PDA

View Full Version : Does radiator removal require engine fan be removed?

GasGuzzler
03-08-2007, 01:28 AM
I had my radiator replaced 5 months ago. This morning my wife heard a cracking sound in the engine bay then she noticed a leak. It turns out the fan came loose and the blades have punched a hole on the radiator causing the coolant leak.

Here's my question:

When my radiator was initially replaced, did the fan have to be removed and put back on? I am trying to get the shop to replace the fan and radiator on warranty.

Thanks in advance.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
03-08-2007, 04:03 AM
You do not have to take fan off but, it makes it allot easier.

The fan threads are reverse thread so that the fan is always tightening itself.

Rather than coming loose there must have been something else to cause fan to come off. It seems I remember a situation on a H2 where the fan shaft broke off the big nut that screws on to water pump broke and let fan go wild.

Not much help I guess but, I do know it is reverse threads though as I took mine off when changing over to dual electric fans.

TAZ

GasGuzzler
03-08-2007, 04:15 AM
Hi Taz

THX for the reply. I do notice the thread on the end of the water pump shaft is gone. I suspect the mechanic that replaced the radiator did not put the fan on correctly and ruin the thread on the shaft. I am taking it back to them tomorrow and hope they will fix it under the 12-month warranty.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
03-08-2007, 05:37 AM
It sounds like the guy crossed threaded the fan when he put it back on for sure. I had a guy do that to my Silverado. Bad thing is if the shaft threads are messed up it will require a new water pump also.

TAZ