PDA

View Full Version : MOAB GOING BYE BYE ?????

HummBebe
04-19-2007, 08:28 PM
http://durbin.senate.gov/record.cfm?id=272633

DURBIN TO REINTRODUCE BILL TO PROTECT AMERICA'S RED ROCK WILDERNESS

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

[WASHINGTON, D.C.] - U.S. Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) said today that he will introduce legislation in the Senate this week to protect America's Red Rock Wilderness, approximately 9.4 million acres of spectacular and rare wilderness in southern Utah. Currently managed by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), the agency is not prohibited from selling, leasing or building roads in parts of this publicly held land. An identical bill was introduced in the House by U.S. Representative Maurice Hinchey (D-NY) today.
"Sunday is Earth Day and it is a fitting opportunity for all Americans to rededicate themselves to protecting our nation's natural resources," Durbin said. "I encourage the Senate to do its part as well by supporting the America's Red Rock Wilderness Act, critical legislation that will preserve a national treasure for future generations of Americans."
Durbin's bill would designate 9.4 millions acres in Utah as wilderness under the 1964 Wilderness Act. The bill provides wilderness protection for wildlands, which include steep red rock canyons, enormous arches and towering cliffs with spectacular vistas of unmatched sandstone landscapes. Hidden within this expansive setting are world-renowned archeological sites and habitat for rare plant and animal species. These areas are a haven for those seeking solace in nature, including hikers, backpackers and recreationists.
The lands designated as wilderness in Durbin and Hinchey's legislation were primarily identified through a detailed and extensive public inventory of BLM lands conducted by volunteers from the Utah Wilderness Coalition. By designating certain areas as wilderness, the bill protects them from new commercial enterprise/development, oil and gas exploration, motorized/mechanized vehicles, and road building. Non-consumptive uses such as hunting, fishing, camping, backpacking, hiking, and horseback riding are permitted under the legislation. "I believe it is the responsibility of Congress to ensure that these fragile lands of magnificent beauty, which already belong to the public, do not fall victim to oil, gas and mining interests, increased commercial development, and proposals to construct roads, utility lines, and dams. We are the stewards of these creations and our legislation will help achieve this important goal," Durbin concluded.

FAWKERS!!!......everyone needs to write their congressperson/represenative TODAY!!!

JOIN THE MOAB PARTNERSHIP TODAY!!!!

HummBebe
04-19-2007, 09:40 PM
Will this help?

Dear Mr. Durbin,

I read the announcement today regarding your intent to re-introduce a bill protecting America's red rock deserts.

I am an avid camper, sightseer, and lover of the environment. However, I see all the sights and travel to all these spectacular places in my 4-wheel drive vehicle.

I am asking that you do not close the off road vehicle trails in Moab, Utah. I am an avid four-wheeler, and we ARE stewards of the LAND. We care about the environment. We are legitimate responsible recreationists and should be recognized as such.

I can agree with the halt in the new commercial enterprise/development, oil and gas exploration, and road building, but you make yourself out to be an elitist when you exclude 4-wheel drive recreation from the list of "non-consumptive" recreationists.

How are motorized/mechanized vehicles "consumptive" in the red rock desert or anywhere else for that matter?

Respectfully,
Your name here...

I'm not that great a letter writing, and this one is sort of personal, so please change it if you'd like.

Contact Senator Durbin here:

http://durbin.senate.gov/contact.cfm#contact (http://durbin.senate.gov/contact.cfm#contact)

HummBebe
04-19-2007, 10:02 PM
Hinchey Introduces Bill To Protect America's Red Rock Wilderness

Bill Enjoys Broad, Bipartisan Support;
Would Safeguard 9.4 Million Acres Of Public Land In Utah

Washington, DC - In an effort to preserve 9.4 million acres of Utah's spectacular red rock country as wilderness, Congressman Maurice Hinchey (D-NY) today introduced legislation in the House that would ensure the public land remains in its natural, undeveloped state. Hinchey's bipartisan America's Red Rock Wilderness Act, which was introduced with 123 cosponsors, would protect the land from commercial development, motorized vehicles, road building, as well as oil and gas drilling. Currently, the U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) owns the 9.4 million acres, but the agency is not prohibited from selling part of the land for development or developing parts itself.

"This bill would protect a natural treasure by designating a portion of Utah?s spectacular red rock country as permanent wilderness," said Hinchey, who sits on the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Interior and the House Natural Resources Committee. "These 9.4 million acres largely look the way they did millions of years ago -- no roads, no buildings, and no oil rigs -- and I intend to keep them that way. With so much development and sprawl all across our country, it is important that we preserve part of our country in its natural state so that this and future generations can enjoy some of the most splendid natural beauty that our country has to offer."

The publicly owned wild places of Utah are world-renowned for their spectacular beauty, with deep, narrow red rock canyons, fantastic sandstone arches, tremendous open vistas, and wild rivers. Currently, less than one-half of one percent (0.005) of Utah?s BLM public lands are protected as wilderness. Nowhere else in the lower 48 states can such intact wilderness-quality lands be found. These areas are a haven for outdoor recreationists, backpackers, hikers, wildlife enthusiasts, and many more. The red rock area is also rich with archeological remnants of prehistoric cultures.

Hinchey's bill and the original version introduced by former Utah Congressman Wayne Owens in 1989 are based on an extensive survey conducted by volunteers from the Utah Wilderness Coalition (UWC). This public inventory, called the ?UWC Citizen?s Proposal,? found that the BLM had overlooked or ignored vast areas of wild country in the agency?s original inventory. As additional inventory work has been conducted for the Citizen?s Proposal, the America?s Red Rock Wilderness Act has been updated to reflect the latest findings. The new version of the bill proposes protections for roughly 9.4 million acres of BLM public land in Utah; this acreage adjusts for the unusual designation of a wilderness area last year, but also for the loss of some wild lands to oil and gas drilling.

The America's Red Rock Wilderness Act would ensure the 9.4 million acres in Utah remain wild in their natural state, and strictly prohibit mining, road and dam construction, off-road vehicle use, and other activities that would destroy the area's special character. Non-consumptive uses such as hunting, fishing, camping, backpacking, hiking, and horseback riding would be permitted and grazing rights existing at the time of any wilderness designation would also be unaffected.

"Given the choice of opening these precious acres of red rock for more oil and gas drilling or preserving them in their natural state for all Americans to enjoy with recreational activities, I am extremely confident that the public would overwhelmingly choose to protect the land," Hinchey said. "Production hasn't even begun on millions of beautiful acres in Utah that the federal government has leased to energy companies for oil and gas development, which is why it makes no sense to give away millions more. Energy companies are gobbling up leases in red rock country right now while they have an oil friendly administration in the White House. We're going to do everything we can to stop this free-for-all lease sale before it's too late and ensure that this beautiful land is safeguarded."
Hinchey has introduced the America's Red Rock Wilderness Act for the past 12 years. U.S. Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) plans to introduce an identical version of the bill in the Senate tomorrow.

The measure is endorsed by the Sierra Club, the Wilderness Society, the Natural Resources Defense Council, the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance in Utah, and more than 240 local and national conservation groups with the Utah Wilderness Coalition.

HummBebe
04-19-2007, 11:30 PM
YOUR NAME
YOUR ADDRESS
YOUR CONTACT
INFORMATION

To:
ALL SENATORS/YOUR CONGRESSMAN
2431 Rayburn H.O.B.
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-6335
Fax: (202) 226-0774

Dear (YOUR CONGRESSMAN/SENATORS NAME HERE),

Regarding the introduction of America?s Red Rock Desert Act:

I am a camper, sightseer, lover of nature, its serenity, solace, and beauty, and am concerned with the environment. However, I see all the sights and travel to all these spectacular places in my 4-wheel drive vehicle.

I am asking that you do not close the off road vehicle trails in Moab, Utah. I have to inform you, that you and the groups that are sponsoring this bill are completely miss-informed. Off road enthusiasts DO care about the environment. We belong to organization such as The Blue Ribbon Coalition, Tread Lightly, United Four Wheel Drive Association, and WE ARE STEWARDS of the LAND.

We are legitimate responsible recreationists and should be recognized as such.

I understand preservation and protection, but you make yourself out to be an ignorant and uninformed elitist when you exclude 4-wheel drive recreation from the list of "non-consumptive" recreationists.

How do Hunters, fisherman, kayakers, hikers, equestrians and mountain bikers get to these incredible destinations? Most of them must drive, and a majority of them use an off-road-able four-wheel drive vehicle.

How are motorized/mechanized vehicles "consumptive" in the red rock desert or anywhere else for that matter?

Respectfully,

YOUR NAME HERE

BlueHUMMERH2
04-20-2007, 01:47 AM
Ugh, don't they have anything better to do then take away our public lands? :mad:

MarineHawk
04-20-2007, 03:58 AM
You guys should learn to love mother nature rather than trying to abuse it with your obscenely massive machines.:p

HummBebe
04-20-2007, 04:10 AM
You guys should learn to love mother nature rather than trying to abuse it with your obscenely massive machines.:p

Does that comment come with a letter to your Senator and Congressmen??

:fdance: :fdance: :fdance: :fdance: :fdance: :fdance: :fdance: :fdance: :fdance:

Sewie
04-20-2007, 04:54 AM
Why don't these fawkers worry about their own states?!?!? :rant: :rolleyes:

MarineHawk
04-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Does that comment come with a letter to your Senator and Congressmen??

:fdance: :fdance: :fdance: :fdance: :fdance: :fdance: :fdance: :fdance: :fdance:

Laugh all you want. You guys are going to wear down Moab with your aired-down tires and violent skid plates until it looks like this:

NEOCON1
04-20-2007, 07:25 PM

everyone wants to fhuk with the Moab :clapping: that would be the biggest economic disaster for our lil town :fdance: . where would the jeepers go and who will buy my wood . thanx to the jeepers i had a $1,700.00 week when my average week is about $300.00 granted i only have to work 2 to 3 days :p

usetosellhummer
04-20-2007, 08:55 PM
sent! It better stay open long enough for me to wheel it

NEOCON1
04-20-2007, 09:41 PM
i just sent him this from his web site :giggling: :giggling:

dear senator ,
i live in Moab and love to 4-wheel . i think that your plan to stop us is terrible . why dont you fix your state instead of trying to get the sierra club vote .
My friends and I are great stewards of the land and think it is as important to the current generations as future ones .
sincerly , steve clark , Moab Utah

DennisAJC
04-20-2007, 10:11 PM
thanx to the jeepers i had a $1,700.00 week when my average week is about $300.00 granted i only have to work 2 to 3 days :p

:perfect10s: :clapping: Bastard!

DRTYFN
04-21-2007, 12:26 AM
Because everybody else's business is more interesting.

HummBebe
04-21-2007, 02:24 AM
SUWA - America's Red Rock Wilderness Act
http://www.suwa.org/site/PageServer?pagename=work_arwa (http://www.suwa.org/site/PageServer?pagename=work_arwa)

Southern Utah Wilderness Alliancehttp://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/images/smilies/pissed.gif

Quote:
America's Red Rock Wilderness Act

America's Red Rock Wilderness Act seeks to serve the public interest by permanently protecting more than 9 million acres of wilderness-quality land in Utah. The proposal, based on an exhaustive field inventory conducted by citizen volunteers, was first introduced in Congress by former Utah Representative Wayne Owens in 1989. Representative Maurice Hinchey (D-NY) assumed the role of House sponsor in 1993 and Senator Richard Durbin (D-IL) introduced the Senate version in 1997.

With each new Congress (every two years), the bill has been reintroduced with steadily increasing bipartisan support. The 110th Congress represents a real opportunity to gather the support and momentum needed to hold congressional hearings and ultimately pass America?s Red Rock Wilderness Act. Our goal is to reach 218 House cosponsors of the bill (more than half the House membership) -- an important step in passing this legislation.

All lands proposed for wilderness designation in America's Red Rock Wilderness Act are owned by the American public and administered by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). The bill is supported by SUWA, the Wasatch Mountain Club, the Sierra Club, The Wilderness Society, the Natural Resources Defense Council, and more than 200 other national and regional conservation organizations belonging to the Utah Wilderness Coalition.
Here is the text of the House Bill HR1774
http://www.suwa.org/site/DocServer/A....pdf?docID=682 (http://www.suwa.org/site/DocServer/ARWA_HR1774.pdf?docID=682)

And the Senate S882
http://www.suwa.org/site/DocServer/A....pdf?docID=683 (http://www.suwa.org/site/DocServer/ARWA_S882.pdf?docID=683)

These are last bills, this years bill are not yet available.

MarineHawk
04-21-2007, 03:28 AM
i just sent him this from his web site :giggling: :giggling:

dear senator ,
i live in Moab and love to 4-wheel . i think that your plan to stop us is terrible . why dont you fix your state instead of trying to get the sierra club vote .
My friends and I are great stewards of the land and think it is as important to the current generations as future ones .
sincerly , steve clark , Moab Utah

I'm mostly joking here Neo, but you should probably punctuate differently when you write a U.S. Senator. Otherwise, he'll figure you're just going to pull the wrong lever in the booth anyway.

NEOCON1
04-21-2007, 04:04 AM
I'm mostly joking here Neo, but you should probably punctuate differently when you write a U.S. Senator. Otherwise, he'll figure you're just going to pull the wrong lever in the booth anyway.

punctuation is highly over rated :giggling:

your right but it was from the heart ;)

i should of signed it neocon1:jump:

K9sH3
04-21-2007, 04:58 AM

Hey, out of all of us, You should know who to speak with and to whom we should really be directing our energy.
Please lend a hand in this... I know you know who I know. :beerchug:

MarineHawk
04-21-2007, 05:48 AM
Hey, out of all of us, You should know who to speak with and to whom we should really be directing our energy.
Please lend a hand in this... I know you know who I know. :beerchug:

My firm is primarily a lobbying firm, though I'm a litigator. They are some of the best at what they do, but they're all way overworked with clients paying them upwards of $700/hr. They're about as likely to put on overalls and repair my roof as they are to do some free lobbying work for me. Unfortunately, spending money is the only way to get lobbying done. And I mean lots of it.

HummBebe
04-21-2007, 06:28 AM
My firm is primarily a lobbying firm, though I'm a litigator. They are some of the best at what they do, but they're all way overworked with clients paying them upwards of $700/hr. They're about as likely to put on overalls and repair my roof as they are to do some free lobbying work for me. Unfortunately, spending money is the only way to get lobbying done. And I mean lots of it.

Give them the heads up.......Moab Partmership could be giving them a call.

Speaking of Lobby:

It occured to me that the "Big 3" all have a stake in this. GM, Chrysler and Ford have all sunk a ton of money into developing off road capable vehicles. How likely would it be that we could enlist them for help in this fight?

NEOCON1
04-21-2007, 01:51 PM
you probably scared the intern that reads these to death :clapping:

K9sH3
04-21-2007, 04:14 PM
you probably scared the intern that reads these to death :clapping:

:giggling:

:beerchug:

MarineHawk
04-21-2007, 11:20 PM
Give them the heads up.......Moab Partmership could be giving them a call.

Speaking of Lobby:

It occured to me that the "Big 3" all have a stake in this. GM, Chrysler and Ford have all sunk a ton of money into developing off road capable vehicles. How likely would it be that we could enlist them for help in this fight?

I think we need to create a fund enlisting all of the like-minded interests. I'll contribute.

HummBebe
04-21-2007, 11:51 PM
So, in your professional opinion, which of the org. listed here are the most effective?

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24388

Blue Ribbon Coalition seems to have one of the only attorneys, USA-ALL, I think has the best organisation, I just wish they were national.

f5fstop
04-23-2007, 12:53 AM
It appears to me that this law would prevent the disabled from driving out and seeing the country in their handicapped equipped Hummer. It may sound silly, but it might work, if they take away any areas that are currently accessible via a road.

(I would write my senators, but neither will read any of my emails or letters. Carl Levin and Debbie Stabbanow, two of the biggest Liberal POS senators on the planet. I have written them about illegal aliens, gun control, how unions SUCK, and lately, I have stopped receiving replies.)

NEOCON1
04-24-2007, 02:48 AM
nav just sent this :clapping:

Dear Senators, Congresspeople, President Bush, Vice President Cheney, Utah State Representatives, Utah Governor Huntsman,

Regarding the introduction of America?s Red Rock Desert Act, Moab Utah

First of all, I LIVE IN MOAB, Utah. I moved here from Southern California 6 months ago for many reasons, but mostly because of the areas that are accessable in a 4 wheel drive vehicle, horseback, bicycle, etc. and the beauty of the red rock. I am a camper, sightseer, lover of nature and animals, its serenity and solace, and am concerned with the environment. However, I see all the sights and travel to all these spectacular places in my 4-wheel drive vehicle.

I am asking that you do not close the off road vehicle trails in Moab, Utah. I have to inform you, that you and the groups that are sponsoring this bill are completely miss-informed. Off road enthusiasts DO care about the environment. We belong to organization such as The Blue Ribbon Coalition, Tread Lightly, United Four Wheel Drive Association, and WE ARE STEWARDS of the LAND. We obey the laws that are already in place, including but not limited to respecting the cryptobiotic crust and the animals that make it and bring the red rock desert alive with other plants and animals.

We are legitimate responsible recreationists and should be recognized as such.

I understand preservation and protection, but you make yourself out to be an ignorant and uninformed elitist when you exclude 4-wheel drive recreation from the list of "non-consumptive" recreationists.

How do hunters, fisherman, kayakers, hikers, equestrians and mountain bikers get to these incredible destinations? Most of them must drive, and a majority of them use an off-road-able four-wheel drive vehicle. The businesses that do off-road tours with motorcycles and quads, bicycles and rafters, runners and horseback riders, all drive 4 wheel vehicles to get to the spots they want to explore and enjoy. Living here in Moab I see them very frequently heading out to the trails in these vehicles.

Like I stated before, I LIVE IN MOAB. This is a tourist town and the "outfitters", hotels, stores, grocery stores, restaurants, etc. make most of their money within a few months out of the year. We have huge, world class events such as the Skinny Tire Festival, The Half Marathon, April Action Car Show and the largest is Jeep Safari and many other special events. People come here from all over the world and ship their trucks, bikes, etc. from overseas to experience what Moab has to offer them. Other businesses are open year round. I work at a local hotel and shop in local stores. They would all go out of business if this act passes, and Moab would be a ghost town, and that would mean that I would have to move from this beautiful place. There is no big industry here and we like it that way. It's small town living.

It's not fair to the citizens of Utah that someone from another state is wanting to pass this act. They don't raise their children here, they don't pay taxes here, THEY DON'T LIVE AND WORK HERE!. I don't know that any of them have even visited Moab. Therefore, I cannot support this Act. The Congresspeople involved have no business sticking their noses into our states business. They should be concentrating on making their own state better before looking to close the trails that we enjoy, respect and protect here in Moab, Utah.

Respectfully,

beebs she modded yours a lil :cool:

she found a site that mails all of them and the white house too. and the governor and Moab reps :jump:

HummBebe
04-24-2007, 03:00 AM
Awesome Nav....:D

Link please....

MarineHawk
04-24-2007, 03:05 AM
You guys are a bunch of capitalist, imperialist, nature-hatin' earth maulers.

NEOCON1
04-24-2007, 03:06 AM
Awesome Nav....:D

Link please....

Hey Beebs, Nav here. Thanks for the head start on the letter. I'm going to print it out and send it to my Mom and the family will also send letters from "home".

Link: http://www.congress.org/congressorg/officials/congress/?district=02&azip=84532&state=UT&bzip=3145

If you enter your zip plus 4, it'll bring up CA reps for your area.

NEOCON1
04-24-2007, 03:13 AM
You guys are a bunch of capitalist, imperialist, nature-hatin' earth maulers.

and lovin every minute of it :jump: :beerchug:

MarineHawk
04-24-2007, 03:19 AM
So, in your professional opinion, which of the org. listed here are the most effective?

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24388

I hate to cynically oversimplify, and I might be overlooking something, but I'd say the best bet is/are the one(s) that can raise the most money. E.g., the N.R.A. gets what it wants because it spends truckloads of cash it raises from members on campaigns and issue-specific lobbying. The guys I work with know the right people and methods to get things through Congress--I work on the same floor as a former U.S. Senator who knows this game like the back of his hand. There are other good lobbying shops as well. But they all sell their highly-specialized skills and connections for ridiculously-high fees. The former Senator left the U.S. Senate because he could make $zillions doing this kind of thing. If you pay guys like that a sh!t wad of money, they will push your cause effectively. That's the only real lobbying trick I know. Though there may be other ways to go about it. I'm just a lowly litigator from Kansas.

HummBebe
04-24-2007, 03:30 AM
Hey Beebs, Nav here. Thanks for the head start on the letter. I'm going to print it out and send it to my Mom and the family will also send letters from "home".

Link: http://www.congress.org/congressorg/officials/congress/?district=02&azip=84532&state=UT&bzip=3145

If you enter your zip plus 4, it'll bring up CA reps for your area.

That's SWEET!!! Thank you.:clapping:

HummBebe
04-24-2007, 03:39 AM
I hate to cynically oversimplify, and I might be overlooking something, but I'd say the best bet is/are the one(s) that can raise the most money. E.g., the N.R.A. gets what it wants because it spends truckloads of cash it raises from members on campaigns and issue-specific lobbying. The guys I work with know the right people and methods to get things through Congress--I work on the same floor as a former U.S. Senator who knows this game like the back of his hand. There are other good lobbying shops as well. But they all sell their highly-specialized skills and connections for ridiculously-high fees. The former Senator left the U.S. Senate because he could make $zillions doing this kind of thing. If you pay guys like that a sh!t wad of money, they will push your cause effectively. That's the only real lobbying trick I know. Though there may be other ways to go about it. I'm just a lowly litigator from Kansas.

Is getting them through the same as getting them stopped? I'm going to assume yes.

Our sport is so small, I can see now with this new "perspective" that all outdoorsman, 4 wheelers, motorcyclists, hunters, anglers, campers, snomobilers, ATV'ers and mountainbikers, anyone who has an interest in utilizing public land on wheels, needs to come together with a common goal.

To keep our public lands accessible.

Thanks.

frenzy1
04-24-2007, 06:41 AM
lose the trucks !!!!

http://www.dreamride.com/images/sidebar/moab5dayside.jpg

:jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :twak: :clapping:

CrisB
04-27-2007, 03:45 PM
(I would write my senators, but neither will read any of my emails or letters. Carl Levin and Debbie Stabbanow, two of the biggest Liberal POS senators on the planet. I have written them about illegal aliens, gun control, how unions SUCK, and lately, I have stopped receiving replies.)

X2, damn leaf-lickers....but I'll still send the letters in the hope they get off their fat a$$es & pay attention to their constituents.

RuggedH2
04-27-2007, 05:12 PM
That's the problem, millions of acres of Utah has been declared " protected wilderness" by Federal lawmakers in the last decade.

Utah is overwhelmingly conservative. Therefore many liberal lawmakers feel they must protect us from ourselves, by enacting laws to restrict us from using the land where we live. The Utah lawmakers vote against the legislation but lose, because they don't have the numbers like those in California.

Most of the liberals will never visit the land they have deemed "off limits" to everyone else.

KenP
08-14-2007, 09:05 PM
Is it still there?

usetosellhummer
08-14-2007, 09:09 PM
I hope I get to wheel it befroe it closes:crying:

KenP
08-14-2007, 09:19 PM
I hope I get to wheel it befroe it closes:crying:No kidding. If they close Moab, what are they going to do with all the business's and waht about Neo's house? He's probably pissed.

Just imagine coming home from work one day and having a big old CLOSED sign at the end of your driveway. :eek: