PDA

View Full Version : Pitting Chrome Wheels

mikejr
04-23-2007, 02:32 AM
I just detailed the H2 and after the winter my stock chrome wheels are pitting.

Has anyone had this issue and if so, is this something the dealer will replace under warranty?

I used some chrome polish on them and it got rid of the black oxidation around the pits but the pits are still there and visible.

waikikiTed
04-23-2007, 04:04 AM
That's be all the excuse I'd need to get me some wicked after market rims! Maybe some ProComp X-Terrain on em as well.

drmiles
04-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Time to black powder coat :clapping:

drmiles
04-23-2007, 12:50 PM
Salt on roads where you live? Probably not warranty, however if your dealer is good you can usually get them to help.

WHOSNEXT
04-23-2007, 02:31 PM
I have read that some dealers are replacing wheels that are pitting, where are they pitting? On the smooth surface or rough?

genob
04-23-2007, 04:24 PM
i thought i was the only one having that problem. i bought my 2k7 h2 in feb. and the wheels are pitting like crazy.

since i'm in pittsburgh, we have all kinds of salt on the roads during the winter.

the winters here trashed my 300c's wheels!! they went from chrome to black.

anyway, i was going to call my dealer, but i figured they would give me the "salt on the roads" excuse...

mikejr
04-23-2007, 05:26 PM
I am in Pittsburgh too....so salt on the roads is the norm in the winter.

They are only pitting on the rough/textured areas of the wheel and it seems like its more concentrated towards the inner portion where the holes are. With about an hour worth of work on each wheel i got the black oxidation off, but you can still see the pitting/bumps where its raised up the chrome. Nothing like making a $60K truck look shabby!

mikejr
04-23-2007, 05:27 PM
Hey Genob....what dealer did you buy yours from? Wright or Cochran? I got mine over at Wright.

genob
04-23-2007, 05:54 PM
hey mike,

I bought my hummer @ Wright in Wexford around Feb 2007.

I actually live closer to Cochran, but they kind of gave me the run-around, plus Wright had the truck I liked in the show room.

My wheels are pitting on the rough area of the wheel. In only 3 months, 2 of the wheels are starting to look bad. I'd say in a year it's going to be REALLY bad...

Do you see many Hummers around the burgh?? I see a TON of h3's everywhere. I frequently see 2 hummers around the east (monroeville, penn hills area) a lot.

It seems the ratio of H3 to H2 is like 50:1 here...

MDimitri
04-23-2007, 06:01 PM
Ceramic brake pad dust will pit your rims like crazy! There is a treatment out there that will help, but when we apply our brakes the ceramic dust acts like very very tiny spikes that embed themselves in the chrome, over time this will pit the rims. You need to use a very high grade polish to act as a barrier to this so that this does not occur. I will try to find the place to get this stuff and post it here in a bit. Thats why I don't bling!

Cheers!

mikejr
04-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Genob,

Same here, I live closer to Cochran too, but everytime i've ever gone there i've always gotten the run around. I was able to cut a deal with Wrights that I was pleased with. I'm over in the Lower Burrell area and there are about 1/2 dozen of H2's running around here. All in all though if I spend a day out on the road around pittsburgh i'll see maybe one H2.

Interesting post about the ceramic pads, i've seen those guards that they make that supposedly keeps the brake dust off the rims, I wonder if those would be a good solution to our pitting issue. If it gets bad enough, I'll either have to trade it in on a 2008 or get aftermarket rims....lol...I am not much of a blinger, it came with the uplevel chrome package and thats the extent of the blingage here.....

genob
04-24-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm over in Penn Hills... Everyone over here loves the bling :) I'm not too big on the overdoing of the chrome. I like just enough shine, but keeping it very classy. My truck has what every was installed on it :) Some of those people try to put chrome on every square inch of the truck, to each is own.

As for the wheels... I may end up getting another set of wheels for the summer... i'll probably only get a set of 17's to fit a 2nd set of factory size tires.

I do like those big tires people are putting on their h2's... but I don't do any offroading, so it's hard to justify :)

mikejr
04-24-2007, 09:11 PM
Genob....oh i've seen come really blinged up ones around the area.

I have the factory chrome and thats it. I like the ride that the stock tires have and like you, i havent off roaded it yet either. I like the looks of some of the low profile tires, but they have to kill the ride. About the only off roading i have done was getting back into some rural properties that i have for sale.

What color is your rig? slate blue metallic here. Dont see many of them around.

Boss Hoss
04-25-2007, 02:17 PM
Dont have to wheel your truck or not wheel your truck to get a nice tire/rim setup and you dont have to get rubberbands. Im running 20 x 10in rims on mine and it really gives a beefy stance that i look at on a regular basis and think im glad that i did that. With a 35in tire you still have plenty of sidewall for a comfortable ride granted you dont pick tsl's or boggers for your tires.

genob
04-25-2007, 05:22 PM
mike,

my truck is that deep blue color (midnight blue?). all stock, except the exhaust :)

MDimitri
04-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Here is the place I get all my vehicle detailing from:

AutoGeek! (http://www.autogeek.net/)

Look for the P21S Auto care products and wheel cleaning kit, this along with "Mothers" for Rims works great. The P21S is a PH controlled non acidic cleaner and will not take the wheel wax off when you wash it. A couple of applications per year and your good to go! When I completely detail my truck it takes a good 6 hours to complete.

Cheers!

mikejr
04-26-2007, 02:21 AM
MDimitri - thanks for the link, i'll check it out. i've been using Mother's products for ages, i am pleased with the results they give. I use their Back to Black on the plastic trim and it makes it shine great.

Boss Hoss - I agree there are some tire/rim combo's that look great. you have pics of yours? My daughter wants me to get some blingy rims on the H2...i pity the poor guy that marries her in 40 years...yes she's not dating till she's 50...LOL

Genob - I'll keep my eyes open for you. If you are ever in Lower Burrell look me up we have our business on the main drag through town. I've got company logos on my truck. I cant recall what the dark blue color is called.

genob
04-26-2007, 02:38 PM
my cousin lives in lower burrell, he's off of that main strip about a mile down the road past the Rita's. (i can't remember the name of that road).

I always have to go down 28 across that bridge then make a left at the gas station (i think it's a BP?) to get to his house...

I'm much more familiar with the city and monroeville area (i grew up in the city).

When i head back over to his house, i'll keep a look out for the hummer!

You gotta gotta get some 24" bling bling wheels with a matching spinner gold chain :giggling: jk!

mikejr
04-27-2007, 12:30 AM
Genob,

Well if you keep heading up on past Ritas, past Clemintines you will see our real estate company office just past Clemintines on the right. Big blue house with lots of windows, parking behind the building.

you know i like the looks of the bling....but not sure its for me. Somehow putting the low profile tires on to me just makes it look not as rugged or something...just my opinion.

i am hoping they have a 2008 at the pittsburgh car show...i am dying to see the interior in person.

Vt Hummer
04-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Mine pitted and the dealer replaced them with the new limited edition ones under warrentee.

genob
04-27-2007, 08:13 PM
Mine pitted and the dealer replaced them with the new limited edition ones under warrentee.

i'll be calling the dealer this weekend :)

Boss Hoss
04-28-2007, 12:30 AM
Boss Hoss - I agree there are some tire/rim combo's that look great. you have pics of yours? My daughter wants me to get some blingy rims on the H2...i pity the poor guy that marries her in 40 years...yes she's not dating till she's 50...LOL

Heres a couple:
with the pooch...
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/coryneal/HossSandDune.jpg

On the trail(pre blacked out front end):
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/coryneal/Tellico3.jpg

posing at the beach...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/coryneal/HummerBeachIceSkating332.jpg

What you cannot gather from these pics is the "beefy" stance it gives. Fist the tires are considerably wider from running a 35 x 13.50-20 and stretched a bit by a wide rim(20 x 10) and the rims themselve have a bit of offset so they stick out a bit. My truck looks considerably wider than a stock H2.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/coryneal/h2cablightneeded.jpg

mikejr
04-28-2007, 02:56 PM
Genob....let me know how it goes when you call the dealer. I have to make an appointment for general maintenance next week so i'll be asking about new rims too.

Boss ...nice looking rig. You are right it does have a wider stance than the stock wheel/tire set up. Do you catch any flack from the inspection people? I know in PA if your wheels are too wide they will ding you on the yearly safety inspection. How much do you have tied up in the wheel/tire combo? I've not been one to do much aftermarket stuff on my vehicles so i havent a clue what stuff even costs.