PDA

View Full Version : Opposite Ignition Problem

harisn9000
03-08-2007, 03:33 PM
First off, what a great forum!! I'm glad I stumbled across this. Now for the fun stuff.

I seem to have the opposite problem that everyone else seems to have. Yesterday, while my wife was out with the H2 (2003), she returned to the truck from her shopping and the key would not turn on. I wasn't there, so I don't have the full details, but when she called, she said the key wouldn't turn the ignition (almost as if it were the wrong key).

I asked her to first try the obvious, moving the steering wheel firmly in both directions. No luck. She even flagged down a guy to see if he would have any better luck. Nope. After sitting there for 30 minutes, trying a few other things like flipping the key 180, and ???, she tried one more time and she got it to start. She told me that moving the electric seat forward was the last thing she did before it started? ? ? ? ? ? That makes sense, right??

So I guess I'm not looking for the end-all solution, but does anyone have any suggestions to at least get the H2 to the dealer (or home for that matter) if it happens again? Is there an ignition-lock override or fuse to allow the key to turn?

mikejr
03-09-2007, 02:09 AM
from what i have read the ignition switch is the culprit in this situation, it will need to be replaced.

ttkresurfacing
03-09-2007, 04:13 AM
I believe if you take the bezel off around the shifter, that there is a button on the right side of the shifter to press in and allow to shift. That may help. You may want to search on here for a better description of where it is. But the problem more than likely is your ignition switch. I have had mine replaced 5 times and started acting up again last week. If it's not in warranty they charge right at $200.

Tim

The Juice
03-09-2007, 05:04 AM
I believe if you take the bezel off around the shifter, that there is a button on the right side of the shifter to press in and allow to shift.

Tim

You are an idiot. It's an ignition problem.

timgco
03-09-2007, 05:15 AM
You are an idiot. It's an ignition problem.

Stop picking on all the people named Tim on this board.

Gawd!:crying:

The Juice
03-09-2007, 05:47 AM
It's just a coincidence there Tiny Tim.

ttkresurfacing
03-09-2007, 06:21 AM
I know the switch is the problem but maybe if you read him saying, "So I guess I'm not looking for the end-all solution, but does anyone have any suggestions to at least get the H2 to the dealer (or home for that matter) if it happens again? Is there an ignition-lock override or fuse to allow the key to turn?" you wouldn't act like you know everything.

Tim

The Juice
03-09-2007, 08:54 AM
So to override the ignition you tell him to push the switch that overrides the shifter? The stupidity is stong with you.:OWNED:

ttkresurfacing
03-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Well to be able to move the truck at all if the switch goes out. He can unlock the shifter to tow it. If not he'd have to undo the driveshaft.

harisn9000
03-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Thanks to both of you. I hope you guys are actually friends and just jabbing each other. I'm hoping it is the ignition, because I bought the extended premium warranty and they said they would cover this part. I'll let ya'll know what I find out. We're just going to bite the bullet and take it in for inspection. Again, thanks for responding!!!

The Juice
03-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Ya we're friends but he doesn't know it. He does have a point when it comes to towing.

harisn9000
03-09-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm guessing he might have a little less angst towards you if you had a different picture. OJ isn't the kind of guy that warms up to everyone. Something about killin' yer wife doesn't appeal to the masses. Just a thought anyway.