PDA

View Full Version : Tie rod, Pitman and idler - PLEASE HELP

ducati996
04-05-2007, 06:27 PM
All,

I have a 2003 H2 with only 46K miles on it...Now the delaer says that the Tie rod, Pitman and idler arm need to be changed and they are calling it wear and tear and not covered by my extended warranty..Its gonna cos me close to $1000 to get it fixed....

a) Should I cough up and pay for the fix?
b) get a 2007 model with the 4 year warranty and get back 2500 in rebates
c) wait for the 2008?

Is this a know issue with hummers? I have 20" wheels on my H2 and the delaer is blaming the oversized wheels for the damage...

I would appriceate your help

Thanks

MarineHawk
04-05-2007, 06:32 PM
All,
I have a 2003 H2 with only 46K miles on it...Now the delaer says that the Tie rod, Pitman and idler arm need to be changed ... Is this a know issue with hummers?

Not that I'm aware of. From all I've heard, the stock tie rods are so strong they're nearly bomb proof.

I have 20" wheels on my H2 and the delaer is blaming the oversized wheels for the damage...

The only damage your 20" wheels have caused is to the collective reputation of H2 owners generally.;)

nmu98
04-05-2007, 07:05 PM
This is fairly common. More common if you offroad your rig.

There is also a 1550 dollar rebate now that they call a free sunroof, but it is also available if you dont get a roof. So there is more than just 2500....

the 08's will have a six speed.... It will not be the allison from what I hear... but.... the 397 HP would be nice, but til you drive the motor, and dont forget you are getting a first year tranny(most likely) and first year motor... The current 6.0 in its first years in the 2500hd had some issues with piston slap, and other cold start issues...

who knows. I bought an 07.... and I got just about 12K off the sticker with with the gm discount, dealer handouts, and rebates.

ducati996
04-05-2007, 07:06 PM
=) I got the mud grappler Nitto Tires on it with huge threads...so its not gettho fab :) with skinny tires....thanks for the feedback

Adam in CO
04-05-2007, 07:22 PM
The wheels don't make a difference. I switched to the Fabtech tie rods and have never had a problem with them. The pitman/idler have to be changed at least once a year but 1K is butt rape. I probably pay half that or less each time.

Tah2oe
04-05-2007, 07:58 PM
I just picked up my H2 today and had my Chevy dealer replace the idler arm, pitman arm, and install my Cognito idler arm/pitman arm support brackets, and install the Cognito idler arm pivot assembly.

Total charge parts and labor $351.50. I supplied the Cognito parts to them. They provided the stock replacement idler arm and pivot arm.

Tah2oe
04-05-2007, 07:59 PM
And I paid 69.95 for a front end alignment which was needed after the replacement.

So $421.45 total.

nmu98
04-05-2007, 08:09 PM
And I paid 69.95 for a front end alignment which was needed after the replacement.

So $421.45 total.

How far off was the alignment when you got done? Can you shoot some pics of it installed?

dochummer
04-06-2007, 05:13 AM
You can pick up new parts off of ebay for about $50-100 bucks... I just use the lifetime alignment at firestone...paid under $200 for it and have had 5 or 6 alignments done already...

OldHiker
04-06-2007, 05:06 PM
All,

I have a 2003 H2 with only 46K miles on it...Now the delaer says that the Tie rod, Pitman and idler arm need to be changed and they are calling it wear and tear and not covered by my extended warranty..Its gonna cos me close to $1000 to get it fixed....

a) Should I cough up and pay for the fix?
b) get a 2007 model with the 4 year warranty and get back 2500 in rebates
c) wait for the 2008?

Is this a know issue with hummers? I have 20" wheels on my H2 and the delaer is blaming the oversized wheels for the damage...

I would appriceate your help

Thanks

BS to the dealer. Last year I travelled cross-country and did some minor off-roading, then had issues. Brought it to a dealer that replaced them both, including ball joints at no charge under the GM Extened Warranty. I have 37" on mine.

Tell them to call GM. Or better yet, you call the person that sold you the extended warranty and let him handle it.

Tah2oe
04-06-2007, 05:09 PM
How far off was the alignment when you got done? Can you shoot some pics of it installed?

Not sure how much out of alignment it was when they got done but probably a lot since they took everything apart. Alignment is mandatory after all of this. Pictures are probably not going to work since the skid plate got reinstalled. It basically covers it all.

Tah2oe
04-06-2007, 05:10 PM
I'll have Adam crawl under there when I get to Moab and send him in with a camera.

Boss Hoss
04-06-2007, 06:10 PM
That sould be covered under your warranty. I just rolled over 40k on mine so im now in my GMPP and i just had the similar work done. I took mine to the local chevy dealership which has a hummer certified tech to do the work as my closest hummer dealership is significantly futher from my house. They changed out my stearing gear box, pitman and idler arms all of which covered under GMPP. Keep in mind i am also running 20's(MarineHawk.....20's can wheel just as well as 17's ;)), my rock sliders are scraped up and its very visible that i have wheeled this truck when it is on a lift.

On the same note, the dealer had to take my truck down the road to get the alignment done(also covered under warranty when replacing steering gear box/pitman arm) as my truck does not fit on their rack. The facility performing my alignment is well respected as having the best equipement in a 60-90mile radius. Apparently they cannot center my steering wheel perfect because my alignment would not be correct--reason being my frame is pretty well knocked up from wheeling. This was portrayed to the dealership and still no problem. I say bs on the part of the dealer--Old Hiker is right!

tower
08-02-2007, 09:01 AM
I agree with Boss & OH. That is BS. I've got about the same mileage as you and I got mine replaced under warranty. And my service dept certainly knows that I wheel. (Although, admittedly, I have stock wheels. But the dealers even sell H2's with 20" wheels.) I would go up the food chain. Try asking for a phone number for a GM Zone Manager.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
08-02-2007, 11:38 AM
My Mall Queen has never seen anything but pavement and had to replace pitman and idler with just shy of 10,000 miles on rig bought new. I have the Fabtech kit from PhilD custom painted Stealth Gray to match the rest of the undercarriage for show. I guess I will not have anymore trouble now.

TAZ

tomp
08-02-2007, 05:01 PM
All of he steering components should be covered in a standard drivetrain extended warranty, unless otherwise noted.

Mr. I - Man
08-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Get a warranty that covers wear and tear. hell they have replaced the whole upper control arm because the ball joint dust boot split.

Alan06SUT
08-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Not that I'm aware of. From all I've heard, the stock tie rods are so strong they're nearly bomb proof.

The only damage your 20" wheels have caused is to the collective reputation of H2 owners generally.;)

:giggling: :giggling: :giggling: .

Wait for the 2008 and ride out another 5k on your worn out stuff until then! It doesnt seem to be your DD anyway! Dont blame me though if your steering comes apart while doing 70 on the highway!:D