so as to move the Onstar controls from the dash to the mirror, thereby using the 1/2 DIN slot for the DVD player. So far everything is wired EXCEPT for the mirror's Onstar controls. Of course, the wiring color-coding differs between the in-dash Onstar unit and the mirror's input wiring. If someone out there has a "schematic" or solution for wiring the mirror, please post ASAP so I can get my rig back before tomorrow's Gilmer outing!!!

Thanks for any help forthcoming.

RonB
01-16-2004, 02:35 PM
I've been waiting for someone to do this. Seems like a good idea to re-locate the on-star, it's taking up space where it is and kids love that red emergency button!

Ron

Klaus
01-16-2004, 03:26 PM
I just emailed the OnStar schematics to you. Let us know how it goes!

Klaus

Rare 2003 H2 with UM8 Integrated Navigation Radio http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
Skull & Bones Member since 2003

\"Doc\"-sqrd
01-16-2004, 05:37 PM
Hi Klaus,

Thanks for the emailings! My installer has the schematics and is "buttoning-up" my rig. He will get back to me when he's finished testing all systems (hopefully today so I can get muddy in Gilmer!). I'll prepare a synopsis of the install....assuming all works as planned.

"Doc"-sqrd

Klaus
01-25-2004, 02:19 PM
Doc,

Do you have an update? Did this work for you?

Klaus

Rare 2003 H2 with UM8 Integrated Navigation Radio http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
Skull & Bones Member since 2003

\"Doc\"-sqrd
01-25-2004, 07:51 PM
Hi Klaus,

Regrettably, I was unsuccessful in getting the Gentex mirror to function despite your wiring diagrams, calls to Gentex and Onstar! There is an apparent mismatch in versions of Onstar...so mirror selection may be very critical. I was using a 2002 GMC trailblazer mirror...so don't try this one! I did get the Pioneer Nav system up and running with the Onstar buttons moved to between the A/C center vents. It looks unobtrusive and real nice in that location. BTW I missed the Gilmer outing! One of my partners has an orange H2 and we crossed paths with paragon on his way home crossing US80 (we were returning from the Longview gunshow...(fun but not as much as Gilmer would have been!)

As for the install, the mic is tucked in next to the overhead console (no sunroof version), the Pioneer head is in the Onstar 1/2 DIN slot and the touchscreen panel is in overhead #2 (folded up when not in use), my sunglass holder is mover to #1 next to the OEM H2 mirror.

Thanks for asking!