PDA

View Full Version : BACK -UP CAMERA QUESTION

HUM GOOD
04-24-2007, 03:03 PM
I currently have a license frame camera with no tire carrier. I am putting the carrier back on and relocating the plate. I want to leave the rim exposed because they are after market and I want it visible. My question is.....does anyone have any other cameras beside the frame that they recommend. I have seen the one that goes in the center rear marker....also one above the hitch and another directly in the hitch. Looking for some feedback. Thanks

JamesT
04-24-2007, 03:16 PM
I have the H Cam. Great product. see it at www.trailduty.com (http://www.trailduty.com)

HUM GOOD
04-24-2007, 03:28 PM
I have the H Cam. Great product. see it at www.trailduty.com (http://www.trailduty.com)

Yes, this is my first choice...Do you have a tire carrier? The specs say "with no tire carrier". If you do have the tire carrier - does it interfere with the view....it looks like it is adjustable...is it? One more questions - Can you see the hitch for hooking to the trailer? I would think not with a tire carrier.

Thanks for the info.

MattRoberts123
04-24-2007, 03:39 PM
I am curious about buying the one that is coming on all the 2007 Limited Edition H2s.... it goes in the rear bumper, above the trailer hitch in the metal part of the bumper... it has a bubble on it so you can see around the rear tire, and although I have not actually seen the image that the camera produces, I heard it was pretty good..

Wondering where we could order that part from, and if it is just an RCA output?

HUM GOOD
04-24-2007, 04:07 PM
^^^^^ yea - what he said

LV_H2
04-25-2007, 04:04 PM
I am curious about buying the one that is coming on all the 2007 Limited Edition H2s.... it goes in the rear bumper, above the trailer hitch in the metal part of the bumper... it has a bubble on it so you can see around the rear tire, and although I have not actually seen the image that the camera produces, I heard it was pretty good..

Wondering where we could order that part from, and if it is just an RCA output?

I have a 2007 LE Victory Red H2 with the back-up camera factory installed. It is exactly as you describe above. It is designed to work with the rear tire mounted.

The camera is designed to eliminate the blind spots and does this perfectly.
The "viewer" is located in a modified rear-view mirror which has a pop-out extension screen from the right side which deploys when you shift into Reverse. The location works very well, as you can look in the rearview mirror to see things "high" and behind, the screen to see things "Low" and behind, and your side view mirrors. There are no blind spots.

Note that the placement of the camera and the lense make judging distance difficult. It is designed to eliminate blind spots, not to judge backup distance. Having said that, you can get used to it and train yourself to help with distance.

prplprowlr
04-25-2007, 04:09 PM
My 2007 has the rear camera located in the bumper underneath the spare tire and I added a hard spare tire cover and it does not affect it from the rear tire already being their and the camera looks like a bubble from the outside but on the screen when the H2 is in reverse it gives off a fisheye image to me. It shows a wide shot that does look more downward but it does show whats immediatley behing you very well but the distance on it is not very good now i am biased on this because my wife has a 2007 escalade and her rear camera see's further back however the camera is located under the cadillac emblem on the rear hatch door so it might have to do with where it is mounted and it has much more height and clearence.

prplprowlr
04-25-2007, 04:13 PM
LV H2,
i was posting at the same time when you were posting and agree 100% in what you are saying about you cant judge distance but it is designed really for blind spots and is very effective at objects immediately behind you.

MattRoberts123
04-25-2007, 04:36 PM
Well sounds like it would work for me! I know the Mirror thingy is made by Hitch Cam... but who makes the camera?

LV_H2
04-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Matt,

Make sure that the rear bumper and tire mount positions on the SUT are the same as the SUV. I see your have an SUT, mine is an SUV.

Maybe someone out there has a 2007 LE SUT with the backup camera and can comment.