PDA

View Full Version : H2 SUV Removing rear tire?

MajorGeek
04-10-2007, 09:33 PM
I want to remove the tire holder, is there a kit to replace the hooks and fill the holes in with bolts, figure out what to do with the wires, etc, or do you just do it and its that simple?

Anyone done it that has pics?

MajorGeek
04-11-2007, 12:13 AM
Went and looked again just to be clear. Looks like if I remove it, I will need to replace the tow hooks, no problem. Then there is the cable for the tire mount to swing and the license plate light, those would be the 2 problems, relocating the license plate light and covering the other hole. Any insight?

blockrockin
04-11-2007, 12:44 AM
at pep boys their are black groments of different sizes. just get the ones that will fit in the holes. you can also put alittle silicon in with them to keep them in their.. works great and you cant really see them when you are done. as far as the liecense plate i guess you have a newer h2 . you could buy a lieasense plate pocket from a older model h2 ..off ebay that had the plate on the hatch door..and replace yours with that one... and you should be all set. good luck.

mikejr
04-12-2007, 12:53 AM
i think some have removed the swing away and replaced it with the prior years retrieval hooks and the prior years license plate holder. I know i've seen pics somewhere of a plate mount on the bumper. I just cannot recall where. I know this subject is on here somewhere.

MajorGeek
04-12-2007, 01:28 AM
Scary :) I asked the accessory store at my dealership (large place, good guys I have dealt with for years) and he claims after a phone call or two he has the license plate holder, light, tow hooks and plugs coming. This after I suggested that Hummer sold them like this, so we just need the Hummer parts to restore it the other way... I will know in a few days. Yes, its a brand new 07 block.

For those looking, there is a kit available by Real Wheels as mikejr mentioned. It comes with the chrome hooks and the passenger side hook has an extension to hold the license plate with a light built in and a plug to fill the other hole. Pretty easy fix, but for me I didnt want chrome and didnt want the empty license plate frame.

jmsspratlin
04-12-2007, 06:20 AM
Scary :) I asked the accessory store at my dealership (large place, good guys I have dealt with for years) and he claims after a phone call or two he has the license plate holder, light, tow hooks and plugs coming. This after I suggested that Hummer sold them like this, so we just need the Hummer parts to restore it the other way... I will know in a few days. Yes, its a brand new 07 block.

For those looking, there is a kit available by Real Wheels as mikejr mentioned. It comes with the chrome hooks and the passenger side hook has an extension to hold the license plate with a light built in and a plug to fill the other hole. Pretty easy fix, but for me I didnt want chrome and didnt want the empty license plate frame.

Post some pics when you're done. I was contemplating the idea as well. To me, it just looks cleaner. Are you going to put the spare in the back or just leave it at home and pray all goes well? Jamie

kauaiboy
04-12-2007, 10:17 PM
here is what i did with my 06 H2 SUV coz i also like the look without the rear tire carrier and spare tire in the back...bought a set of SS rear tow hooks from Realwheels...i was going to cover the hole where the word HUMMER is but decided not to...for the rear license plate, i drilled 2 holes on the rear license plate mount (black piece)...no need for the plate lites during the night!!!!

blockrockin
04-12-2007, 10:50 PM
you could also use the old hole to mount a rear backup camera.

dеiтайожни
04-12-2007, 10:53 PM
no need for the plate lites during the night!!!!

Why not? Doesn't the stock rear door plate holder have a light on it? I'd assume you'd need to add the plate light to your modified plate holder as well.

mikejr
04-13-2007, 01:48 AM
so once you remove the rear tire you are going to put the spare where? On the roof or on the inside? Or will you just run without the spare?

HUM GOOD
04-13-2007, 03:04 AM
Here's what I did when I took off the wheel swing. Rewired the camera plate through the hatch. Left the grommet in the hole. I got billet hooks and a waag bumper gaurd.
I'm actually changing back - I'm getting 37" tires and will need the 5th wheel. I ran without my spare for 2 years. Plug kit was all I carried.

If your interested in the bumper guard and hooks, pm me. They will be going up for sale next week.

kauaiboy
04-14-2007, 02:15 AM
i believe 2006 H2 SUV models has no lights pre-wired for rear license plate holder....