PDA

View Full Version : DVD/Headrest aftermarket upgrade from Ebay?

waikikiTed
04-22-2007, 04:23 AM
anyone familiar with this setup or this seller? The system looks interesting - My ultimate concern is that are the headrests true OEM leather, but he does state that they are.

I'd like to add this option, but it's an expense for nothing other than a frill I wont really need, so an inexpensive (relatively) option like this is appealing.

Thanks for your input.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HUMMER-H2-HEADREST-LCD-XXXL-PACKAGE-EBONY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38650QQihZ017QQit emZ270016638729

blockrockin
04-22-2007, 05:13 AM
i checked out someone that got them and they looked nice looked like factory headrests to me.. you should be able to find a good deal on them.. you probably can even find then for less than that. but yeah they would look great.!

waikikiTed
04-22-2007, 05:34 AM
soooooo tempting.

f5fstop
04-22-2007, 01:59 PM
My ultimate concern is that are the headrests true OEM leather, but he does state that they are.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HUMMER-H2-HEADREST-LCD-XXXL-PACKAGE-EBONY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38650QQihZ017QQit emZ270016638729

I have never pulled the design drawings for the H2 headrests, but I would be willing to bet a lunch, they are NOT LEATHER.

WHOSNEXT
04-22-2007, 02:23 PM
I have never pulled the design drawings for the H2 headrests, but I would be willing to bet a lunch, they are NOT LEATHER.

I have a set, they look OEM and they are not leather....

waikikiTed
04-22-2007, 06:24 PM
I have a set, they look OEM and they are not leather....

WHOSNEXT: Did you buy them from the same guy? Also, are they noticably different from you read headrests? Main thing is I dont want them to look out of place in the vehicle.

Here's the reply he sent me:

Hi! These are actual OEM headrest.. Out of HUMMER. The leather is a perfect match, No after market headrest material.

He might be flat out lying, I don't know. It does seem to low a price for these to be actual Hummer leather. And I remember the old saying...."If its too good to be true then it probably is......................"

blockrockin
04-22-2007, 07:33 PM
they probably are oem.. beacuse alote of people trade in their original headrests.. and get ones with monitors in them.. you can get oem ones on ebay for 20 or 30 bucks.. so i think they probably are the real headrested that he installs the monitors in.. the monitors might not be the best . but the ones ive seen look pretty nice.

waikikiTed
04-22-2007, 08:25 PM
. the monitors might not be the best . but the ones ive seen look pretty nice.

That's reassuring. I'm not worried about them being the best of quality.... not like I'll see them anyway. Its for the little guy. I just want my headrests to remain looking consistent in the vehicle.

blockrockin
04-22-2007, 08:41 PM
looks like he is using fahrenheit lcd monitors which arent to bad you could buy your own monitors for about 100 bucks each

http://cgi.ebay.com/FARENHEIT-T-7000MHR-7-COLOR-TFT-LCD-HEADREST-MONITOR_W0QQitemZ250106272680QQihZ015QQcategoryZ94 848QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and install them yourself in your headrest you have now, you would just need a dvd player for them for 75 bucks or so.. if you wanted to do that.

waikikiTed
04-22-2007, 09:06 PM
install them yourself in your headrest you have now, you would just need a dvd player for them for 75 bucks or so.. if you wanted to do that.

Im definfitely not opposed to doing that, but I couldnt find any guides to how to accomplish this via DIY. Any info or links you have explaining how to mod one's headrests?

blockrockin
04-22-2007, 09:22 PM
yeah ive done them before its not to hard.. it would be nice if you had one to practice on frist.. ill dig up some directions for you to take a look.

waikikiTed
04-22-2007, 09:26 PM
thanks!

Cuz here's what Im thinking then, if I could do it myself, Id get one of the set from Ebay with the combo DVD built into the LCD, and remove them from the generic headrest. Then reinstall it into my H2 headrest and then run the cables down, tapping into the feed to the read lighter socket.

I want it to look good, but be simple. The self contained players seem nice as they dont have the need to run IR repeaters for the headphones or remotes, as well as then finding a place to mount the DVD that easily accessible to insert discs.

This could be just what I need!

blockrockin
04-22-2007, 10:15 PM
here is one way to install the head rest monitors. you might be able to fit the dvd player in the armrest compartment area. or if you dont use your onstar you could put a dvd player in their also.

http://www.audioinmotion.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=14

RichS
04-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Im definfitely not opposed to doing that, but I couldnt find any guides to how to accomplish this via DIY. Any info or links you have explaining how to mod one's headrests?Watch any episode of Unique Whips on Speed channel. :popcorn:

WHOSNEXT
04-23-2007, 02:08 AM
WHOSNEXT: Did you buy them from the same guy? Also, are they noticably different from you read headrests? Main thing is I dont want them to look out of place in the vehicle.

same guy, they look OEM, im very happy.......

mikejr
04-23-2007, 02:35 AM
they look OEM, but I am not 100% sure that the head rests are leather in Hummer. I believe its just the seating surfaces that are leather. I could be wrong though.

blockrockin
04-23-2007, 03:29 AM
yeah i agree .. i think its just the seats.

waikikiTed
04-23-2007, 04:02 AM
You are probably right about the rests not being leather. Im gone for the week so have no access to my baby to even know.

Main thing is I guess I want is for them all to match thruout the rig.

WHOSNEXT
04-23-2007, 02:43 PM
they look OEM, but I am not 100% sure that the head rests are leather in Hummer. I believe its just the seating surfaces that are leather. I could be wrong though.

Your right, I cut into my OEM headrest to add a screen for the single seat way out back and it was the same material as the ones you are looking at.

Butch_2
04-27-2007, 07:06 PM
I have a set from same ebay seller
not high end but its worth the price installed for a year now no problems

waikikiTed
04-28-2007, 07:28 AM
Butch, How did you decide to install the DVD player from the guy on Ebay? And how did you tap it into the stereo system?

OrangeCrush
04-29-2007, 06:14 AM
I have those same headrests. They are well worth the money if you have children. Mine died over a year later and he replaced the dvd player and a complete set of headrests for about 60 bucks.

I have a 9 and 12 y/o and don't mind telling anyone that expects their kids to do stupid things like stick their fingers in the screens to buy these.

For the money, they work excellent and was worth every penny. The headrests are out of an H2 and match exactly.

I am by no mean comparing these to a set of 1400 invision screens but for the difference between the two... it's not worth spending the extra money. I don't watch them, the kids do.

Mark

waikikiTed
04-29-2007, 07:54 AM
They are well worth the money if you have children. Mine died over a year later -Mark

MARK!!!

I had to reread that line a couple times!!!! you almost had me in tears for a second!!!! :crying:

(then the fog cleared and I realized that you meant the monitors!!)
:twak:

OrangeCrush
04-30-2007, 03:24 AM
MARK!!!

I had to reread that line a couple times!!!! you almost had me in tears for a second!!!! :crying:

(then the fog cleared and I realized that you meant the monitors!!)
:twak:

:jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

OMFG, that was hilarious...

Mark

Butch_2
05-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Butch, How did you decide to install the DVD player from the guy on Ebay? And how did you tap it into the stereo system?

I installed dvd in the center console used power from rear cig. lighter .Dvd player has built in fm tx for audio thro.stereo
Kids use infra red head phones (I love it wife and i have conversations with out kids butting in ):giggling:

waikikiTed
05-02-2007, 04:47 AM
Cool. I didnt think the DVD was small enuff to fit in the center console. Good to know. Thanks!

Butch_2
05-02-2007, 06:23 PM
ask seller for dvd that can be mounted vertical .
he changed it out for me

Hummer Geek
05-07-2007, 07:12 PM
I bought from the seller 2 years ago. Nice guy but the setup was a waste of money. In short time, the screens shorted out and the DVD player was so large, there was nowhere to install it. I ended up installing by the third row seat.
Treat yourself-get a Vizualogic.